Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: April 24, 2011 09:49PM

In my BYU ward we got a new bishopric. We were meeting in an assembly room in the old BY Academy (long before it became a library), where we had wooden floors. We were all waiting for the meeting to start, but there were no leaders up front. We sat there dozing while the piano player played.

Suddenly the doors burst open with a bang, and the three members of the bishopric came in dribbling and passing a basketball back and forth, kind of shouting "whoop!" to each other as they passed, stopped and dribbled, calling out again and threw the ball to the next bishopric member. We were all sufficiently gobsmacked and thinking WTF? (What-the-flip)

We had to spend the next school year with these idiots.

Got stories?

PS: I'm writing from Hong Kong today! Who knew? My flight was delayed from Chicago and I missed my onward flight (Jakarta). I got a voucher for Marriott Sky City, where Bill Marriott and his dad are looking at the patrons from a large formal portrait on the wall. You just can't get away from these dudes, can you? Kick-ass breakfast, though. Fantastic coffee, like I've never had before--a strong, dark, and tasty drip. A Chinese guy with an enormous "Alfalfa"-like cow-lick kept helping me in and out of my breakfast chair as I went back and forth to the buffet multiple times. It was a stroke of good luck to be able to get a bed and hot shower before flying on. No time to run into town, unfortunately.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: síóg ( )
Date: April 25, 2011 02:11AM

No weird bishopric stunt stories, but it's neat to hear about your forced layover in Hong Kong. Thanks! Glad the coffee's good; I had a different impression of it in the Marriott I stayed in somewhere else.

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: April 25, 2011 09:00AM

In 1981 my second year in US, we had whopping $700 saving, I was making whopping $3.50 hour wage, my wife was a second year teacher, together I don't think we made more than $14K that year. She felt this dreadful urge/guilt feeling to catch up with our tithing, in Bishop's office we sat down, Bishop was acting like our Boss, I don't recall Him telling us "Thank You".
Well that was the last time I paid full tithing. I can never forget Bishops "I'm Entitled" attitude.

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: April 25, 2011 11:07AM

cludgie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> PS: I'm writing from Hong Kong today! Who knew? My
> flight was delayed from Chicago and I missed my
> onward flight (Jakarta). I got a voucher for
> Marriott Sky City, where Bill Marriott and his dad
> are looking at the patrons from a large formal
> portrait on the wall. You just can't get away from
> these dudes, can you? Kick-ass breakfast, though.
> Fantastic coffee, like I've never had before--a
> strong, dark, and tasty drip. A Chinese guy with
> an enormous "Alfalfa"-like cow-lick kept helping
> me in and out of my breakfast chair as I went back
> and forth to the buffet multiple times. It was a
> stroke of good luck to be able to get a bed and
> hot shower before flying on. No time to run into
> town, unfortunately.

I enjoyed Hong Kong when I had a 2-day layover there when going to Yokohama in 2007. I'll have to check out the Marriott hotel you're referring to. I stayed at the Conrad in town and loved it.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: April 25, 2011 11:34AM

The breakfast sounds heavenly. Glad you received some pampering.

I can't understand the point the priesthood guys were trying to make with the basketball demonstration. Just a bid for attention? Isn't that game playing behavior considered bad form on a Sunday?

I've been in that old building. It was when I was sixteen and spending the summer with my TBM relatives in Provo.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: April 26, 2011 07:41AM

The bishop got up to the pulpit and announce that they were trying to show us how hyped they were to be our new bishopric. They said they were full of excitement. Some people just thought they were full of shit.

I DID have time to run into town, as it turned out. This Marriott was right by the Expo Centre, and there is the Airport Express that runs into Kowloon and Hong Kong. I took it just to Kowloon and took a nice long walk on the waterfront promenade. It was very First World, clean and nice. The train was even better than the Japanese trains, and they're hard to beat.

Posted by: unworthy ( )
Date: April 25, 2011 01:49PM

I don't know if it was a stunt,,but just stupid. They were just installing a new bishop in the ward. A new member was just moving in to the ward to open a new business. He wasn't even unpacked and didn't know a person there. They installed him as a 1st counslor to the bishop. What a joke. He very seldom showed up for meetings because his business ran on Sunday. That went on for 5-6 months before they released him.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: April 25, 2011 03:59PM

As in spending a day at the church farm with a gazillion other dutiful mormons picking grapes and placing them on paper in the hot California sun.

One Sunday, el obispo called the ward together for a special meeting after the regular block's meetings. A call to Missouri perhaps? Nope, just an admonition that "picking grapes" was a commandment, and free agency was not involved.

I got up and walked out during his delivery. Every eye in the congregation watched me go. Some disdain, others surprised, and a few smiles, with subsequent "way to go"s from other members like me.

Any time I've seen "new" people enter into a bishopric, they start out with energy and bring some of their personality into the calling. But, it's not long until they lose all that and turn into obedient pod people.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: April 25, 2011 04:13PM

Well, having a hot affair with the Relief Society President was weird. Especially seeing as his wife was an utter drop dead gorgeous babe and the RS President was an evil shrew who everyone hated.

Posted by: notion ( )
Date: April 26, 2011 10:16AM

It's hard to have sex with your wife when you are in meetings all the time ... he probably saw this RS president more often than his own wife.

Posted by: Anubis ( )
Date: April 26, 2011 10:19AM

Some of the hotter women don't think much of the bedroom.
(not all but some)

The RS Pres could have been a freak in the sack!

Posted by: Lost ( )
Date: April 25, 2011 04:20PM

Weirdest stunt I ever saw was a new Bishop (it was valentine's day) handing out Hershey's Kisses from the pulpit to each sister. They were *encouraged* to give him a hug when they got their *kiss* at the puplit. (Yes each sister formed a line, etc etc.)

It was so just so bizzare...a twilight zone moment. LOL

Posted by: rmw ( )
Date: April 26, 2011 09:43AM

Gross. You win...

Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: April 26, 2011 09:18AM

Tried telling me that I was unworthy of my tbm wife because I only held family prayer a couple times a week. Suggested that she might be justified in divorcing me. I saved her the trouble four months later after her controlling ways got freak. (There are those here who know just how bizarre the woman is.)

Posted by: FreeRose ( )
Date: April 26, 2011 09:28AM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.