Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: May 03, 2011 09:41PM

The discussion led to him saying he wasn't racist, said he didn't understand the "drop in a bucket" definition of race, etc. I took the opportunity to acquaint him with the online Journal of Discourses Vol. 7 p 290-291 and what Brigham Young said about the "negro race". Here's his reply:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Wow, I didn't know the journal of discourses was available online. Interesting, I found that statement by Brigham Young rather prophetic. It sounds callous, judging him by our modern context and racial standards, but that may very well have been the perception of many people back then... as erroneous as it was. This exact issue is what sets the LDS faith apart from other churches... the fact that God continues to guide the church through revelation, teaching that He offers salvation to all on His timetable which we don't often understand. I often wonder what would have happened to the church if the priesthood had been offered to all from the beginning.

Anyway, here is an interesting quote showing why I like how God runs the church, "Forget everything that I have said, or what President Brigham Young or President George Q. Cannon or whomsoever has said in days past that is contrary to the present revelation. We spoke with a limited understanding and without the light and knowledge that now has come into the world." - Bruce R. McConkie

>>>>>>>>>>>>

So then I asked him how he could tell when the prophet was speaking as a man and when he was speaking as a prophet. And what about those who acted upon the prophet's words thinking they were from the prophet when they were in fact merely from a man - such as occurred with the MMM.

Haven't heard back yet. I'm trying my best to keep the conversation congenial so that he will be tempted to look up the info I present.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: May 03, 2011 09:53PM

A prophet is God’s mouthpiece and messenger to make known his divine will. Therefore a prophet’s word is God’s word--it is scripture. We can trust the words of prophets as the word of God: “…whether by my own voice or by the voice of my servants, it is the same.” D&C 1:38

Posted by: What is Wanted ( )
Date: May 03, 2011 10:07PM

is something Mormons will claim when his racist views are exposed. I always respond "So was Abraham Lincoln".

That shuts them up quickly.

Also you can point out if blacks had the curse of cain then why did Moses marry a black woman?

Most of them have no answer

Posted by: helemon ( )
Date: May 03, 2011 10:22PM

Is there any doctrine that he thinks could not change?

Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: May 04, 2011 10:37AM

>>>>>>>>I don't think God just changes his mind. I thinks he has a plan. He commanded us not to kill, but commands Nephi to slay Laban in the Book of Mormon. Are we to take that as him changing his mind in this instance? I think not. It was part of a larger plan to preserve the language of a people which ultimately led to the coming forth of the Book of Mormon. That is a pretty thought out plan. Very deliberate. His prophets communicate his plan and when additional parts are revealed they communicate those too. I would also note that these people, God's prophets, are people. They aren't perfect, but when they speak as prophets, the church knows.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I changed the subject to the weather, chosing not to carry this further. . . .

Posted by: apatheist ( )
Date: May 04, 2011 12:40PM

"The church is the same yesterday, today, and forever.. except when it's not."

-Sister Dottie S. Dixon

Posted by: The StalkerDog™ ( )
Date: May 04, 2011 10:46AM

He's sayin God is subject to man's whims, ideation, and timing? People were racist back then so God just like followed along? What's wrong with this picture.

Why couldn't he of given ol Briggsy a thump on the head or sumthin and told him what was what.

Posted by: maria ( )
Date: May 04, 2011 12:41PM

Goddamn, mormons are dumb.

No offense.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.