Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: athreehourbore ( )
Date: April 25, 2011 02:05PM

Anonymously or not, do you ever say controversial things or ask questions in forums & blogs online just to get people riled up and watch the predictable mayhem that results?

I do. Call it psychopathic to use other people as hamsters to observe in my own social experiments, but I simply love doing it and will never stop.

Some of you do, too. Admit it.

I have done it here to a degree and am thinking it might be less counterproductive, and even more amusing, to do it on different sites under a different avatar, since I have actually begun making real-life friends on this board. I need a different means of expressing the same desire.

Any thoughts?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2011 04:33PM by athreehourbore.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: April 25, 2011 02:11PM

When I was in university and taking a gender studies course, I participated in various chats and forums as a man and also as myself (a woman).

I didn't do it to stir up trouble but just to see what it was like to be male, at least virtually, for my own interests.

I guess me pointing out a thread on fMh might be seen as shit stirring... oooo, never thought about it like that! Oooops.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2011 03:27PM by Susan I/S.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: April 25, 2011 02:14PM

Posted by: Happy_Heretic ( )
Date: April 25, 2011 03:07PM

+1

HH =)

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: April 25, 2011 03:18PM

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: April 25, 2011 04:39PM

Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: April 25, 2011 02:55PM

Nope, not me. Hate drama.

However, there's a guy who posts on the local paper's website whenever there's an article about the Boise State Bronco football team. He always posts something stupid and negative that's obviously trollish. Something like the players are really bad and couldn't play for a real team. Or they're stupid and couldn't get into a better college. The same people fall for it over and over and over. They start insulting and bashing and name calling. You can feel the heat of their fury. If the fury starts to die down, the troll comes back and posts "You nerds." Which starts it all over again. The troll can spend several days keeping it stirred on just one article.

I can just picture the guy sitting back and laughing at the power he has. A few little words from him and he has a dozen full grown men exactly where he wants them, their emotions under his control.

I've always wondered if guys like this troll feel like they have no power IRL, or if they're real wimps who are afraid they'll get beat up if they do this IRL, or what it is that causes them to love stirring up drama among people they don't even know.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2011 03:27PM by Susan I/S.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: April 25, 2011 03:28PM

Posted by: Satan ( )
Date: April 25, 2011 03:10PM

Posted by: tony ( )
Date: April 25, 2011 03:17PM

+1!!! Satan FTW!

Date: April 25, 2011 03:34PM

I think the best trolling would not be obvious...it's creating CogDis or bring attention to the issues, but in a different, more subtle way that also amuses the hell out of those who are in on the joke.

When someone "on your side" brings up the issue while pretending to defend it, the Morg programming does not auto-reject it as they do rational arguments and facts. Look at all the conservatives who watch The Colbert Report.

It's a way to elicit amusing reactions from the same group of people with the added humor of fooling them, like those chat with a missionary transcripts I see posted frequently.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: April 25, 2011 03:41PM

isn't it?

Actually, it isn't psychopathic, but rather it is childish.

And yeah, your are right in what you suspect. Admin here are not fools and have low tolerance for disruptives.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2011 03:41PM by matt.

Date: April 25, 2011 03:45PM

I see. So it's funny when others post transcripts of chats with a missionary, or instances of trolling on other boards, but not if I were to do it on other boards.

And again, I'm not talking about trolling on THIS board.

Date: April 25, 2011 03:52PM

athreehourbore Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I see. So it's funny when others post transcripts
> of chats with a missionary, or instances of
> trolling on other boards, but not if I were to do
> it on other boards.
>
> And again, I'm not talking about trolling on THIS
> board.

Really? so we are to believe that when you said...
>I have done it here to a degree...

That was untrue and that you haven't done it here?

Date: April 25, 2011 04:13PM

My original post is about how I don't want to stir shiz up here, but on OTHER sites besides this one.

Ergo, by saying "I'm not talking about trolling on THIS board" I was proposing the idea of trolling on OTHER boards (like TBM boards).

I'm afraid that in your haste to try and be smart you missed the point. Or you didn't read my post. Or think about it.

