Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Utah Apostate ( )
Date: May 09, 2011 12:12PM

I have a question about funerals and temple clothes.
My teen children and I are inactive in the church--
we've no interest in going back. My TBM husband's health is in a precarious state --I won't go into detail--He could stablize and live another decade or two; or he could die tomorrow. Here's my question--he wants to be buried in his temple clothes, which I'm fine with, as these are his wishes.

My question: would he wear the temple clothes for the viewing? Or would they dress him in them after the viewing? We live in Utah and have no family out here--but all our close freinds are LDS. I worry about my kids being freaked out if they see their father in temple clothes. (They have never seen temple clothing as my husband and I haven't been back to the temple since our first year of marriage.) I've seen other young people, who have not been through the temple, be greatly disturbed when they see the dead laid out in these strange clothes.

What is the protocal here? Is there any way I can make this less traumatic for my kids? Thank you for any insight you can provide.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Sandie ( )
Date: May 09, 2011 12:21PM

Or what you can do is just place your husband's packet of clothing at his feet within the coffin. According to my recent stake president, this is just fine and is a suitable compromise. A person does not need to be dressed in their temple clothing within the coffin according to the stake president.

I guess some angel in the afterlife will help dress a deceased whose packet of the robes of the holy priesthood are placed within the coffin. Not sure how that works.

But, no, if you think that your children would have some disquieting moments seeing their father clothed in temple clothing in his coffin, by all means opt out of it.

I hope your husband heals up very quickly from his medical problem.

Hugs!
Sandie

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: May 09, 2011 12:38PM

The first time I ever saw temple clothing was on my dead grandma at the viewing.

Posted by: themosthappy ( )
Date: May 09, 2011 01:11PM

My mother was in her temple clothes at her viewing (as was my grandmother the year before). I was only 10 and caught a glimpse of the green apron and asked about it, and was told it was sacred and couldn't be talked about.

Posted by: Utah Apostate ( )
Date: May 09, 2011 01:23PM

YOu can be sure this apostate wife will clearly explain to her teens what all of it means--it should reinforce what they already have concluded--that the Mormon religion is full of nonsense.

Posted by: Rob ( )
Date: May 09, 2011 01:28PM

What I've seen done on a few occasions is that the corpse is dressed in the temple clothes, but the hat, apron, sash etc are kept in the lower half of the casket with the split lid closed.

After the viewing is over, someone will go up and pull up the sash, and put their hat on and then close the casket.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.