Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: piper ( )
Date: May 09, 2011 09:03PM

Mr. Piper and I have been reading "The Five Love Languages" by Gary Chapman. By way of disclaimer, it is Christian-friendly and references the bible a couple of times, talking about love. That said, I did not find it preachy or nauseating.

This book was recommended to me by a dear friend. Normally I don't read self-help type books, but what she told me about it intrigued me. I would read a chapter or two, then let Mr. Piper read to catch up. We have never done this before, but it was great to discuss things as we had them fresh in our mind.

The premise of the book is that people speak different love languages, meaning there are different things that make people feel loved. Mr Piper may feel loved when I use words of affirmation, I feel loved when he performs acts of service, for example. We have both really enjoyed this book and feel like it turned on a light bulb for both of us, giving us specific ways that we can make the other feel loved.

It only took an afternoon to do this, but after reading it we both feel like we understand how to love the other a little better. It was a great way to spend some time together.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: tawanda2011 ( )
Date: May 09, 2011 09:55PM

Thank you Piper. Always nice to find news ways to communicate even after nearly 40 years of marriage.

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.