Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: levantlurker ( )
Date: November 15, 2016 09:33AM

This is inspired by the "Are there any other people here born after 1980?" thread.

I was born in 1986 (just turned 30). As many people do from my generation, I identify my childhood strongly with mid- to late-90's culture. Given that 90s nostalgia now is being commercialized, it got me thinking - what pop-culture phenomena did you all miss out on because of your TBM families, or even living in the Moridor? It doesn't have to be from the 90s.

I had fairly liberal, inactive parents, but was close to several cousins and friends with conservative parents.

Off the top of my head, here's what I remember being banned in some of those households (mine included since I have a younger brother).

1) Violent video games like Street Fighter 2, Mortal Kombat, or Contra
2) "Vulgar" pop-music like Eminem, Christina Aguilera, or just about anything from a black artist.
3) Magic the Gathering (yes, had a friend who's parents thought it was "pagan")
4) Bowl cuts and "frosted tips"
5) Ball-bearing and hemp necklaces
6) JNCO jeans
7) Most MTV shows like Beavis and Butthead, Comedy Central's South Park, and even and some Nickelodeon cartoons like Ren & Stimpy and Rocko's Modern Life.
8) AOL Chatrooms (after desperately spending 30min getting busy signals on your dial-up connection).
9) Anything R- or even PG-13 rated at Blockbuster (or anything with Pauly Shore)
10) Tamagotchi pets (never understood that one).

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: levantlurker ( )
Date: November 15, 2016 09:41AM

Oh! Great memories of sneaking into my first R-rated movie. "Con Air".

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: November 15, 2016 10:06AM

The great things from the 90's I missed out on because of momo standards:
Terminator III, One of the Rambo movies? video game violence, God Father III, dungeons and dragons frenzy!

Ummm, I don't think I missed much, lol!

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: November 15, 2016 11:01AM

Grew up in the 60's. No TV on Sunday. I missed out on.....

Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom.

The Wonderful World of Disney.

Lost in Space.

The Time Tunnel.

The Wizard of Oz.....only came on once a year, on a Sunday.

I didn't miss out on.....

The Ten commandments.

Ben Hur.

The Robe......these came on once a year on Sunday too.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: November 17, 2016 01:28AM

We were able to watch TV on Sundays. The same programs you missed, we watched - usually after Sacrament meetings.

Sometimes I skipped Sacrament and feigned being sick to my tummy so could stay home while the rest of the family went to church without me; just so I wouldn't miss the Disney show. That's when our Sacrament was later in the day.

My parents would let me stay home if I feigned illness. Not if I had told them I was staying home to watch ABC.

Wizard of Oz was one of my favorite childhood movies, like it was/is for millions of other children. Having to wait to see it once a year back in the day was something to look forward to when it did finally come around again.

Then vying to get the coveted TV time, when other things were more appealing to my dad such as his favorite news program, or a real killer: a football game he had to watch that preempted the Wizard of Oz one year.

Posted by: Strength in the Loins ( )
Date: November 15, 2016 11:10AM

I missed out on having a sense of self-worth and self-esteem. I can't entirely blame the cult for that. There were other factors also. But being raised in the church most certainly did not help in that regard.

I missed out on a healthy sexual development. Shame was attached to anything having to do with sexuality.

Anything else is pretty trivial compared to that.

Posted by: dp ( )
Date: November 15, 2016 04:38PM

I was going to say the same thing, but with a bit more vulgarity. Thank you for your better-worded comment.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: November 18, 2016 01:05PM

Strength in the Loins Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I missed out on a healthy sexual development.
> Shame was attached to anything having to do with
> sexuality.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This.

Posted by: quatermass2 ( )
Date: November 18, 2016 11:27PM

Yes, absolutely.

The Leaders in SLC have blood on their hands because of this sort of thing.

Posted by: laperla not logged in ( )
Date: November 15, 2016 11:13AM

Date: November 18, 2016 11:28PM

But wasn't Walt supposed to be a (jack) mormon?

Posted by: liesarenotuseful ( )
Date: November 15, 2016 11:18AM

I can't think of anything I missed out on. We watched Disney and Wild Kingdom on Sundays. We went out to eat on Sundays, until the prophet said to stop it. That was annoying.

I was pretty shy, so didn't date much, and probably wouldn't have anyway.

My mom let me get away with sleeveless blouses, short skirts, and short shorts.

I had no interest in alcohol or drugs anyway.

I was pretty boring, so lds lifestyle fit me. The activities were fun back then.

