Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: eddie ( )
Date: May 09, 2011 08:44AM

Several women TBM friends have had particularly negative experiences with misogynistic behavior from male TBMs. As is often the case when people are mistreated these women have reacted against men in general rather than just the problematic men. It is often very difficult for people who have been mistreated to avoid generalizing their reactions. This is likely a very useful defense mechanism from an evolutionary perspective. The best countermeasure to avoid these negative reactions is to address the initial offenses in these cases the misogyny.

These negative experiences and reactions tend to ripple through a person's numerous relationships. This misandry is just another of the many divisive, us-vs-them, problems. Rather than every person being valued as an individual people are labeled, pigeon-holed, and catalogued. It would be nice to live in a culture that was truly gender, color, sexual-orientation, etc neutral.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: May 09, 2011 09:08AM

It disturbs me when I hear women blame all of their problems on anyone with a penis as much as it bothers me when men blame women for everything wrong. It's ridiculous and a very childish to place the blame for all your problems on a specific set of people.

I cringe whenever I hear a friend say, "How typical of a man/woman to do such a thing!" And then they wonder why they always get involved in crappy relationships.

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: May 09, 2011 02:28PM

(And I was never a Mormon.)

I think if you have enough negative experiences linked to one sex, race, etc. it's really hard not to start generalizing that ALL members of whatever group that is are terrible people. Fortunately for me, I have a son and four grandsons who give me good incentive NOT to indulge in misandry. On the other hand, I'd never serve on a jury involving spousal abuse because I know perfectly well that I have a strong inclination to believe a man did it -- and that would be a bias strong enough in my mind to preclude my participation in the trial.

Posted by: blindmag ( )
Date: May 09, 2011 03:09PM

Part of most of that bias was made by pidgenholeing in the first place.

OK Apparently according to a mexican friend the Latin american population is very smart and somewhere down the line one or some of thair ansestors found the value and reaosn for 0 and -1 and that intire branch of maths. This according to him is because of incredable abilities to multitask. Now who else do we know that can multitask that well its women apparentely a sciantific fact. Women have a higher densaty of certain cells in the center of the brain at the point where the two hemeshpherse are linked. Thats supposed to help with multitasking. So why wernt women doing advanced mathermatics and finding this fact out much sooner for us? Apparently supporting thair husbands instead of doing anything themselves.

Every time that someone tells a little girl that they have to be a mother when they grow up andonly mothers really look after the kids you take away a potential mathmatition that could solve incredable mathmatical problems. That being said every time someone says to a litlte boy that they have to go into the workforce and that it isnt thair job to look after the kids your getting rid of a potential incredable child carers.

Heres another example lots of men think women are bitchy well that c0mes from haveing to compete for a man that women for a very long time have been told they need to survive. that competition may put love out of the equation. Apparenace obsessed women are like that as well my mother told me once 'Women dont wear makeup to get a man they wear it to show they are better looking than other women'.

You start pigenholeing anyones basic talents because of whats in thair pants and talents fall by the wayside and get wasted.

Posted by: brigantia ( )
Date: May 09, 2011 03:33PM

I only ever saw mormon men from the chapel 'on their best behaviour' perspective. My own hubby was not mormon and he was such a good man that I became too trusting, only to have my eyes opened. I have no problem respecting members of the opposite sex as my own experiences have been positive ones. I may have a different view had I been married to a man who had been taught from childhood that he was superior being.

I can understand very well why mormon women keep up their guard where men are concerned.

I suspect that the best ones leave the church anyway.

Briggy

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.