Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: April 25, 2011 07:58PM

That's on the SW corner of Springmill Rd & 116th St. They've got the graphic turned on its side so that north points to the left. When I was a teen, I was in an accident there, and my car went off into that field. :)

Dad thought it was going to be on the NE corner.

Right across the street is where the infamous hog farmer was. The developer of the offices at Meridian and 116th screwed him out of a land deal, so he started raising hogs. The stench was awful and right next door to all those office buildings. He had an enormous American flag. Pretty funny.

Anyway, I have many memories of the beautiful drive down Springmill Rd. with its tall ash trees and dark woods. It's not like that anymore with all the housing developments, but it's still a very nice area.

It's too bad about the Mormon temple. Maybe the hog farmer will come back.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cecilia ( )
Date: April 25, 2011 08:26PM

I always loved that drive on Springmill Rd., too. I suppose I'll take a drive up there when the temple is finished. It's too bad it's being built in that nice area.

Posted by: ladybug ( )
Date: April 26, 2011 08:39AM

I was confused a bit by the map....Your explanation makes sense.

Date: April 26, 2011 08:42AM

Did you see that have a spot for bicycle parking? made me laugh for some reason...

Date: April 26, 2011 08:52AM

What Mormons ride their bikes to church? Also, Springmill Road is a bit narrow for bikes. Looks good on a spec though. lol

Posted by: oddcouplet ( )
Date: April 25, 2011 08:24PM

Maybe that's a new doctrine in support of the limited geography theory, where the Isthmus of Tehuantepec is the "narrow neck of land."

Date: April 26, 2011 09:04AM

This is a website copyrighted by "Intellectual Reserve, Inc." Wasn't there some recent hand wringing from them about not being "Mormons" or "The Mormon Church" but to call them by their fully awkward mouthful of a name? Now, here's the website: www.indianapolismormontemple.org

Fail.

Posted by: kookoo4kokaubeam ( )
Date: April 26, 2011 10:23AM

Hmmmm. Not sure if there is a need for another chapel on the northside.

Date: April 26, 2011 10:31AM

I was thinking that, too. Does that mean the Carmel and Zionsville wards will have their own chapels now instead of sharing? I'll have to ask my mom.

Date: April 26, 2011 04:00PM

If they are building next to the temple I would assume it would be a new stake center for the North Stake.

Date: April 26, 2011 04:58PM

It is the fastest growing area and they have done some suffling around. I know they redistricted not long ago-not really a split-just changing boundries. I know Indy 2nd ward used to meet in the fishers building but now travels to the Cumberland building which is farther away for most people.

Will be interesting to see what they do with it-whether they will redistrict again.

As far as a new stake, could be. They redid the stake boundries many years ago too and I know Anderson and Fishers both got moved to whatever stake Muncie is. Fishers thought it was pretty stupid. Many lived in the same subdivision that the North stake building was in, yet had to drive 45 min to "their" stake center.

Date: April 26, 2011 05:25PM

Okay, just talked to a secretary at work (Westfield ward). Fishers got moved back to the Indy North stake but Noblesville is still in the Muncie Stake. So something could be done to bring them back more local.

There is a Zionsville Branch that is off Michigan Road between 106th and 116th (she said it will be very close to the temple). At that buliding, the Zionsville Branch meet and the "new" Carmel Ward which was created in the redistricting of the Carmel ward.

There is a Ward in Westfield which was the "old" Carmel ward but now is renamed the Westfield ward (but the members are mostly from the old Carmel ward-and some from Zionsville.

The wards in Fishers includes Fishers1 and Fishers 2 and the Noblesville ward.

Hard to say what the plan might be....

Date: April 26, 2011 05:39PM

BTW, it's a branch now? It was a ward when I left on my mission from there more than 20 years ago. Anyway, it's only three miles from where the new temple and meetinghouse are going in.

Date: April 26, 2011 05:56PM

I didn't know it was now a branch, either. I attended the Zionsville ward at the Shelborne Rd. location until 1997.

Date: April 26, 2011 06:13PM

Yes, in 2009 when they redistricted everything, part of Zionsville became part of the 'new' Carmel Ward and Zionsville changed from a ward to a branch. I just called her back to clarify.

Date: April 26, 2011 05:15PM

I think people travel some distance to that chapel though, so I'm not sure why they're building another one only three miles away. Dad remarked that the Church likes to build things in rich areas though. If they're using building gerrymandering to improve the image of the Church and hide the loss of members, it seems to be counterproductive as my father is privately quite disgruntled by it.

Date: April 27, 2011 10:55AM

That little piece of real estate is worth some big $$$. They then will just move those units to the newer building by the temple. That would make it a longer commute for the Zville folks though.

Gotta love the second guessing we do here, huh? lol...

Posted by: tony ( )
Date: April 26, 2011 01:24PM

I graduated from Perry Meridian, class of '83.

Posted by: Stupor O. Thought ( )
Date: April 27, 2011 01:09PM

I have lived here for about 20 years on the southside. I didn't grow up here though. I rarely check in on the exmo board, but had time to kill at lunch today and this post caught my eye. I still have several friends/acquaintances that are TBM, but I left more than 15 years ago and made it official about 7 years ago. I also didn't realize there were very many exmo's from Indiana.

Date: April 27, 2011 02:28PM

I am on the Northeast side but grew up in Anderson...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.