Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Randy P. ( )
Date: April 28, 2011 06:43PM

I used to work with a guy in Utah that was involved with some of the remodeling of the SLC Temple. He was not mormon, so he was blown away with how the temple was inside. He did ask me about the gold toilet. I thought he was full of it as I had been in the SL Temple many times and never seen nor heard anything about it. He claimed it was in a small room on the 3rd floor of the temple, and he actually used it when he had to go and apparantly the temple staff there was not too happy about it.

You guys know anything about a gold toiley?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Just Browsing ( )
Date: April 28, 2011 06:57PM

First **ALL contractors working inside **TEMPLES must be reccommend hoders-Not so for chapels.. So Non-Members are not allowed to do work inside Temples..Unless new policies are in place...

JB

Posted by: Anon455 ( )
Date: April 28, 2011 07:13PM

I think you are wrong. Lots of non-endowed people go into the temples: fire fighters, EMT's, police officers and CONTRACTORS when the temple is closed for refurbishment. The SL temple was closed for almost a year several years ago for earthquake retrofitting. Lots of contractors were in there.

And if the toilet is gold and is on the third floor, well that's the floor where the apostles and first presidency have their weekly meetings (on Thursdays). They also have a special endowment session for only those few and their wives.

Why do you think that people no longer have to stand up for their promises? Because the big 15 (and their wives) are getting older, and it was hard for them to stand. So, the rest of us had to change....which always infuriated me.

Posted by: Enish-Go-On-Dosh ( )
Date: April 28, 2011 07:23PM

I've been on that floor and in the restrooms. No gold toilet. However, there is a room with a long dinner table, next door is a kitchenette, fridge and microwave for those Thursday post-quorum chowdowns, I suppose.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: April 28, 2011 07:38PM

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: April 28, 2011 07:41PM

Heresy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> n/t
Or maybe it for the exclusive use of the prophet. I wonder if he lets Jesus use it when he shows up

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: April 28, 2011 07:45PM

Remember when some guy went into the DC Temple back in the 80's and caused all kinds of havoc? Police were all over in there. There was a big stink about whether they would have to rededicate it but then they didn't.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: April 28, 2011 08:30PM

The temple presumably wouldn't have been dedicated at the time the plumbing was done.

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: April 28, 2011 08:50PM

Posted by: Cristina ( )
Date: April 28, 2011 11:51PM

There is no gold toilet or gold anything in the temple. The general authorities meet in the 4th floor, not 3rd. And there is a special small toilet in a room on that floor that is completely normal. In fact, because of the age of the general authorities, surprisingly, it also has a special elderly person seat adjustment.

There's alot of brass, but not gold in various places throughout the temple. (Brass railings for example.) There's gold leaf on the murals in the celestial room and around crownings in places but it's gold leaf painted on with a brush not solid gold. The most impressive to me is the marble floors around the baptistry and elevator corridors. But not any different than you'd see in a really nice office building.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: April 30, 2011 07:14AM

Don't any of the crystal light fixtures gold or gold plate?

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: April 28, 2011 11:58PM

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: April 30, 2011 02:35AM

I was doing an endowment session in the Salt Lake Temple and noticed the temple worker that made sure you didn't go where you weren't suppossed to go left. Nobody was in the hall so I went inot one of the spiral staircases in one of the towers and took a self guided tour. Half of the third floor is administration. I think these were suppossed to be offices originally. They are the meeting rooms for the general authorities. Then the whole 4th floor is a meeting hall. It's got some neat spiral staircases that go up to a balcony. I don't think most members even get to see it. I wonder if it's even used that much anymore. The old temples also functioned as offices and meeting houses. The endowment was a fringe activity. Somewhere along the line it became the main deal. Then the whole thing became a population control gimmick. In the old days they had meetings, held school, did administrative work, and even held dances in the temple. Now it's freakshow theater.

Posted by: jbstyle ( )
Date: April 30, 2011 07:39PM

The 4th floor is the Solemn Assembly Room. When I worked there (1995-2002), they used to do a special meeting for the temple workers, volunteers, and employees once a year on a Sunday with a general authority -- I want to say that it's always a member of the First Presidency, but I can't recall for sure). Each person gets to bring a guest, so they hold two separate sessions, which presumably also allows one to attend church either before or after the meeting at the temple.

I was up on the 3rd floor once during one of the summer shutdowns, but aside from some nice marquetry tables, nothing much impressed me. Don't recall a gold toilet, but I don't think that we looked in the actual washrooms up there, just the meetings rooms and changing rooms.

Date: April 30, 2011 06:01AM

"Non-worthy" gentiles have attended weddings without recommends and I would think that non-recommend holders have been in the temple in emergencies or to do repair work.

Ever heard the phrase "Rules are made to be broken?"

That goes double with mormons who are drowning in silly rules, too many for members to know about, let alone have ways of seeing that they're followed 100%.

Posted by: winnip ( )
Date: April 30, 2011 12:21PM

Out of curiosity = under what circumstances have non-worthy gentiles attended temple weddings without recommends?

Cheryl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "Non-worthy" gentiles have attended weddings
> without recommends and I would think that
> non-recommend holders have been in the temple in
> emergencies or to do repair work.
>
> Ever heard the phrase "Rules are made to be
> broken?"
>
> That goes double with mormons who are drowning in
> silly rules, too many for members to know about,
> let alone have ways of seeing that they're
> followed 100%.

Date: April 30, 2011 02:11PM

They had different ways of sneaking by the officials using faked or borrowed TRs. I'm not comfortable giving specifics.

Posted by: winnip ( )
Date: April 30, 2011 05:49PM

I am guessing this was before the TRs were bar-coded?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.