Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Nick Humphrey ( )
Date: April 23, 2011 08:07PM

my wife told me tonight about an interesting post somewhere (probably on feministmormonhousewives) where a lady said something about aborting an unborn child would have to be fine since the church doesnt seal miscarried babies to convert families. or do they?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: KC ( )
Date: April 23, 2011 08:10PM

and is why abortion is not forbidden in the lds church, only restricted for cases of incest, rape, health of mother.

Date: April 23, 2011 08:20PM

you would most likely not get a temple recommend if you recently aborted a fetus in the name of prevention only and not one of those 3 CH reasons...

if there is no doctrine on sealing miscarried fetuses, then it is indirectly implying that such fetuses are not considered children/"souls"... thus the 3-exception rule makes no sense...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2011 08:21PM by Nick Humphrey.

Posted by: KC ( )
Date: April 23, 2011 08:24PM

they can shout all they want about it being murder, but until they forbid all abortions AND include still born and miscaried children as needing to be sealed and on the records of the church, they cannot claim the spirit enters the body until after birth, or the breath of life occurs. They will never do this because it opens them up to doctrinal inconsistancies including the Lord himself apearing to others while he was suposed to be in Mary's belly.

Date: April 23, 2011 08:28PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2011 08:32PM by Nick Humphrey.

Posted by: Anon455 ( )
Date: April 23, 2011 08:12PM

The only time an unborn child is ever sealed is if they were late term and would have survived had not something occurred....and even that is a rare thing. It's usually just for the sake of the parents.

I know of one case personally where the infant never took a breath but was sealed anyway....for the parent's peace of mind.

I think of lot of temple work is not necessary but done for the living's sake.

Posted by: chipsnsalsa ( )
Date: April 23, 2011 09:51PM

Official LDS doctrine is that stillborn children may be listed as BIC on family group records.

http://lds.org/ensign/1987/09/i-have-a-question?lang=eng

HOWEVER, I was raised very firmly with the idea that mothers who miscarry their children at any stage will have the opportunity to raise them in the eternities.

You want to ask the dumb moms on Babycenter?

http://community.babycenter.com/post/a19789485/kind_of_a_weird_question..

"If you ask Pro-Life people the Church's stance is not prolife. The church has a very laxed stance according to them. "

Sadly, I agree with this statement.

Date: April 24, 2011 03:31PM

chipsnsalsa Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Official LDS doctrine is that stillborn children
> may be listed as BIC on family group records.
>
> http://lds.org/ensign/1987/09/i-have-a-question?la
> ng=eng
"
Church policy does permit a family to record stillborn children on their family group record *if they wish to do so.*

Miscarriages, however, are not normally recorded on family group records.

It should be noted, however, that no temple ordinances are performed in behalf of a stillborn child.

Elder Joseph Fielding Smith wrote that “there is no information given by revelation in regard to the status of stillborn children."

He said nothing about miscarried children.

One issue involved is whether an unborn child in the mother’s womb is a living soul. The answer to that question may depend in part on the answer to another question—When does the spirit enter the body? On this second question some Church leaders have made comments. President Brigham Young said he believed that “when the mother feels life come to her infant it is the spirit entering the body.” (Journal of Discourses, 17:143.)
some Church leaders have suggested that a living soul does not exist until three essential elements—the body, the spirit, and the breath of life—are all present.
"

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2011 03:33PM by Nick Humphrey.

Posted by: Carol Y. ( )
Date: April 24, 2011 04:02PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.