Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: puck ( )
Date: September 19, 2010 11:59PM

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2010/09/19/mormon_farmers_grow_barley_for_beer/?p1=Well_MostPop_Emailed5

My favourite part of this story is that the farmer they found is also named Scott Brown.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: September 20, 2010 12:12AM

It's funny because in Idaho Falls there are two large buildings you notice as you drive through. One is the Mormon Temple and the other is a giant construction that stores grain to make beer: The Beer Temple.

Comically the farmers attending one supply the other. And they don't seem to struggle with the conflict in what they believe and what they do. Bizarre.

Posted by: Skunk Puppet ( )
Date: September 20, 2010 12:20AM

I had the same link from Sept 8 to post on RfM but then the board crashed.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gFkBuo_3p3DpuF4U5rcxg8A75iPwD9I3JKNG0

My favorite comment from the article: "But the church, which declined to comment for this story, doesn't demand everybody quit drinking."

Of course not! Not when there's a buck to be made and placed in a Mormon's pocket.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: September 20, 2010 12:41AM

Mmmmmmmmm . . . barley from Burley.

I'll drink to that!

Posted by: Charley ( )
Date: September 20, 2010 12:17PM

They grow beer barley here in Colorado too. One of the farmers also teaches seminary and tells the kids that the reason he is well off financially is because he is so faithful to the church. Growing barley apparently has nothing to do with his success.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.