Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: trisha ( )
Date: April 21, 2011 03:14PM

So that means I am no longer a member right? I just tracked my resignation letter and they recieved it this morning.

From what I understand they have 30 days to send me the *official* letter stating I am no longer a member? Correct me if I am wrong, I am a newbie!

BTW, it feels GREAT!! Since finding out the church isn't true and leaving, my life has improved tremendously! My husband and I are closer, I have been spending more time with my children, and I feel a sense of peace. I never felt that when I was a TBM. All I ever felt was guilt, stress, and worry.

The past two nights I have taken my children for walks and we also went rollerblading. It feels good to get outside and enjoy the fresh air, I feel my whole perspective on life has changed. Just being outside feels different, if that makes sense. I feel happiness that I never felt before!

Everyone is leaving me alone for now, and that makes me happy. I just want to thank everyone that has been there for me and gave me advice these past 2 weeks, I wouldn't have been able to do it without you guys.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: April 21, 2011 03:18PM

Technically you weren't a member as soon as you sent the letter. The rest of this is just stuff and stuff.

No worries, ye be out now.

Enjoy!!!

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 21, 2011 04:42PM

Minor difference, but if you send it and it is never received at LDS Inc, your resignation is not in effect.

OP was incorrect about they having 30 days to respond. There is no specific timeline required by law. They have a reasonable time to process the resignation. I believe current LDS policy is that the resignation will be processed within 60 days, even if the local bishop and SP do not return the paperwork. In practice, most resignations seem to be processed in considerably less than 60 days.

It is all paper shuffling in any case. As soon as they receive your resignation, it takes legal effect.

Posted by: Finally did it! ( )
Date: April 21, 2011 04:23PM

My family sent our letters in two weeks ago. We got the confirmation two days later. (You are right it is a wonderful free feeling). Yesterday we received a letter from the church head quarters telling us that our resignation was an ecclesiastical matter and that our letters had been sent to our stake president and the bishop. We are now waiting to see if we hear from them or just get the letter of proof that our names have been removed. oh, they also sent an invitation to come back and hoped that we weren't offended.(Not offended, just finally got a brain).

Posted by: BarrioPiedrabuena ( )
Date: April 22, 2011 04:49AM

I sent my resignation letter in Aug 2010 and didn't get my Dodge letter until Oct 2010. I think they thought that after three months I would have changed my mind. Nope!

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: April 22, 2011 10:22AM

Congrats OP and to the others as well. What a beautiful time of yr. to find freedom - at last.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.