How much more clearly do I need to write? Seems like you guys are just out for blood. Simmer down...you just trolled YOURSELF.

Date: April 25, 2011 04:50PM

athreehourbore Wrote:
> My original post is about how I don't want to stir
> shiz up here, but on OTHER sites besides this
> one.
>
> Ergo, by saying "I'm not talking about trolling on
> THIS board" I was proposing the idea of trolling
> on OTHER boards (like TBM boards).
>
> I'm afraid that in your haste to try and be smart
> you missed the point. Or you didn't read my post.
> Or think about it.
>
> How much more clearly do I need to write? Seems
> like you guys are just out for blood. Simmer
> down...you just trolled YOURSELF.

But in your original post you admitted you HAD trolled on this board.

>I have done it here to a degree...

That's what you said.

Date: April 25, 2011 05:24PM

Congratulations...you misunderstood me and are still attempting to disprove a point I did not make.

Sigh. You're wrong...let it go.

Date: April 25, 2011 05:28PM

athreehourbore Wrote:
> Congratulations...you misunderstood me and are
> still attempting to disprove a point I did not
> make.
>
> Sigh. You're wrong...let it go.

I get it! You are actually trolling within this thread when you protest that you don't troll on this board!

That actually is quite clever, in a twisted way.

Date: April 25, 2011 06:10PM

Finally, you get it! My cover is blown.

I like to announce on boards that I intend to troll that same board in the future.

Then I ask people on that board what they would think if I trolled there, and if they ever troll on the same board, too.

And to further add to the mayhem, I refer in my original post to the site that I'm on as "different siteS," instead of "this sitE"

And I would have gotten away with it, too, if it weren't for you pesky kids.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2011 06:25PM by athreehourbore.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: April 25, 2011 03:51PM

In other words, trollism.

Date: April 25, 2011 03:56PM

I don't think Shiner Bock or What is Wanted would share your disdain:

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,174900,175281#msg-175281

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,145534,145787#msg-145787

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,131941,131941#msg-131941

But let me guess...it's funny when others do it, but not me.

Date: April 25, 2011 04:11PM

no matter where it happens or who does it.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: April 25, 2011 04:14PM

Date: April 25, 2011 04:35PM

I don't try to do it here much, but on the trib forums I did it just the other day. The guy has a thick skull and was making me angry. I trolled him like a charm, it was quite beautiful.

Date: April 25, 2011 04:50PM

I intentionally trolled here once to test out poe's law. I responded to some religious type thread talking about how scientists are liars, while at the same time scientific advancements had proven a bunch of religious concepts.

Within an hour I was flamed pretty harshly about four or five times. Poe's law is apparently true. My position was so ridiculous, people thought I was a wacko religious fundamentalist.

I did feel bad and apologized afterwards. Despite the fact that I'm constantly accused of being a troll, I don't particularly enjoy trolling people on purpose.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: April 25, 2011 05:31PM

Nah, I'm not the type to do stuff like that. Not that I don't wish I was, LOL, but I'm not. I'd make a lousy actress, because the only thing I know how to be is myself.

Back in '98, I tried coming incognito into the chat room I was involved with at the time. I lasted about 5 minutes, felt silly, and confessed who I was.

I just can't seem to pull it off.

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: April 25, 2011 06:28PM

...back in the day I use to be an excellent internet fly-fishermen. Landed many a beauties, too.

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: April 25, 2011 06:29PM

Human Wrote:
> ...back in the day I use to be an excellent
> internet fly-fishermen. Landed many a beauties,
> too.

Today I'm just too lazy a writer to troll or use the fly.

(Correction: Landed many a beauty, too.)

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: April 25, 2011 06:35PM

You could feel almost feel the board's pain. It was horrible.

There are a lot of emotionally vulnerable people here in different stages of recovery and with different tolerance levels for triggers and pain. There are also many, many empathetic people who absorb emotions like a sponge. To troll people on an, oh, *recovery board*, is very, very douchey.

Posted by: Stormy ( )
Date: April 25, 2011 08:41PM

No

stormy

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.