Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: canary21 ( )
Date: November 09, 2016 01:00PM

Where in the BOM, Pearl of Great Price, and/or D&C does it say that Heavenly Father "is eternally progressing"? I found a passage in Nephi where it says that Heavenly Father "is the same as yesterday, today, and tomorrow." Is there anything that also describes what Heavenly Father looks like (other then he was once flesh and bone in D&C)?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2016 01:01PM by canary21.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: November 09, 2016 01:08PM

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: November 09, 2016 02:57PM

Because the BoM doesn't match mormon theology, despite being the "most correct book on Earth".

Another example might be this:
"For do we not read that God is the same yesterday, today, and forever, and in him there is no variableness neither shadow of changing?
— Mormon 9:9"

Uhhhh....where do they read that? That's *New* Testament, from Hebrews 13, talking about Jesus. Supposedly the only thing the Lehites brought with them would have Torah writings as part of the Old Testament.

Joseph Smith & Co. cribbed everything, and then sometimes JS forgot what they cribbed, because it didn't fit with whatever he came up with later.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: November 09, 2016 08:17PM

In my BYU religion classes, I was taught that HF is progressing by having more spirit children, creating more worlds, and doing on other worlds what had been done on this world. The big question was whether or not each world required its own savior, or was Jesus's atonement valid for other of HF's worlds.

One professor even speculated that if we kept all of our covenants, perhaps we would also have to atone for our own children's sins. The rationale was that HF was a perfected man, so there were probably other perfected men with worlds and saviors. If we became gods, we would follow the pattern of doing what had been done on other worlds.

I'm sorry I can't remember the references he gave, but it seemed like they came from the King Follett Discourse and some of Joseph Fielding Smith's writings. The Cougar's Boner.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2016 08:17PM by BYU Boner.

Date: November 09, 2016 09:31PM

Does the Mormon scripture tell us how heavenly father looks like other than flesh and bone in the D&C?

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: November 22, 2016 12:57PM

He looks like a white dude, that's fer sure.

Think Charleton Heston, or maybe Burt Lancaster with white hair. Oh, wait, that's Moroni: http://kennethcope.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Moroni-framed.jpg

But, seriously, a white dude. And kinda studly.

Date: November 22, 2016 11:46AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2016 11:47AM by canary21.

Date: November 22, 2016 11:47AM

I googled "King Follet Discourse" and came across a variety. Which one should I be looking at?

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: November 09, 2016 09:33PM

Look into teachings by Brigham Young and the changing world of Mormonism by the Tanners. There was a whole church debate that went on for decades on this very subject. Brigham felt that God was learning and progressing as he went along where as Orson Pratt thought that god already was perfect and knew everything. God was actually Adam. Adam was suppose to be the God of this Earth.

Also look into the lectures on faith written by Joseph Smith (which was scripture up until the 1870's). Many principals have come and gone in the church. Mormon doctrine was re-examined, and reorganized at the end of Brigham Young's long life and a progressing God was thrown out with the trash.

As for what mormons believe God looks like, the conjectures come from what other heavenly beings that were seen looked like to those who saw them. Look at the pioneer journals. Start with the book Symbols in Stone by Mathew Brown. There are many pioneer recollections, visions and dreams where they saw heavenly personages. There is the account of when at Far West they sat on their backs and gazed into heaven and saw Adam and Eve. Adam and Eve were described to be thick set (fat?) and very large and tall. All these beings had brilliant white hair, none were Black or Mexican or Chinese.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2016 09:45PM by poopstone.

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: November 10, 2016 10:51AM

Poopstone wrote:
>Also look into the lectures on faith written by Joseph Smith (which was scripture up until the 1870's)

It was still in the D&C until 1921.

I have my Grandfather's D&C, and the Lectures on Faith are the first part. It was printed in 1883.

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: November 10, 2016 04:55PM

good clarification.

Date: November 10, 2016 09:40PM

Can I get a copy of that?

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: November 10, 2016 09:59AM

How dumb do you have to be to not be able to realize that JS made it up as he went along? What I'm asking is how stupid was I REALLY?

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: November 10, 2016 10:16AM

The earless twit sure as hell hasn't learnt very goddamn much.

Posted by: schweizerkind ( )
Date: November 10, 2016 01:58PM

may he rot in hell, was firmly in the camp of no further progression. He humiliated a popular BYU professor over the issue.

He-was-a-malignant-pompous-ass-ly yrs,

S

Posted by: brefots ( )
Date: November 10, 2016 02:42PM

I'm just waiting for HF to grow a little and come to the very obvious conclusion that the current "plan of salvation" is seriously messed up and that he can call the entire stupid scheme off.

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: November 10, 2016 05:50PM

I think it's important that Heavenly Father do SOMETHING.

I for one don't like the idea of Him just sitting around all day on the sofa getting even more cranky. The Devil makes work for idle hands, as my grandmother used to say.

How about we all pitch in and find something for Heavenly Father to do? Gardening? Pizza delivery? I bet He'd make a good pool boy.

I'd urge caution, however--changing careers can be tricky, especially for someone of HF's advanced age. Plus, there are some jobs I don't think would be a good fit. Attorney, for example--somehow the combination of "Heavenly Father" and "lawyer" gives me pause.

Posted by: Drew90 ( )
Date: November 10, 2016 07:25PM

So if he was once a human like us, what was he like then? Was he a rebellious teen? What music did he enjoy? What did he do as a career?

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: November 10, 2016 09:00PM

H.F. doesn't eternally progress, but His kingdom does.

What does H.F. look like? Gen. tells us we were made in His image, so He looks like his children.

What does he do all day? Rule His ever-expanding kingdom.

IMHO,
Polly

Posted by: sunbeep ( )
Date: November 22, 2016 01:44PM

I'm afraid I can't be of much help here. I never was any good at scripture referencing and morg doctrine went in one ear and out the other. I rarely ever payed much attention to the teacher and tried to sit on the back row where I mastered the art of sleeping while sitting. I wonder if my initials are still carved on that wooden bench.

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: November 22, 2016 01:48PM

Just like any pyramid scheme, Elohim is now only "progressing" in his downline.

Once you acheive god status in mormon theology the only thing to do is cultivate more gods under you by way of the plan of salvation.

So he'll never be higher than the gods in his upline, because the more gods he cultivates in his own downline, the more they have in theirs.

He can also get more wives, I guess.

But yeah, that's it.

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: November 22, 2016 05:21PM

Back in the 1960's I was taught that HF is continuing to evolve and progress. Oh, maybe it is that the Mormon church is ever changing and evolving.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2016 01:39PM by michaelc1945.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.