Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Analytics ( )
Date: April 22, 2011 02:21PM

The website www.lds4u.com is for sale on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120715252677

When it was launched 9 years ago, it was immediately embraced by the exmormon community as being a source for accurate information about the church.

I haven't updated it in several years, and the project no longer interests me. I'm selling the site to the highest bidder, with the sales revenue going to charity.

If anybody here is interested in carrying the tourch, please bid.

Thanks!

-Roger

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: April 22, 2011 03:01PM

That's a shame - it is a useful link to send people who wanted the inside dope on the missionary tactics and discussions. How much would it cost to simply maintain it as is, without updating? Is it just a matter of the annual domain fee, or is there more involved?

At least it is archived at www.webarchive.org ....

Posted by: SpongeBob SquareGarments ( )
Date: April 22, 2011 04:29PM

RPackham Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That's a shame - it is a useful link to send
> people who wanted the inside dope on the
> missionary tactics and discussions. How much
> would it cost to simply maintain it as is, without
> updating? Is it just a matter of the annual domain
> fee, or is there more involved?
>
> At least it is archived at www.webarchive.org ....

It's not the info that I'm concerned about as that's always available with wayback machines and archiving services, it's the valuable search listings that will disappear. It's a shame.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2011 04:30PM by SpongeBob SquareGarments.

Posted by: WickedTwin ( )
Date: April 30, 2011 08:35PM

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: May 02, 2011 01:47PM

been involved in the run up.

Posted by: AngelCowgirl ( )
Date: April 22, 2011 03:09PM

Wish I had the time and know-how... out of curiosity, have you done anything to protect your identity in terms of domain registration, etc.? If somebody wanted to find out who owned the site, for example. Probably a dumb question, but all this new-fangled technology keeps me on my toes.

Posted by: AngelCowgirl ( )
Date: April 22, 2011 03:25PM

Yikes, I just did a Google search and within five minutes learned how to look up the owner of a domain... and, wow, there is an awful lot of personal info available. Too much for me to risk, but hotdamn I admire your courage!

Posted by: Vlad ( )
Date: May 09, 2011 12:50PM

Hi I am the new owner of www.lds4u.com . I am not a mormon and not an ex-mormon, all my affiliation with either side does not go further than having a mormon coworker and ex-mormon client sometime in early 90s. Can't say anything bad about neither one of them. I talked a couple of times with mormon missionaries in Eastern Europe and visited service once, that's all.
So about the website, I have no intentions to shut the site down or edit existing articles or anything like that. However I do hope that site will become self-sustainable sometime in the future, either through donations , or Amazon sales or in some other way.

Date: April 22, 2011 03:20PM

Hi Richard,

It's $5 a month for the web-hosting fees, and then something like another $10 every two years for the domain registration. No work other than paying those 2 bills.

It will probably sell for cheap, so if you would like to bid on it (perhaps as part of the exmo foundation?), you can just take over the bills.

Date: April 22, 2011 03:22PM

I'm not sure if there is a rock-solid way to completely keep your identity private. I don't like my name splashed all over it for personal and professional reasons, but if somebody wants to research it, they can identify me, and I have no problem with that.

Date: April 22, 2011 04:28PM

Analytics Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm not sure if there is a rock-solid way to
> completely keep your identity private. I don't
> like my name splashed all over it for personal and
> professional reasons, but if somebody wants to
> research it, they can identify me, and I have no
> problem with that.

Most web hosting services have a privacy feature that prevents people from finding out who you are. It's extra but not that much money.

I agree with Richard, you should try to just pass this on to the Exmo Fnd for some reasonable compensation if you cared at all about keeping your message out there. No doubt, some TBMs will outbid the Exmos as they are far more numerous and well-funded.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: April 22, 2011 04:56PM

Date: April 22, 2011 06:06PM

Exactly. The world will be fine regardless of whether or not I'm making a stand re: Mormonism.

Date: April 30, 2011 08:42PM

It would be a shame to sell it to a TBM for that and watch it turn faith promoting.

Posted by: winnip ( )
Date: May 02, 2011 02:06PM

Auction just ended...$280
Wonder who got it?

Date: May 02, 2011 05:20PM

We'll know soon enough. I bet them More Good Fnd picked it up. $280, wow that will make a big difference to the Huntsman Foundation. He should have given it to the Exmo Fnd or someone else to preserve his words.

very disappointed.

Posted by: Vlad ( )
Date: May 09, 2011 12:51PM

Hi I am the new owner of www.lds4u.com . I am not a mormon and not an ex-mormon, all my affiliation with either side does not go further than having a mormon coworker and ex-mormon client sometime in early 90s. Can't say anything bad about neither one of them. I talked a couple of times with mormon missionaries in Eastern Europe and visited service once, that's all.
So about the website, I have no intentions to shut the site down or edit existing articles or anything like that. However I do hope that site will become self-sustainable sometime in the future, either through donations , or Amazon sales or in some other way.

Date: May 09, 2011 02:04PM

Date: May 09, 2011 01:10PM

That's encouraging news. I still can't believe the MoreGood Fnd didn't outbid you.

You can always add advertising and then all you pay is the Domain name upkeep which is almost nothing.

Good luck and thanks for sharing that with us.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.