Date: November 17, 2016 01:35AM

We weren't allowed to get away with short skirts in my Mormon school or church. They actually measured with a ruler if needed, to ensure no skirts were more than 2" above the knees.

In grade school I used to roll my skirts up when I got to school, because my mom wouldn't let me leave the house in a mini dress or skirt. By junior high and high school we were steeped in dress code. Dresses were required - no pants or blue jeans - until 8th grade when the code allowed girls to finally be able to wear slacks, but never blue jeans. Or we'd be sent home if we dared.

Guys couldn't wear their shirt tails outside their pants, and hair couldn't fall below their collar. Oh, the good old days, not.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: November 15, 2016 11:20AM

Mostly I missed out on teen and young adult sex, and I wax very resentful about that. A high school girlfriend once moved my hand down between her legs, and I pulled it back because I was too obedient at the time. Then I went off to BYU and fell in love. After I got my mission call, I confessed to my girlfriend that I didn't want to go because I'd likely lose her. She said that she couldn't marry a guy who didn't complete a successful mission. So I went, because I wanted to fulfill my part of the bargain. A few months later she became sexually active with a student who had been kicked off his mission after only 2 months for leaving a pregnant girlfriend behind. I was such an idiot. I lost out on two years of college education and sexual development so that I could go abroad and tell people that they needed to replace their venerable religion with fucked up Mormonism. I came home and was a virgin when I got married. Stupid. Fucking moronic stupidity. *slapping face*

Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: November 15, 2016 12:08PM

Yeah. Me too.

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: November 15, 2016 02:52PM

Now that's something I did not miss out on!

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: November 15, 2016 12:40PM

"Pop Warner" football and little league -- because both had games or practices on Sundays, so I was forbidden to join by TBM mom.

More than that, as some others have pointed out, but those were the big ones that got to me. And to make matters worse, my mom didn't bother to research either, letting me try out and make teams, only to THEN find out that they had stuff on Sundays, and pulling me after I was already on teams.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: November 15, 2016 12:48PM

Can't think of much. After I got my drivers licence at 16 the world was my oyster. I raised as much hell as I thought I could get away with.

RB

Posted by: Sexton ( )
Date: November 17, 2016 07:41AM

Piss on a few graves along the way there eh, Ron? Yeah, you were quite the boyo, I'm sure.

I don't about Alberta, but in the United States your preferred grave pissing stunt is a criminal offense, charged out as either a felony or misdemeanor, depending on the State and circumstances.

Classy!

Date: November 18, 2016 11:46AM

?????????

Date: November 18, 2016 11:51AM

WTF? Was it something I said?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 18, 2016 01:04PM

Apparently happy, content, well rounded people need to be taken down a notch! I think it counts as an 'up vote'!!

Date: November 18, 2016 01:22PM

Apparently the case EOD. I now feel like I've been properly scolded. Oh, well. Can't please everyone. I'm just enjoying the bright sunshine on the new snow and just chillin'.

RB

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2016 01:31PM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Posted by: blakballoon ( )
Date: November 18, 2016 11:58PM

Umm, so did you ever piss on a grave? just curious lol

Date: November 19, 2016 06:41PM

Actually no...but I've thought of doing it.

RB

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: November 15, 2016 02:45PM

I grew up in the "mission field" in the 70s and 80s.

-I missed being a Girl Scout because it met on Wednesdays at the same time as Primary.

-I wasn't allowed to go to friends' birthday parties that were on Sunday.

-I didn't go Trick-or-Treating on Halloween in 1976 because it was on a Sunday. I still had to pass out candy to all the neighborhood kids though. I'm pretty sure this was the first item on my shelf at 6 years old.

-We weren't allowed to watch Three's Company or Love Boat.

-I lost my best friend in fourth grade because my parents invited her family to a Mormon activity that ended up being a high pressure missionary event. My friend's parents wouldn't let her play with me after that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2016 02:59PM by want2bx.

Date: November 18, 2016 11:31PM

> -We weren't allowed to watch Three's Company or
> Love Boat.

What was considered wrong with The Love Boat?

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: November 15, 2016 05:21PM

I missed an awful lot of free time because of church meetings. So I didn't get enough play time. A local TV station showed monster movies right at the time I had to attend Primary. I missed a normal sexual development. I missed out on self esteem, due to constant criticism and spankings. I missed petty things, and I missed large things due to a Mormon upbringing.

The church is an all out assault on human progress.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: November 15, 2016 10:09PM

I grew up "in the field," surrounded by "gentiles." I missed out on feeling normal.

