Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: angsty ( )
Date: May 12, 2011 08:54PM

-------------------------------------------------------
>I'm sorry, but I find this seriously depressing. If my wife changed to another religion, I would consider it a lost soulmate, a loss of eternal vows... I would consider it the end of my world. I don't know how I could go on.

>So go ahead, try to put a happy face on it; but it would be death to me.

That is just sad.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Truthseeker ( )
Date: May 13, 2011 11:02AM

At least we know which "religion" they are speaking of and why the adherents of that religion would be so devastated by the spiritual awakening of their spouse. Possibly the spouses that stick with the "religion" are most upset that they are stuck - paying the 10% and working pointless jobs on their own.

Posted by: mrtranquility ( )
Date: May 13, 2011 11:11AM

My TBM father sent my TBM wife and me a newspaper article about a mixed marriage of TBM and a Presbyterian (or something like that) and my TBM wife was just disgusted. There's was no way she would even entertain thoughts of interacting on a level playing field. In the five years since she's never budged an inch.

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: May 13, 2011 11:31AM

Being on the same page is an important building block in any marriage. I was raised mormon while beloved spouse of thirty-two years was raised fundie christian. We don't do and never have done the "church" thang as a married couple. The absence of religion is a commonality that works quite nicely for us.

A bit different in the cult. When wifey-poo defects its no big deal to her partner. He's gonna have thousands lined-up to take her place once he arrives in the CK, so the loss of a single baby-factory ain't no thang.

Not so rosy when hubby calls it quits. Mama's done lost her ticket to the CK. She simply can't get there on her own. Better to ditch the bum and move on than allow him to drag her down to a lower kingdom later on.

I found this most interesting:

"Religion provides a foundation, a set direction in life. A common religion gives couples a path to follow, a frame of reference to make decisions."

No it doesn't. Never has and never will. What it does provide, however, is a formula for disaster. This board is replete with such disasters.

A married couple doesn't have to be on the same page on every issue. Just the big ones.

Timothy

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2011 11:37AM by Timothy.

Posted by: Stunted ( )
Date: May 13, 2011 11:44AM

Do you suppose the church has too many divorced people to deal with and is trying to stem the tide?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.