Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Flyer ( )
Date: September 19, 2010 09:33PM

FYI - Susan, this is a story that is about a famous Mormon, who happens to be a politician. But the point of this is about Public Relations, something the Mormon hierarchy, and American business, for that matter, are masters of.

THIS is FUNNYand VERY telling! It just all depends on how you look at some things.....

Judy Wallman, a professional genealogy researcher in southern California, was doing some personal work on her own family tree. She discovered that Congressman Harry Reid's great-great uncle, Remus Reid, was hanged for horse stealing and train robbery in Montana in 1889. Both Judy and Harry Reid share this common ancestor.

The only known photograph of Remus shows him standing on the gallows in Montana territory. It's here:

cid:1.3535506613@web83202.mail.mud.yahoo.com

On the back of the picture Judy obtained during her research is this inscription: 'Remus Reid, horse thief, sent to Montana Territorial Prison 1885, escaped 1887, robbed the Montana Flyer six times. Caught by Pinkerton detectives, convicted and hanged in 1889.'

So Judy recently e-mailed Congressman Harry Reid for information about their great-great uncle. Harry Reid's staff sent back the following biographical sketch for her genealogy research:

"Remus Reid was a famous cowboy in the Montana Territory . His business empire grew to include acquisition of valuable equestrian assets and intimate dealings with the Montana railroad. Beginning in 1883, he devoted several years of his life to government service, finally taking leave to resume his dealings with the railroad. In 1887, he was a key player in a vital investigation run by the renowned Pinkerton Detective Agency. In 1889, Remus passed away during an important civic function held in his honor when the platform upon which he was standing collapsed."

NOW THAT's how it's done, Folks! That's real SPIN.

I find it interesting that Harry has something in common with the founder of his church, namely, someone who was wanted and hunted by the law.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: September 19, 2010 09:39PM

If you look further into this story, you'll find that Bro. Reid is not the only celebrity whose ancestor has had this tale told about them.

Posted by: Flyer ( )
Date: September 19, 2010 11:09PM

Well, one thing is that when people send me email stories, I do kind of wonder where they are getting all their source info.

It's kind of like the story that gets whispered from ear to ear and changes from person to person.

Guess I should not be surprised!

Thks :)

Posted by: get her done ( )
Date: September 22, 2010 01:44PM

That is so and funny. Mormon spin was in art way back then and is now almost a perfect art.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: September 22, 2010 02:11PM

In scarecrowfromoz's thread...

I would almost bet the price of a cab ride to Nevada that some of Sharon Angle's followers concocted this one...

SLC
Who once corrected no less than Tucker Carslson for a claim about a quote...
He said was from Churchill; I knew it was Mark Twain...

Posted by: Skunk Puppet ( )
Date: September 22, 2010 02:18PM

it's still pretty funny and creative. I got a giggle out of it.

It just goes to show that there are no new jokes in the world. Just re-purposed ones.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: September 22, 2010 02:31PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.