Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: spiritist ( )
Date: November 15, 2016 02:56PM

'Spirit' has never appeared to me or warned me as a 'ghost' however, spirit tends to show up to 'warn' people of something that could be a danger or potential danger. I believe that would be the majority of time 'spirit' goes 'more clearly' (visually or verbally) assists people, especially for people who have very little knowledge or belief about 'spirit' assisting them.

So the part where there is a 'purpose' for showing up makes this more believable to me, based on my and many others experiences.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2016 02:57PM by spiritist.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: November 15, 2016 04:15PM

"It wasn't until a month later that this normal day turned into something quite abnormal."

So how many more times did she drive with no seat belt in the month after she took the selfie?

Granted...its a cool picture, but if the dead boy can show up for a selfie that she doesn't even see for a month, why couldn't he just do a Moroni and show up unannounced in her bedroom one night and tell her if she doesn't start wearing a seat belt, she'll die like he did?

It's either complete BS, or ghost's are very inefficient or have lacking capability at getting their message across to the living.

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: November 15, 2016 05:13PM

From the article:

"Kurtz decided to send the photo to Greg Pocha, the director of parapsychology, afterlife and paranormal studies at the Eidolon Project Canada. Pocha was able to use an image analysis program on the picture, a program that is also used by the FBI and CIA, to determine that the boy had no color or temperature, which could prove that the photo was indeed real."

Comments:

There's no way you could ever determine the temperature of ANYTHING from a normal, visible-light image, no matter what kind of analysis the image was put through (maybe unless the thing were glowing). And if it had "no temperature" it would be at absolute zero, which fact might present its own problems.

As far as the color of the "ghost?" It definitely has color, and that color is suspiciously close to the color of the car interior. (Oh, and the specter's chin looks a lot like a headrest lever.)

Hmmmmmm.

[Edited for clarity]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2016 12:40AM by lurking in.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: November 16, 2016 01:05PM

It's at least as convincing as that time an image of Jesus
showed up in the wrinkles of my 12-year-old nephew's scrotum.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 16, 2016 01:07PM

Now that's taking selfies just a little too far!!

Posted by: sunbeep ( )
Date: November 15, 2016 05:33PM

This is easily explained: One of the Three Nephites has a kid, who somehow ended up in the car to warn her to get her 2 year food supply. And then the kid simply vanished like his Dad and Uncles do.

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: November 15, 2016 06:19PM

I couldn't be more convinced if the entire whitmer family showed up in the selfie...

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 15, 2016 06:24PM

kolobtwain Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I couldn't be more convinced if the entire whitmer
> family showed up in the selfie...

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: November 15, 2016 07:35PM

LOL!!

Me either. I mean it's so simple. A lady takes a selfie without her seatbelt on and some time later sees a kid riding in the back of the car. There can be no other explanation! If I was a kid killed in a car accident, the first thing I would do -- first thing! -- is get into a car with a strange woman taking selfies.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: November 15, 2016 08:07PM

Ha ha ha...F & T meeting-style testimony.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: November 16, 2016 12:58PM

You win the internet!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 15, 2016 07:39PM

Memo to the mom -- the car does not move until the daughter puts on the seatbelt. Is this too difficult a concept?

Posted by: 64monkey ( )
Date: November 15, 2016 08:24PM

So conclusively when a kid dies the ghost is still a kid. When a baby dies then it too must stay a baby. If a 90 year old dies then surly by the evidence in this photo the 90 year old's ghost would look 90. Once again the belief in the supernatural fits perfectly into one's beliefs or prejudices. Why would a ghost take on the same appearance as mortal skin and bones.

Date: November 15, 2016 08:46PM

Actually, yes when a kid dies, before returning to the 'after life' the ghost is a kid. After a short time we are not human ghosts at all but bundles of 'intelligent energy' in the shape of balls ---- normally. We are 'not' human but only inhabit human, animal, plant, alien, etc. bodies and we definitely are not 'young'.

However, if 'spirits' ever appear to humans 'for a specific purpose' ---- they take on the human form to be recognized.

I only answered half of the issue at first (see post above) by saying if there was a 'purpose' it could have been an actual 'spirit' encounter.

However, based on the 'story in the paper' the 'suggested purpose --- the seat belt issue' was never proven to be a 'valid purpose'. The person didn't get in a wreck or have to make a sudden stop and an injury did or did not happen to the 'girl' either wearing or not wearing the seat belt. Therefore, despite what any 'paranormal institution' said ---- this story does not fit the recurring pattern that 'normally occurs' and I would have to lean that this siting was not a 'spirit' but some reflected image. If it was valid the story should have been about concerns of life after death or some other purpose with a story that connects some dots. This one doesn't, from what I read.

