Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: star1bandit ( )
Date: April 26, 2011 06:41PM

https://familysearch.org/search/treeDetails/show?uri=http://tree.dev.familysearch.org:8080/www-af-webservice/person/7762167

Not only does it show all 24 of his wives...

But the site is provided by the morg. It says so at the bottem.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2011 06:41PM by star1bandit.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ex.mormons. org ( )
Date: April 26, 2011 06:47PM

Please send article.

Posted by: star1bandit ( )
Date: April 26, 2011 06:52PM

Where would you like me to send it? And how? Like the link, or copy and paste, or screen print?

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: April 26, 2011 07:04PM

Yep, that really upset my TBM husband. We looked Joe up on Family Search and I was able to show him the fourteen year old that he married (actually, I think there were two but showing him the first one was enough). I think that was the first thing that really got through to him that the church isn't really what it says it is. Family Search is great.

Posted by: tbirdguy ( )
Date: April 26, 2011 07:11PM

Shows the hypocrisy of "marriage is one man, one woman." They have no business butting into politics. But then, we all knew that anyway...

Posted by: dwindler ( )
Date: April 27, 2011 03:02AM

Had always thought there were 33 documented plural wives. They must have dropped the teen brides, or the ones who already had husbands to make it all look better.

Posted by: faboo ( )
Date: April 27, 2011 03:53AM

dwindler Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Had always thought there were 33 documented plural
> wives. They must have dropped the teen brides, or
> the ones who already had husbands to make it all
> look better.

His two youngest wives (Nancy Winchester and Helen Mar Kimball, both 14) are listed on the site, along with several women who already had husbands at the time they married Joseph Smith. I did notice Fanny Alger and several others aren't listed, though. Maybe people aren't able to submit the necessary materials needed to prove those marriages, which wouldn't be so surprising since a lot of these marriages were done in secret.

Still, there are several documented child brides and already-married women on here. It's pretty damning evidence, whether it's a complete list or not. Wonder what my TBM parents would think if I showed it to them...

Posted by: ipseego ( )
Date: April 27, 2011 03:55AM

No, they haven't dropped teen brides and polyandrous "wives". But the documentation isn't always too good, so the number given varies.

www.familysearch.org is a useful source for those interested in Mormon polygamy. There is no article, the link above goes straight to the source.

Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: April 27, 2011 08:34AM

Who can add/edit entries there?

Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: April 27, 2011 09:51AM

I believe it may be because people who submit their genealogical information are prideful of their connections to JS and expect it to be seen there.

Also, if family.search.org is going to have any credibility, (unlike TSSC itself), and usefulness, it has to remain transparent.

Surely the "authorities" are aware of how this information is being consulted by doubters and I can only imagine the scene as the PR people and the apologists put their worried heads together discuss how to lessen the impact.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.