Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: April 30, 2011 01:55PM

Last night the wife of one of the bishopric came over to borrow my large bowl for a church function this evening. I have this huge bowl I bought at a restaurant supply store and since this woman is sort of a friend, I had no problem with her borrowing it.

Anyway, after she left I realized, right there on my kitchen counter, was a box of tea I'd had out to drink while I watched the royal wedding. Black tea - English Breakfast Tea to be specific. It would have been easy enough for her to spot standing in my kitchen but she is kind of an airhead and might have missed it. When I was pondering whether or not she saw it, I realized that, finally, I just don't care any more.

I don't care what Mormons think of me. I don't care if they see me at Starbucks or buying beer or drinking tea or loading up to spend Sunday afternoon at the beach. The Word of Wisdom is THEIR problem, as is keeping the Sabbath day holy. They haven't worked terribly hard to impress me with their Christian values. In fact, they done the exact opposite. I no longer want them to approve of me or worry that they think because I've left the church, I'm skipping down the path to hell. This is a big change from my previous behavior - I used to drive to the Starbucks out of my stake area near the mall. I used to order tea online. Stuff like that because I didn't want to be the subject of ward gossip or pity that I've gone off the deep end. Now that I have more non-LDS friends and realize that most of humanity and most of the good people in the world agree with me about Mormonism and it's irrelevancy in the big scheme of things...I can be comfortable with not caring about Mormon disapproval and it feels wonderful.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: April 30, 2011 02:02PM

It seems like one of the biggest concerns about leaving morgbotism is how we're judged by the believers.

I hope to get where you are before too much longer. :)

Posted by: intellectualfeminist ( )
Date: April 30, 2011 02:10PM

I love it!! Freedom is sweet! I drink green tea, red tea, black tea, a whole rainbow of teas; no problem whatsoever. My TBM kids are used to it and they are familiar with the health benefits of green tea; my daughter loves green tea mochi ice cream and sometimes drinks it herself. My significant other drinks coffee and I have a coffeemaker for him at my house now; the kids asked, I told them, they shrugged, end of subject. Welcome to normal :D

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: April 30, 2011 02:15PM

That's a huge recovery leap.

I can't remember when that happened to me. I only know that I'm with you on this. What mormons think is **their** problem not mine.

Posted by: Queen of Denial ( )
Date: April 30, 2011 02:16PM

This post gives me hope!

Posted by: Lost Mystic ( )
Date: April 30, 2011 03:39PM

Awesome! Neuroticism is diminishing! It is an enormous step when a person starts to say "this is me...if you have an issue with something because of your perceptions, that's your issue. Accept me for me, and if you don't it won't affect me."

I'm celebrating with you!

Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: April 30, 2011 06:05PM

Awesome! You give me hope!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2011 06:09PM by goldenrule.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: April 30, 2011 06:08PM

How many times have something like that happened where you never noticed the proverbial tea?

Had you not noticed the tea and made the connection, you would have gone on with your day without even realizing how little you cared...

You may be farther along than you think!

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: April 30, 2011 07:30PM

One time the mishies came over to my house for a "visit." I was at my desktop drinking some beer and it wasn't until they left that I realized it had been in plain view the whole time! Never heard a word about it from anyone in my ward so far, hee hee. :-)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.