Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: wondering... ( )
Date: April 25, 2011 10:06AM

Last Sunday before Easter we had two high councilors speak at my wifes ward. The first one only mentioned the Savior when he closed in His name. The second one mentioned the Savior one time. Any other thoughts of the Savior were just indirect references.

Yesterday, Easter Sunday, they had ward speakers and none of the topics were about Easter. I told my wife I could not believe that the Savior is hardly ever mentioned and why would someone investigating the church not be concerned.

Anyone else noticing this issue?

One other question. Are there any wards out there that have a more modern look in their chapels? Ours is so drab with no paintings, no windows, etc. No wonder half the people appear to be nodding off and see it as uninviting.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: April 25, 2011 10:29AM

Wow. That surprises me. I would have thought that at least at Easter time, they'd talk about the Atonement.

Every chapel I've been in pretty much looks the same.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: April 25, 2011 10:34AM

As a nevermo I think it is not common knowledge perhaps for most Mormons to think this is odd. It surely is odd if the person is a convert from a mainstream religion. Easter is ALL about Jesus and it is all that the sermon is about. WE had a series of 8 sermons at my church telling about the last week of Jesus' life. Very informative and I enjoyed it. Mormnism is weird. Sorry you have to experience this.

Posted by: chulotc is snarky ( )
Date: April 25, 2011 10:57AM

Honestone, Easter has nothing to do with the myth of baby jesus. It's a spring fertility festival that the roman catholic church later hijacked and turned it into a day to remember the so-called death and resurrection of their version of the schizophrenic savior deity...

Just sayin'...

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: April 25, 2011 11:13AM

chulotc Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Honestone, Easter has nothing to do with the myth
> of baby jesus. It's a spring fertility festival
> that the roman catholic church later hijacked and
> turned it into a day to remember the so-called
> death and resurrection of their version of the
> schizophrenic savior deity...
>
> Just sayin'...
There are certainly pagan aspects, but there are also Jewish influences and Jesus is certainly part of it. It isn't true that it is all pagan.That is an oversimplification

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: April 25, 2011 09:22PM

chulotc, of course it is a time for celebrations of new life, fertility,etc. We know that. But our tradition is also a religious one. And whether you like it or not, at church, Easter is ALL about Jesus on this holy day. Wish it were also this way for all Mormons since they too claim to be Christian.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: April 25, 2011 10:58AM

All through the time I was active in the church (until the mid '70s) Easter services were always very much about Jesus.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: April 25, 2011 11:15AM

Stray Mutt Wrote:
> All through the time I was active in the church
> (until the mid '70s) Easter services were always
> very much about Jesus.

I think it depends on the ward. When I was attending in the 60s it was pretty much hit and miss and we often had stake conference where Jesus was an afterthought

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: April 25, 2011 11:01AM

On Palm Sunday, the Stake High Councilman in my husband's ward talked about the importance of keeping the church clean and the inspired plan to have the members clean the facility.

We went elsewhere for Easter.

Posted by: tawanda2011 ( )
Date: April 25, 2011 11:08AM

The last 2 Sundays before I resigned I had hoped Jesus would be talked about, he wasn't. JC hadn't been talked about since the 1970's in this ward. They only talk about how "unworthy" everyone is and all the things you need to do to "get worthy."

Posted by: tawanda2011 ( )
Date: April 25, 2011 11:16AM

Exmollymo, I thought tscc lessons were the same everywhere. I forgot to mention I resigned after Christmas. Jesus was not talked about at christmas. Doesn't matter because it was another thing to prompt me to leave

Posted by: jan ( )
Date: April 25, 2011 08:30PM

tawanda2011 Wrote:
> Exmollymo, I thought tscc lessons were the same
> everywhere. I forgot to mention I resigned after
> Christmas. Jesus was not talked about at
> christmas.

Jesus isn't talked about in December, because Mormons celebrate Smithmas (is it Dec 23?) rather than Christmas.

Posted by: exmollymo ( )
Date: April 25, 2011 11:09AM

I was sick this Easter and didn't have to attend church with my TBM husband. (divine intervention?) I asked him what the speakers talked about and he said the resurrection. He almost seemed offended that I would ask. He acted like every Easter is devoted to Christ (as it should be, IMO). I reminded him that last year, GC was on Easter. We live in the Bible Belt and I think our ward is so used to hearing about Jesus in their day to day culture from all the local BaptistS, that they incorporate Jesus more into our Church services.

In primary my kids also had Easter lessons.

I don't know what was taught in gospel doctrine since my husband is a primary teacher.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: April 25, 2011 11:20AM

The one time I actually persuaded someone to agree to come to church with me was for Easter Sunday. At last I could show that yes we really are Christians!

When I arrived it was quickly apparent that this was Fast and Testimony meeting. I looked in horror for my friend, who surely must be late. I prayed that he would not come. Pleasepleaseplease don't come today. Thankfully he never did show up.

Afterward there were quite a few people who felt rather strongly about there being no Easter presentation, but the Bishop said that it was Fast Sunday and sometimes these things happen. This is more important. Maybe we can do something next week...

In hindsight, I wish he had brought his whole family and friends. Oh, I'd be embarrassed to death, but it would have been worth it in the long run.

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: April 25, 2011 09:10PM

All the talks in my ward yesterday were totally related to Easter. :-)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.