Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Lost Mystic ( )
Date: May 06, 2011 01:17PM

It's great to watch non-mormons interact with mormons. It can be very cute and funny.

Here is one experience that made me almost pee myself laughing.

I worked at a hospital as a social worker a while back, and had the greatest co-workers you could hope for. They provided great service, and really really cared about the patients.

These co-workers knew I was mormon, but they knew I wasn't a regular mormon. I smoked, had tattoos, and was pretty inappropriate at times. They loved me!

Anyway, I had made friends with some missionaries that were love bombing me, trying to get me more active. The two guys were actually really fun to be around, so we became pretty close.

One of them almost died. He was having abdominal pains for a couple of weeks, and could barely keep food down. He kept asking the mission prez if he could go to the doctor, and was repeatedly told "no"...and to shake it off. Well, eventually his appendix ruptured and he couldn't even walk from the pain. He was admitted to the hospital the next day, after begging the mission prez to let him go to the ER. After 24 hours and 4 phone calls, the mission prez let him go.

He was septic and required emergency surgery. He was in the hospital for a few weeks. I hung out with him any chance I got. I miss that kid.

Anyway, the nurses knew that he was mormon, and it spawned a few conversations. But what I overhead when the missionary paged the nurses station was priceless...

*intercom beeps*

Nurse: Can I help you?

Elder: Hi. I was wondering when my nurses* are going to come change my bandage.

*(NOTICE THE PLURAL)

Nurse: I'll be right there sweetheart. Oh, just so you know. I know you mormons can have more than one wife, but you only get one nurse. But I'll do my best to keep you happy sweetie."

hehe...

The Elder thought it was hilarious too, but tried not to laugh because it was painful on his incision. They treated him really well, and kind of had a big gathering to say goodbye when he was cleared for discharge.

Can y'all share similar conversations you noticed between non-mormons and mormons that stuck in your memory?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: PinkPoodle ( )
Date: May 06, 2011 01:42PM

Funny story. I'm glad the missionary found it humorous, too, instead of being offended! LOL

Posted by: AlmostFell ( )
Date: May 06, 2011 02:36PM

As most of you know, one of the missionary discussions is on the law of chastity. Now, imagine the setting for this--me (female, almost 40), my TBM friend (male, mid-20s), and the missionaries (male, probably early 20s, if that). I can't remember what I said at one point, but my friend had his face hidden in his quad, although I could tell he was smirking. The best part, though, was when one of the mishies handed me the pamphlet on the law of chastity. It was the only one he had with him and it was a little bit water-stained. As he gave it to me, he said, "Here's the chastity pamphlet. I'm sorry it's a little dirty." I absolutely lost it and it took him several seconds to figure out what was so funny.

Date: May 06, 2011 02:54PM

LOL

Posted by: deb ( )
Date: May 07, 2011 01:39AM

that's hilarious

Posted by: deb ( )
Date: May 07, 2011 01:44AM

not much to tell, but once it was asked what my brother's name was "he is a Jr." named after my/our father. when asked next "what is your father's name." the other guy said the name, Sr.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: May 07, 2011 10:51AM

AlmostFell Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As most of you know, one of the missionary
> discussions is on the law of chastity. Now,
> imagine the setting for this--me (female, almost
> 40), my TBM friend (male, mid-20s), and the
> missionaries (male, probably early 20s, if that).
> I can't remember what I said at one point, but my
> friend had his face hidden in his quad, although I
> could tell he was smirking. The best part,
> though, was when one of the mishies handed me the
> pamphlet on the law of chastity. It was the only
> one he had with him and it was a little bit
> water-stained. As he gave it to me, he said,
> "Here's the chastity pamphlet. I'm sorry it's a
> little dirty." I absolutely lost it and it took
> him several seconds to figure out what was so
> funny.

"water" stained, huh? Yeah, sure! ;o

Posted by: Becca ( )
Date: May 06, 2011 03:14PM

When we (my single mom, my sis aged 13 and I aged 10) were investagating the church we had a set of lovely mishies who totally love bombed us.

They really enjoyed hanging out at our place as well and they came over for dinners frequently. We had walks and frisbee-football games on the beach that we lived closed to, and all sorts.

