Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: matt ( )
Date: May 03, 2011 08:22AM

We have someone in the office on work experience who wants to be a sports journalist, so if you can help, that'd be great!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: brigantia ( )
Date: May 03, 2011 10:14AM

but quickly learned. That was way back in the heady days of NUJ Indentureship. Perhaps the NUJ has something to help him, maybe the local Chapter in your area?

If he can get onto the research/editorial ladder at a local or national tabloid then he could be mentored, as I was for 3 years.

One snag with that method though, he will need to learn about the ads aspect too but I'm sure you know that Matt.

Good luck to him and I hope he makes it. I love ambition!

Briggy

Date: May 03, 2011 10:21AM

Thanks, Briggy!

Local NUJ branch is a bit limp, sad to say. Plus the NUJ training courses are SO expensive, these days!!

These days it is all degrees before they'll look at you, which is a pity. Still, he's only 15, but very keen.

Date: May 03, 2011 11:38AM

We were NOTHING, ROOKIES, GREEN and hopelessly naive - that soon changed though :-)

A History degree is useful I believe still. I assume he's set for Uni or perhaps he can take it on Day release.

Briggy

Date: May 03, 2011 03:21PM

They all want Media Studies these days, Briggy.

Oddly enough my Humanities degree was of little help in my career in journalism! ;o))

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2011 03:22PM by matt.

Date: May 03, 2011 03:37PM

composing the story on the hoof and sitting in courts and police stations looking for fillers. They gave me all the rubbish jobs at the beginning.

Briggy

Date: May 03, 2011 03:52PM

brigantia Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> composing the story on the hoof and sitting in
> courts and police stations looking for fillers.
> They gave me all the rubbish jobs at the
> beginning.
>
> Briggy

That doesn't happen, much, any more. Now all we usually get are emailed press releases, which can be a bit dull, to be frank.

I like covering council meetings, there are often interesting stories in the committee minutes that other journalists don't spot.

For the evening paper I was a stringer for I had an 0800 number to call. If it was a good story (or a theatrical review) they'd pass me on to a copy taker.

I remember I was sending them a review of a classical concert and the copy taker said: "Baaactch did you say? 'e sounds like a furrener, if you asks me!"

My first big sale to a 'proper' paper was a story I sold to the Birmingham Post, based on something a young councillor blurted out at a council meeting, without thinking of the consequences.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2011 03:57PM by matt.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.