Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Stormy ( )
Date: April 24, 2011 04:57PM

We arrived very early to mass..no one wants to stand with kids. So the boys decided to count the color of shirts the men were wearing..ok they could of been praying but realistically a minute max is about it.

Results only white shirts were worn by men in the c
Choir...6....and they had on suits and ties..75% of the dress shirts were blue and a few green and yellow..

The boys had blue jake since says no white dress shirts allowed..guess he hated those white shirts each Sunday.

I love kids when they can amuse themselves..quietly.

stormy

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: April 24, 2011 05:08PM

I went to mass too and most men were not wearing suits and ties. They were a little more dressy than an ordinary Sunday but they sure didn't look like Mormons. Women were more dressed up than men but a lot wore pants. There were some shorts and jeans on both sexes.Another big difference was that it was quiet even though it was standing room only in a large cathedral and there were many babies and small children. Oh, yes, it was about Easter and Jesus.

Posted by: deb ( )
Date: April 24, 2011 05:10PM

I know this time of yr it's inappropriate but I've always felt a good look @ far @ a suit, is the suit and then have on a black or brown turtleneck as opposed to the typical shirt and tie.

Date: April 24, 2011 09:11PM

Me too and so did some of the men today including mine...

stormy

Posted by: brefots ( )
Date: April 24, 2011 05:21PM

The choir had their robes, and the congreation seemed to have their everyday clothes, except an old lady that is from america, who looked like she was going to a wedding (not her own).

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 24, 2011 05:45PM

He said that normal attendance is about 1,200. This is at our local parish church. I had no idea that it holds so many people!

Posted by: nwmcare ( )
Date: April 24, 2011 07:50PM

Who was looking at what people were wearing? I was checking out the flowers and decorations and listening to the choir--I love Easter Mass!

But heck yeah,the CEO's (Christmas and Easter, only) were out in full force! We ended up parking in the high school lot down the street and standing in the back--and we were a half hour early for the noon Mass!

All y'all have a great Easter!

Date: April 24, 2011 09:10PM

I know better and we leave early for mass..now ya think boys are going to be looking at the flowers..i was they not so much.

They were standing outside...our associate pastor announced to think about 6:30 mass next year..plenty of seats..yawn..

The women were more dressed up than the men..no robes for the choir.

Next week we will take the boys to a high mass..latin at a monastary..

Hope you all had a great day and everyone with young kids are kicking back with a glass of something cool and the kids are in bed.

stormy

Posted by: laluna ( )
Date: April 24, 2011 11:50PM

I love the Easter mass as well. This year, I went to the Easter Vigil mass as I was a sponsor for a candidate. It was lovely. I had not been to one in so long because I have young children who can't make it through a three hour mass. We began outside with lit candles, processed into the church, sat in the semi-darkness (no lights on) during the first readings and then, at sundown, the lights were turned on, the bells were rung, and the alleluia's were sung boisterously as the interior of the church, with all the beautiful flowers around the altar, was revealed in the light. It was really breathtaking. I was so glad to be able to go this year.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: April 24, 2011 09:12PM

Well, I didn't take a survey or count, but since the subject has been discussed here, I did look around and notice..

Date: April 24, 2011 09:38PM

stormy--if you do go to a Latin Mass, just make sure you find a missal so the boys can follow along!

And then, just for kicks, find a Life Teen Mass the week after--talk about raising the roof. And the best part? Teenagers actually paying attention and participating--so cool!

Date: April 24, 2011 10:05PM

Thanks for the great ideas...they have missals there..
The other mass they would love... I'm going to look for one..the boys don't mind going to mass..they are catholic school kids do they go during the week also..oldest made his first communion, youngest next think ing about inviting the inlaws to give them a different perspective on it.

I think kids need some framework but not always religious..you can raise good decent kids out of a religious context..

And later I feel it 's their choice..oh please no mollies which mean as soon as hormones start no trips to the corridor...that 's how poor jake was snared by a never mo catholic...

stormy

Date: April 24, 2011 10:58PM

There are plenty of great people who do not espouse any religion!

But like you, I sent my kids to Catholic schools and I'm glad I did--'cause while some of them no longer attend church or practice a religion, they'll still tell you that they're Catholic. They have been given a strong sense of identity--of who they are and what they are about that streches around the world, across time and cultures and I really appreciate that.

And then again, some of the kids still go to church. And always invite thier Morg cousins, who have decided we have way more fun activities because except for the occasional prayer, mostly we just have fun and games or go out and do community service (boy, was that an odd concept for them at first)!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2011 11:00PM by nwmcare.

Date: April 24, 2011 11:11PM

Community service is a condition of attending our parish school..the boys love doing stuff like that..but they are still young. Bet those cousins had a diffetent kind of fun...

stormy

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.