Well it was winter and there one day there was a lot of snow when the boys came over to our house. We all went outside to have a snowball fight.
And according to true Dutch tradition, the three of us ambushed one of the mishies with hands full of snow.. trying to stuff snow into every nook and cranny. Down the neck of his shirt, and all. Well my mom tried to stuff a handfull of snow down his pants.. (on his back) and to try and get to his bare skin she tried to pull up his shirt. And his vest. (Is that what you call it?) We held this kid down with the three of us so he couldn't get away...

Now remember, this was in 1978... in the days of the one piece garments.... of which we ofcourse did not have a clue yet..
So here's my mom pulling this thing up, trying to bare this poor boy's back... and he's shouting and squeeling ...(ofcourse!) and she's pulling some more, wondering how come this piece of clothing would not come up out of his pants... Eventually he managed to tell her it was stuck... that it was long one-piece underwear because of the cold....

It wasn't until years later when my mother had gone through the temple herself that she realised what we had done to this poor boy!..

(I can't help giggling about it still).. the poor boy must have been in agony!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2011 03:16PM by becca.

Date: May 06, 2011 03:56PM

HAHA!!!!

Posted by: maria ( )
Date: May 06, 2011 04:55PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: May 06, 2011 06:47PM

Posted by: Tauna ( )
Date: May 06, 2011 03:20PM

My husband's former boss used to call me my husband's first wife....I thought it was funny!

Posted by: chulotc is snarky ( )
Date: May 06, 2011 04:55PM

this may be the number one thing I take away from this site.

"oh so you're the first wife! nice to meet you!"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2011 04:55PM by chulotc.

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: May 06, 2011 04:52PM

For a meeting at work, “Barbara” (a BIC Mormon) had been assigned the task of encouraging teamwork. She came to the meeting prepared. She had written names of those expected at the meeting on popsicle sticks.

Barbara broke a popsicle stick, then another, and then another, to show how easy it was to do. Then she picked up the remaining stack and showed that together, the sticks in the stack could not be broken.

I could not believe my eyes. A child-level OBJECT LESSON for a group of adults!!! <groan> I'm sure that Barbara had no idea how it came across to her (almost exclusively Nevermo) colleagues!

Date: May 07, 2011 12:44AM

LOL! That's embarrassing!!!

Posted by: WickedTwin ( )
Date: May 07, 2011 02:48AM

At least she was tasked with giving a talk and not the refreshments. Most likely would have been animal crackers from the dollar store and Dixie cups of tepid water.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: May 07, 2011 10:53AM

WiserWomanNow Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> For a meeting at work, “Barbara” (a BIC
> Mormon) had been assigned the task of encouraging
> teamwork. She came to the meeting prepared. She
> had written names of those expected at the meeting
> on popsicle sticks.
>
> Barbara broke a popsicle stick, then another, and
> then another, to show how easy it was to do. Then
> she picked up the remaining stack and showed that
> together, the sticks in the stack could not be
> broken.
>
> I could not believe my eyes. A child-level OBJECT
> LESSON for a group of adults!!! I'm sure that
> Barbara had no idea how it came across to her
> (almost exclusively Nevermo) colleagues!

I have heard of nevermos using that example.

Posted by: runtu ( )
Date: May 06, 2011 04:56PM

I used to work with a guy whose name was "Helaman."

One morning we had some customers in from Indiana for training, and the introductions went around. When the guy said his name was Helaman, one of the customers asked, "Helaman? What is that, Swedish?"

Posted by: maria ( )
Date: May 06, 2011 04:57PM

Posted by: brefots ( )
Date: May 06, 2011 06:28PM

Alma is a swedish name though (unpopular and for ladies).

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: May 06, 2011 11:33PM

Cute story. Hope there are more people can share.

Posted by: Ctus ( )
Date: May 07, 2011 01:33AM

He was on his mission in Scotland when he found himself on the doorstep of a very unattractive middle aged woman, She found out they were the mormons and asked him how many wives he had, Not missing a beat, he replied, "I have three and I plan to make you my fourth!"

Posted by: Misfit ( )
Date: May 07, 2011 10:48AM

One of my companions had a former companion who made no bones about the fact that he did not want to be there. A typical response in Germany as they shut the door on the missionaries is "We're not buying anything!" SLAM! One time, this unmotivated elder responded with "We're not selling anything! We just want 10% of your income!"

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.