Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Lost ( )
Date: May 01, 2011 10:55PM

This is to continue the thread:

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,182812

@regularguy

1) I'm not sure what the local ward stake thought. I never went back there and I didn't get the letter from my family until I had been in Basic Training for about 10 days.

2) It was curious behavior. As I said, my treatment for choosing the military was unusual, but not as much as you might think in the late 70s. There was a lot of distrust towards the military when I was growing up since this was right after the Vietnam Period. The mormon community I lived in felt that it was mission, mission, and mission. College was ok for the year you were waiting, but staying in college was a no-no. Going into the military was lower than low. It wasn't until Reagan came along that the military really improved, especially as it concerns morale and public opinion. I think now the church has a much better attitude toward military service and my service was seen in a much better light when I gave the church a second try after I left the military in '85. I served from '79-'85 after a six-year term.

3) I've seen that done and in a ward I served as Bishop it was exactly as you say: LDS Missionaries and Serviceman addresses were listed on the back of the ward bulletin. But, yes I personally believe my parents were whack. I think at the time they were very concerned about public church opinion and were seriously pissed I was setting a bad example for the rest of the family and embarassed them in the ward. They were more fixiated on that then on me. I was simply a number. Heck, my family had 9 kids. I do think the time period had a lot to do with it. My parents felt it was ok for someone else to serve in the military--just not their kids.

@ Helen.

Yeah, I do wonder what my parents think about Monson. They'd probably excuse it by saying he was drafted and had no choice.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rodolfo ( )
Date: May 02, 2011 01:30AM

Lost -- wow, the cruelty is stupefying. Fucking cult!

Please post your story on the permanent threads. Also, if you have the original letters from your family, these would be very helpful to many people as well to post if they can be anonymized.

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: May 02, 2011 03:25PM

OMFG! The treatment you got shows how fucked up TSCC is. I was appalled that you got so much shit for serving our country. My own DH is going overseas later this year for military duty and I am so grateful to him and you, and other people who sacrifice their very lives to give us the freedoms we take for granted.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2011 03:25PM by imalive.

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: May 02, 2011 04:14PM

Just to set the record straight, Monson served in the Navy for less than a year at the end of the war. He was still 18 when he returned and went right back to UofU for school. There's no debate as to whether he should've could've served a mission. No question, he could and should have.

Just sayin'...

Ron

Posted by: maria ( )
Date: May 02, 2011 04:29PM

I just read your original thread. I'm so sorry.

They don't deserve to have you in their family.

Posted by: nickerickson ( )
Date: May 02, 2011 05:02PM

I served in the military also, to much lamentation by my parents, especially my father. I did not go through as much hell as you, but my decision was bemoaned, and everyone thought I was on a path to hell (still do). Sucks you had to go through so much trouble, but in the end, like you said, you became your own man.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.