On my handful of experiences and others I have heard and read about there is "always" a purpose that 'can most times be verified' by what happens after. Normally, the purpose happens shortly after but on one occasion I got something that I knew would not happen for a few days because of the location and when I was going there.

On that occasion, I believed being forewarned was being forearmed and I could avoid any potential accident ----- wrong!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2016 08:50PM by spiritist.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: November 15, 2016 10:17PM

It's both amusing and a little sad when you say things like, "Actually, yes when a kid dies, before returning to the 'after life' the ghost is a kid," as if they were facts.

Hint: they're not.

Date: November 15, 2016 10:21PM

I do get what you are saying and no it is not a 'fact' I cannot prove my experiences are valid so it is always a "I believe based on my experiences".

I say things based on 'my experiences' ---- please tell me where I am wrong!

If you have no experiences or no support for anything then just admit it!

If you have experiences ---- please relate them!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2016 10:27PM by spiritist.

Date: November 15, 2016 10:27PM

spiritist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I say things based on 'my experiences' ---- please
> tell me where I am wrong!

The opening to your post above stated something as a fact, and said nothing about your "experiences." Now, if you'd said, "I believe that this happens," that would be one thing. You didn't.

> If you have no experiences or no support for
> anything then just admit it!

I always say so. And point out that you have no support for your claims, either. Surely you've noticed that by now...?

> If you have experiences ---- please relate them!

Never had any such "experiences." Nothing to relate.

Date: November 15, 2016 10:36PM

I get it ----- you are right.

I have been posting for over a year and I agree that something that can't be 'proven' should be stated as a belief.

I believe 'most' rfmers know what I mean but there are always new people so I will try to remember to make sure these 'crazy' statements are properly stated as 'beliefs/not necessarily facts'.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2016 10:54PM by spiritist.

Date: November 15, 2016 10:51PM

You're free to say them as if they were facts if you want.
I'm free to point out they're not.
No need to get snippy. :)

Posted by: anon here ( )
Date: November 15, 2016 09:21PM

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 15, 2016 10:23PM

So I did my little trick of turning the photo upside down. This is a trick that artists use to break mental preconceptions of an image (most people, even those untrained in art, can make a fair copy of an image that is upside down, because they are not fighting their preconceived notions of what the image looks like. They are simply copying lines.)

The girl, Harper, still has a clearly human face, even when the image is upside down. But the "boy" no longer looks human. I'm not sure what the image is. But it no longer looks like a face.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: November 15, 2016 10:45PM

It's just an anomaly in the photo

Posted by: GQ Cannonball ( )
Date: November 18, 2016 12:14AM

+1

I did the exact same thing, with the same conclusion.

Posted by: boingygoogle ( )
Date: November 18, 2016 01:56AM

I noticed the slight frown on the boy's face looks suspiciously like the wrinkles in the head rest on the other side of the photo.

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: November 16, 2016 05:23AM

seems legit.
Yah know, if ever see anything I cant explain, I always check the history of the immediate surroundings and see if a death ever occurred there.
Yah know what... you dont even have to expand your search radius very far and pretty much anywhere I have ever been had a death nearby.

and then I send all my unexplained stuff to a parapsychologist to see if he can determine the temperature from whatever colours are nearby

yeah, I am a cynic. But...How much of this is simply a family which is completely woo woo to start with and this simply feeding into their confirmation bias?

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: November 16, 2016 07:56AM

Child ghosts must be very bad at sending messages. Well, dang, even really really old heavenly messengers have difficulty getting a clear single message across. Look how much difficulty Joseph Smith had in reproducing it without changing his story each time. They really need to be more clear, maybe provide a handout at the end of the vision with the messages bulleted.

Posted by: Loyalexmo ( )
Date: November 16, 2016 10:24AM

Huh? That doesn't look like a kid at all, it looks like part of the seat.

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: November 16, 2016 12:36PM

You know what it's like with those magic eye drawings
me - i can never make them out..... then someone says 'here's the keel and this is a sail....', and *boom* there's a sailboat and now you cant help but see it.
I think it's the same with this.... its supposed to be a kid, and the area you are meant to look at has a nice circle around it.... *boom* now you cant help but see a face

Incidentally, we - as a species - are programmed to recognise faces.... we do it easily, anytime there is a simple combination of shapes...... there is even a name for it - Pareidolia

Posted by: ericka ( )
Date: November 18, 2016 12:32AM

Just reflections, stuff in backseat, tangled hair, and imaginations run wild. If someone needed a warning, why would a spirit go about it this way?

Just come right out and say HEY! there's something you NEED to know, RIGHT NOW!

That would get anyone's attention. Why do all the shadowy weird photo stuff? Not necessary. Those spirits know how humans operate. They KNOW they would need to be obvious in order to be heard.

This photos is just a weird fluke that someone wanted to make a big deal out of

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.