Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: freeasabird ( )
Date: May 05, 2011 03:16PM

I have a TBM friend on FB that has a blog so I went to her cute little Easter pics. First she goes off how the whole week was all encompassed with Christ centered activities...okay good for her whatever. Then goes off how they usually have the Easter bunny come on Saturday blah blah blah.

Then she shows the kids cute little Easter outfits, and they looked adorable.

Then she says how they do their egg hunt after church. They decided to go with more "healthy snacks" to find on the hunt since they got sugar in their baskets. Things like Chocolate pudding, Sunny D (isn't that sugar packed?), cookies (but they weren't just any cookies, they were Milano!?), and fruit snacks. I know it's easter, but if you're going to CLAIM to have healthy snacks...even bunnies eat carrots lol!

Then she showed wonderful pics of their dinner and all the cute little place settings she made, and said they had a spiritual program after.

While I think this is great :) Sometimes it's fun to go all out. But why is it that mormon women think they have to be the best at everything and show it off? You should see her other blogs.

Plus some of the other women I'm friends with on FB..."today I cleaned this and this, and OMGosh I did the cutest sharing time." Great! God knows you did wonderful things Sister Brags no need to tell the world how great you are!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: onlyme ( )
Date: May 05, 2011 03:37PM

My impression, it's the mormon women's version of keeping up with the Joneses and making sure you appear to be living your life at a certain expected level.

Posted by: CombatBarbie ( )
Date: May 05, 2011 03:53PM

and that word is "mommyjacking." Check out STFU Parents FB page for a classic example of mommyjacking and mommyjackers. Sadly, this behavior is more the norm than the exception and not limited to sicko, sahm MoMoms. Check it out and have a great laugh! Some of these losers jacked the whole Obama thing. :)

Posted by: zarahemwhat ( )
Date: May 05, 2011 08:43PM

STFU Parents is absolutely hilarious!! I just have to remember not to visit the site while eating.. *shudder*

Posted by: lissie ( )
Date: May 05, 2011 06:18PM

Those women experience intense pressure EVERY DAY OF THEIR LIVES. Read the Double Bind in Mormonism.

They are never going to be good enough, but what you notice is them trying.

This is also why antidepressants are prescribed so much among Mormon women in Utah.

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: May 05, 2011 06:21PM

These people learned how to brag in church.

The leaders brag up each other in meetings and at general conference praising the smallest incidences and making mountains of faith promoting events from such minutiae.

The leaders that they so adore set the example! With hundreds of hours of instruction in the art of self praise by praising the works of each other how could they not behave like this? It’s like the choir slap backing each other for no other reason than to bask in the pumping up of each other simply for the sake of doing so.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2011 06:22PM by AmIDarkNow?.

Posted by: outsidetheflock ( )
Date: May 05, 2011 06:27PM

Validation....validation....validation

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: May 05, 2011 06:32PM

I agree with you, outsidetheflock. When I was a young mother, I felt like there was very little feedback for what I was doing. It was a job that required me to do most of the giving with not a lot of immediate reward and I craved any kind of validation or positive feedback.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: May 06, 2011 02:17AM

living in Utah years ago as a newly married and young mother, was that if you weren't bragging, people didn't notice you or give you credit for your achievements. I was always taught growing up in California that bragging was vulgar and the more someone bragged the lower class they were. Only the insecure bragged - successful people blew off their success as in: "Oh, this Mercedes? It's not that great - the mileage is terrible." The more they played down their success, the more secure they were in it and you could assume, that meant they were even greater than you thought they were.

Try that in Utah - or any predominately Mormon community. They think if you aren't bragging, you have nothing to brag about and if you play down your achievements, they join in putting you down. Not realizing that you were just being humble or backhandedly bragging. It's crazy making. I just couldn't brag and be vulgar like that when I lived in Salt Lake City so I know I was looked down upon because I didn't have every little accomplishment on parade. They don't get understated class AT ALL.

Posted by: freeasabird ( )
Date: May 06, 2011 09:28PM

wow CA girl interesting take! I do think you're right.

When I was younger my mother used to brag about what her kids were up to in school and activities, she always made it seem so much bigger than it was. I remember telling her well I did do this but I didn't do that and she'd look at me like I was being rude.

While I know parents tend to brag a little sometimes about their kids, I have to wonder if her extra stuff she'd add in was maybe because we weren't doing as much as she thought we should? Hmmm...well all of us siblings say to each other we'll never be good enough for mom no matter what we do. This just validates that thought!

Posted by: Becca ( )
Date: May 06, 2011 10:04AM

Yep... bragging... validation...

That's also what I meant to say in my post about bein mo-ish....

When I 'had to' be a stay at home mom in the morg, do all the 'cute' stuff.. crafts and such... bake and cook and be beautiful and all that jazz...
I was miserable. Because all I wanted and needed was validation that I did a good job. And I never got that because there was always someone better than me.

Now... I CHOOSE to be a stay at home mom, grow my own veg and do lots of crafts and hobby stuff... and I am totally happy. Because I choose this lifestyle and I really don't care if people find me admirable or not. In fact, I know that a lot of people think I'm a complete nutcase.
Big deal.
They can think what they like. It's my life and I'll do as I please thanks very much.

But yes, the bragging is a need for validation. the need to feel good.. the need to feel good enough.

Pretty sad really.

Posted by: dowahdiddy ( )
Date: May 06, 2011 10:18PM

I seriously think you maaaay have been reading my SILs blog, hehe.

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: May 09, 2011 11:41AM

I can't get past the blog writer's ridiculous idea of what "healthy snacks" means.

I do not think those words mean what she thinks they mean. LOL

Posted by: artvandalay ( )
Date: May 09, 2011 01:17PM

You should check out http://seriouslysoblessed.blogspot.com/

That pretty much sums up those types of blogs in a satirical sort of way. Pretty funny.

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: May 09, 2011 01:30PM

but it just keeps getting funnier all the time. :)

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: May 09, 2011 01:22PM

When I decided to "go healthy" with the eggs I packed them with trail mix, nuts, and small toys instead of sugar. Some people just don't understand basic nutrition.

(Yes, I know trail mix has sugar and salt and that nuts are fatty but they're still higher on the health meter than chocolate bunnies.)

;)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.