Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: emanon ( )
Date: May 02, 2011 03:50PM

There is an assembly at my child's school this week at which Gary Smith will be speaking. Does anyone know anything about this man?

"Hyrum Smith’s great-grandson, Mr. Gary Smith, will be talking to us about Hyrum and his experiences as the prophet’s brother. Mr. Smith has the original artifacts from that time period, including: the clothing worn by Hyrum when he was shot at Carthage, his pocket watches, spectacles and the box the golden plates were kept in as well as many other items."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: weeder ( )
Date: May 02, 2011 04:01PM

One of the prized items of the Hyrum collection of memorabilia (unless some uber-mormon has excised them from any internet reference) is Hyrum's grand collection of Occult items -- daggers w/symbols engraved, talismans of various design. Several examples of Hyrum's own handwriting and "magic" parchments etc. etc.

I think most of it got accumulated in Wood's Museum up in Bountiful (does that place still exist?). I had to make an appointment to see the collection myself (he also has all of the books owned by Joseph Smith at the time of his death -- interesting).

Joseph had his own "Jupiter Talisman" that he wore to his death, but Hyrum was even more into all things Occult than his brother was.

Posted by: kookoo4kokaubeam ( )
Date: May 02, 2011 04:16PM

BUt its Utah, right?

And the box the gold plates were found in?? Uh-huh.

Posted by: Skeptical ( )

If so, it certainly appears to be a violation of the separation between church and state.

Date: May 02, 2011 04:22PM

It is not a public school.
Yes, I'm in Utah.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2011 04:22PM by emanon.

Posted by: Rebecca ( )

at a fireside in the southern California area. The topic was generally the same. I saw no "daggers w/symbols engraved, talismans of various design", I did see the clothes and I think the watch one of the Smiths carried. This was many years ago and I don't remember everything about it.

Gary Smith wrote with Irene M Bates a book called "Lost Legacy: The Mormon Office of Presiding Patriarch" that talks about how the office of patriarch for the church lost power and influence in the church hierarchy. I think the book is worth reading. At the time I read parts of it, I was surprised by its frankness in describing the power struggle between the office of the patriarch and the quorum of the 12.

Posted by: rutabaga ( )
Date: May 02, 2011 04:30PM

I went to one in So CA also.
The take-away for almost everyone was his much younger trophy wife.
I didn''t really listen to his talk, but the artifacts were interesting.

Posted by: weeder ( )
Date: May 02, 2011 04:57PM

> "The take-away for almost everyone was
> his much younger trophy wife."

Everyone got to take her away?!?! ... interesting, kind of a new twist on Mormon polygamy. Though I have heard of that wife swapping business in Draper wards!!! LOL

Date: May 02, 2011 05:28PM

Thanks for the replies.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.