Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: isthisnameok? ( )
Date: April 26, 2011 01:59AM

I was picking my wife up at the local "ward" building on Saturday after an Easter activity and she was talking with the Bishop, I didn't think anything as I approached, but then I heard my wife say something that I thought was sure to make the Bishop see red, he says to her as we're leaving "ok we'll see you tomorrow" and my wife turns to him and says "oh, sorry you wont because we're going to be _______ (having fun at some place other than Church and obviously breaking the Sabbath), and to my amazement the guy says "oh, ok well have fun then." I was kind of taken back, firs at my wife's honesty with the man, and then the guys very nonchalant and un-concerned response. Perhaps its because we don't live in the corridor? The Bishop does seem laid back, he's never called and asked me why I don't show up to meetings or the yearly shake down for my 10% (tithing settlement), in fact that dude has only ever called to wish me a happy birthday. That's a laid back Bishop.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bingoe4 ( )
Date: April 26, 2011 03:30AM

Posted by: jackol ( )
Date: April 26, 2011 03:34AM

I have had some Bishops that were laid back like that, and even on my mission we had some like that. I remember in my training area on my mission the Bishop was a HUGE football fan, but fed the missionaries every Sunday. He insisted we watched football with him. So we spent most of Sunday afternoon watching football with the Bishop.

Posted by: nomilk ( )
Date: April 26, 2011 07:32AM

The Bishop in my ward is very easy going. HE seems to feel that trying to do good and help others is more important than what you wear, how you talk or if you turn your TV on on Sunday.

Of course some of the members miss their old bishop jsut becasue they can't think for themselves.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: April 26, 2011 08:10AM

We've seen shepherds, bosses, dumasses, laid back, tyrants, sincere and the manipulative. Some will break you down and some will build you up while others are too busy for your nonsense. Some will come to your house repeatedly to win back the lost sheep while others don't have time for nonparticipants.

In less than 20 years our ward had seven different Bishops and they were as varied as grabbing a handful of people off the street.

They aren't chosen on much more than their experience in other leadership callings and on their willingness to do anything they are commanded and their faithfulness and devotion to the church. And in a lot of cases they are chosen because there isn't much choice.

It sounds like you got lucky this time- the next one could be just the opposite.

Posted by: patrice ( )
Date: April 26, 2011 12:13PM

As a fairly recent convert at the time I went in for a temple recommend interview once and told the Bishop that I didn't believe in the Word of Wisdom and didn't think that I should hold a calling at all anymore. He told me that he didn't believe in it either, but that the LDS church was a great place to raise a family. He deemed me temple worthy and never spoke to me again about my concerns.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.