Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: May 09, 2011 09:56AM

The poor bride looks completely freaked out coming out of the temple doors. This is an old college roommate who married and stayed in the Provo area. Her oldest daughter was raised in Happy Valley and is very into the whole Mormon lifestyle. She's barely 20 and her marriage last month was her first time through the temple. In the dozen or so pictures of her coming out of the temple, she looks a little stunned and shocked. I wonder what she's really thinking. Too bad I don't really know her - they've always lived so far away. I'd love to ask.

Maybe if she just understood every temple wedding was a royal wedding ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2011 09:57AM by CA girl.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Anon455 ( )
Date: May 09, 2011 10:08AM

It's possible she wasn't so much freaked out as exhausted by it all. Perhaps she really isn't so much a TBM as a young woman who "just wanted to get married for heck sake's"! And she did what she had to do in order to be married.

I think my look upon exiting my temple marriage was rather a look of "oh no, what have I done?!?" I married the wrong man (of my two fiances)....just because HE could take me to the temple and I realized immediately that I have picked the wrong guy!

Posted by: kiwimum ( )
Date: May 09, 2011 07:21PM

Anon455 said:

"I think my look upon exiting my temple marriage was rather a look of "oh no, what have I done?!?" I married the wrong man (of my two fiances)....just because HE could take me to the temple and I realized immediately that I have picked the wrong guy!"

Sounds like a similar situation to mine. I could've gotten married in the Temple to a guy that I didn't really love, but I realised just in time that I couldn't live with myself if I'd gone through with it. SO glad I waited too, because I met my now-hubby a year later and even though he couldn't take me through the Temple at the time (we went a year later), I knew it was the right decision for me. We had a beautiful garden wedding and it was the best day of my life. Had I gone through with the Temple wedding to the guy I didn't love, I think I would've run away or something drastic.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 09, 2011 10:11AM

I saw the look of shock on my sister's face after she did the endowment and marriage in 1 day at the SL temple and I decided right then and there I would not do both on the same day--and I also wouldn't do a live session.

It is of note that when my dad figured out that I wasn't going back--he told me how shocked he was when he got married in the SL temple. He didn't go back to the temple until the above sister got married some 25 years later.

But most of us keep these feelings to ourselves. My dad had been married about 55 years when he told me that.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: May 09, 2011 07:11PM

My parents met in Tokyo during the Korean War and since there was no temple close, they were allowed to have a beautiful church wedding. Then they were sealed when they got back to the states about 8 months later. But her wedding pictures were pretty, she has pics of the actual wedding with her attendants, standing in front of the mission president who married them. She even had a dress that had sheer sleeves with a strapless bodice underneath. By the time she had to go through the temple circus and be sealed, it was just a formality and did not ruin her wedding day.

For years after my wedding, I'd see her pics and wish I could have lived where I could have had a nice wedding before I had to go to the temple. What a horrible thing to do to young girls to get them all built up about this beautiful glorious temple wedding and then subject them to the farce that it really is. We were all shell shocked.

Posted by: badseed ( )
Date: May 09, 2011 07:52PM

So she got her endowments and seailng all in huge load??? That's a lot to a take in in one day.

Crazy thing is that now it's not even as bad as it used to be (pre-1990 and 2005) with the naked under shield initiatory the death oaths and the snuggling (five points of fellowship) with some old geezer at the veil.

With all those family and guests though it's awful hard to call "Cult!!" on the whole thing. Too much pressure for most kids.

Posted by: anonymous1234567 ( )
Date: May 09, 2011 11:39PM

I hurt for those people. A young girl that grew up expecting to have a literal castle wedding, with the man of her dreams after going through endowments and probably having such high hopes and expectations of it, then finding out it isn't all they expected. Getting your endowments, getting married, and then having your faith totally shaken in one day is a lot to take in. You were just 'sealed for eternity' to someone that you possibly aren't even in love with, and you just went through hours of things you never expected to happen because nobody told it to you. It's upsetting to me. I left the religion before I was married, but even before then I had already planned to just have a civil wedding where my entire family/friends could go and then get sealed a year later if the man was LDS. There's no way I would leave out my entire family and all of my friends on my wedding day to go through the temple and be absolutely shocked. I would have regretted it for the rest of my life.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.