I grew up in Mormonism. I missed out on feeling worthy.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: November 15, 2016 11:11PM

Let's see.

-Turning down invitations non-members parties where I could or would not be able to explain to them about the WoW or the law of chastity. I am pretty sure that I would have accepted every dare to chug beer in drinking contests.

Instead, I waited for phone calls to "hang-out" from TBM pseudo-friends in the ward that never came.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2016 11:12PM by messygoop.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: November 15, 2016 11:20PM

Hours on hours of my life practicing the organ.

My parents thought I would be the church organist and it would be useful on my mission.

I also spent hours learning to read the deseret alphabet. My grandmother was sure Christ would return in my lifetime and I would be leaps and bounds ahead of those that could not read the sacred alphabet.

Posted by: Southern ExMo ( )
Date: November 17, 2016 01:12AM

Iced tea (housewine of the south).

And since iced tea is EVERYWHERE here in the south, I had to deal with the awkwardness of explaining to people WHY I couldn't drink iced tea. And yet, I really did NOT understand why I couldn't drink iced tea.

Life is very difficult here in the south, for those who cannot drink iced tea for religious reasons.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: November 17, 2016 03:28AM

1970s. I didn't allow myself to listen to questionable music except what my brother played when we got ready for school, Doors, Rolling Stones, etc., but ONLY when he played them. My dad didn't like his music, but he usually didn't play it around my dad. I didn't even allow myself to listen to Simon and Garfunkel until I was 25 because my TBM roommate listened to them.

I chose not to marry 3 nonmormons to save myself for my one and only, who ended up being gay anyway. Talk about messed up sexuality in oh so many ways.

I would have liked to have just lived a "normal" life. I was so ridiculously hard on myself that my parents never worried about what I was doing or would do. They NEVER expected me to leave the church and neither did any of my siblings (let alone friends).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2016 03:28AM by cl2.

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: November 17, 2016 08:01AM

I missed out on just BEING AROUND all sorts of people and learning how to live and let live. But also, not learning how to be personally EMPOWERED, so feeling more fearful of people.

Posted by: Emmabiteback ( )
Date: November 17, 2016 04:10PM

So, just to add a few shows to the list from the OP. Simpsons..big no no and not allowed. Married with children and Cheers also prohibited. MTV, loved it but not at my house. Now, Rambo, Hamburger Hill (war movies in general) and MASH all approved for viewing. (I actually liked MASH but lots of drinking and sexual content that I never realized until I was older. Funny it had the green light to watch).

Posted by: Emmabiteback ( )
Date: November 17, 2016 04:14PM

For some reason Howard the Duck was a show we couldn't watch. It's been so long I don't remember why.

Posted by: dp ( )
Date: November 19, 2016 01:52AM

'cause Lea Thompson is/was hot, and there was a sex scene (PG, of course) and lots of innuendo in that show.

Horribly bad movie, but maybe you should find it and watch it anyway.

Posted by: Jimbo ( )
Date: November 18, 2016 11:40AM

NFL football because we went to church on Sunday and this was before Monday Night Football in the late 60's .My parents would not buy Coke,Pepsi but I would sneak them at the 24 hour laundry

Date: November 18, 2016 01:00PM

The ability to think critically.

Whenever I tried to think critically, the quote "when we think for ourselves, Satan wins a great victory" would stifle any further thoughts in that direction.

And now ... Thank God for being an atheist :-)

Posted by: mrcoffee84 ( )
Date: November 18, 2016 02:18PM

Born in 1984. I was going to say I missed out on vacations to normal places (like Florida, Disney world) instead of temples, church history sites, and Utah. I have yet to ever step foot in Florida, but as a young adult I've enjoyed MY version of a good vacation.

Sigh......

Date: November 19, 2016 07:04PM

My children are in same age range as Opie. Their upbringing was quite a bit more liberal, even when in the church. I was strict about R rated movies, and frowned on the more violent video games. By time kids were in high school all those ratings were passe by then. They'd been watching some R rated shows as required viewing since grade school as part of their curriculum.

The values I'd been raised with were not something my children's secular schools embraced. But we got through that transition somehow. My children, like their peers, are very civic minded. Does anyone ever have a perfect childhood? I doubt it.

My parents were poor working class. Nothing came easy for their children. I don't doubt that they loved us, despite hardships and lack of parenting skills. In some respects the church was instrumental in forming our values and identity. It wasn't all bad. It just wasn't all good either, considering how duped my family had been for generations.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.