Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: amos2 ( )
Date: May 09, 2011 07:16AM

My TBM DW tolerates my secularism, for the most part. One little habit we settled into was letting the kids watch science, history, and such secularly educational shows on Sunday. The kids have long drifted away from our shelf of Book of Mormon and Bible cartoons, after watching them all a dozen times back when I was TBM and only allowed directly religious shows.
I think DW is counting on our kids not catching the paradoxes between science and religion. At church they pay lip service to science without actually adressing any paradoxes, so the church isn't overtly hostile to science and pretends to embrace it. But that requires compartmentalization in order to reconcile the "cog dis" of having contradictory beliefs. I think adults are used to living in more than one reality...but kids?
My 10 year old daughter, as we're watching a show on the extinction of the dinosaurs and how mammals got their break, says "this is confusing, when did Jesus come into all this?"
I didn't answer because DW would've been very upset if I'd told them about Jesus like I've already told them about Santa Claus.
I just wonder what bull shit answer she WILL get from a well-meaning cog-disser who tries to explain it. Or, when will I get a chance to spill the beans and tell her Jesus is a myth.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: May 09, 2011 09:39AM

Surely your DW shouldn't have a problem with you telling your kids what you believe. She might be peeved deep down, but she would recognize the fairness of it.

I say this because I too am wondering when I will spill the beans, though it may be a while as my oldest is 2.

BTW, what are your favorite science shows? I really like The Universe, but it'll probably be over the heads of my kids for many years.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2011 09:41AM by kimball.

Posted by: dane ( )
Date: May 09, 2011 10:23AM

I can't see that your DW's intellect is up and operating. Maybe a little nudge from her children will help kick start it. Of Course, you need to consider ceasing to run interference and hiding (or not devulging) information.

Sex questions are coming soon. What are you going to do? ;-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2011 10:24AM by dane.

Posted by: geneticerror ( )
Date: May 09, 2011 12:00PM

The flat earth society

http://theflatearthsociety.org/cms/

I can't tell if these people are for real or if this is just a prime example of Poe's law.

Posted by: charles, buddhist punk ( )
Date: May 09, 2011 12:52PM

It occurred to me to ask the same question from my TBM father when I was young. My question was, who came first cave men or Adam? His answer was Adam came first, then his spawn "dwindled in unbelief" and became the cavemen. However, he did not explain why cavemen seemed to be thousands of years older than Adam and his 6000-year old earth history. I feel cheated.

Posted by: amos2 ( )
Date: May 09, 2011 01:32PM

That's offensive and demeaning to cavemen.

Posted by: Adult of god ( )
Date: May 09, 2011 03:21PM

The capacity of the mind to make meaning out of a set of rules and whatever evidence is at hand is stupifyingly comical!

Posted by: chulotc is snarky ( )
Date: May 09, 2011 06:31PM

How else could jesus see "all the kingdoms of the earth" from the top of a mountain?

Der!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.