Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: May 12, 2011 08:52PM

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogsfaithblog/51803414-180/pantyhose-women-church-lds.html.csp

DW has been doing it for years in the summertime and especially when we were living in a tropical climate. But she was always guild-ridden over it, and hoped no one would pull her aside or turn her in. (Yes, Mormons would do that very thing.)

I felt so bad on my mission in Italy over this. I was serving on the island of Sardinia with 5 other guys and two women. We had a beach outing, and of course we all had to stay clothed and couldn't think about even wading in the water. But we could at least wear jeans and sport shirts. The two "LMs" (in the parlance of the day, "lady missionaries") had to dress as they always did, i.e., not only in dresses, but in women's hose (not panty hose, but girdles and nylons, as pantyhose were new and experimental, at best, and not yet approved wear for LMs). I think that being all dowdy and standing out in such contrast to everyone else must have been humiliating to them. It was sunny and very hot, and must have also been pretty uncomfortable, as well.

This is plain weird. They already have men and women wearing their damn BCUs ("birth control underwear," for the uninitiated, i.e., underwear that is so ugly that it's unlikely you're going to get laid), and then they make them wear the pantyhose on top of that--quite literally, in that you are wearing the pantyhose over the BCUs.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: miss anybody ( )
Date: May 12, 2011 09:04PM

I actually like pantyhose...no VPL with skirts or dress pants. I usually work in a freezing computer room but in hot humid weather I just wear t-backs.

Posted by: m ( )
Date: May 12, 2011 09:10PM

Finally some prophecy revealed...as usual 10 years late!

what's next...

Posted by: drilldoc ( )
Date: May 13, 2011 12:40PM

Posted by: think4u ( )
Date: May 13, 2011 12:48PM

You make me laugh, yeah, that, prophetic utterance.

Now let's see, we have tatts, one earring per ear, and pantyhose. Those are three pretty important prophetic utterances!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2011 01:12PM by think4u.

Date: May 13, 2011 12:49PM

Still laughing here!!! hahahahahah!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 12, 2011 09:15PM

I noticed at work a few years ago that most women were not wearing pantyhose with their skirts or dresses. So with some trepidation I nervously shed my hose on one hot early summer day. And with that, I finally figured out why women wear skirts and dresses in the first place. On a sweltering day, it's so much cooler to have the air flowing around your bare legs. What a revelation!

Next step: men in kilts? ;-)

Posted by: vasalissasdoll ( )
Date: May 12, 2011 09:28PM

If they ok'd kilts, I'd be front and center for sacrament meeting.

Posted by: drilldoc ( )
Date: May 13, 2011 12:41PM

vasalissasdoll Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If they ok'd kilts, I'd be front and center for
> sacrament meeting.

I wore a kilt on Christmas Sunday. Hahah. No one commented or said anything. What a bunch of bores.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: May 12, 2011 10:04PM

Yes, 10 or 12 yrs. ago when my daughters began to NOT wear pantyhose anymore....I was so appalled. I said you can't go out with bare legs!!! And I am a nevermo....boy it only took me about 8 months to get on board.....hated how they fit over your hips most of the time and the roll at the waist. So bare legs is all the go these last 12 yrs. or so where I live. The young set was smart to abandon them. We moms followed suit.

Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: May 13, 2011 11:48AM

Hose was required when I grew up in TSCC for any female in 7th grade or older (around 12 or 13). Pantyhose and a nylon slip under a dress in the summer was absolute torture. I remember being itchy and sweaty and hot and miserable in our building that didn't have air conditioning. I honestly thought of wearing a dress as punishment, so after I left TSCC I didn't even own a dress for a couple decades, and refused to go anywhere that required them. I even quit a hostessing job I had in college because they decided we should all wear a skirt on a designated day each week.

Fast forward to a few years ago. I wanted to change my style from jeans and t-shirts and for some reason tried on a casual cotton skirt. It didn't feel itchy or uncomfortable or binding like I thought it would so I bought it.

These days I wear skirts everywhere in the summer. I slap some Fake Bake on my legs and slip on some comfortable sandals and honestly, it feels about 10 degrees cooler than when my legs and feet are covered. They feel so comfortable these days, I even wear skirts to do my daily hour+ walk. I cannot imagine doing that wearing hose and a slip.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: May 12, 2011 09:15PM

This is all about getting horny male converts to join up and pay tithing. Skirts are allowed to be shorter and colors are allowed to be brighter... shoot, they're even allowed to accessorize. It's about sex and money for sure...

Posted by: deb ( )
Date: May 12, 2011 09:17PM

Posted by: Simone Stigmata ( )
Date: May 12, 2011 09:20PM

Posted by: AlmostFell ( )
Date: May 12, 2011 09:34PM

Me too, Deb, at least some of the time. There was also a day last summer when I wore a flirty dress, no hose, and sandals bordering of flip flops to SM. No one said a thing.

Posted by: Simone Stigmata ( )
Date: May 12, 2011 09:19PM

I can just imagine BKP, Tommie, Oaks, et al sitting around in their important meetings discussing women's pantyhose and under garments. Cool.

Date: May 12, 2011 09:21PM

Actually, in Europe a lot of LDS women wear pants. But it's almost a different church in the states.

Date: May 12, 2011 11:44PM

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 12, 2011 09:21PM

In-Fucking-Credible!

TSCC is soooooooooooooooo much into control, how is it that they EVER give ANY up?

Question: Do LDS leaders tends to show them 'in-touch' with the rank-and-file? NOT!!!!

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: May 12, 2011 09:41PM

But I guess if they can dictate under panties, they can also dictate hose. A non-brainwashed woman would never put up with any of it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2011 09:41PM by Cheryl.

Posted by: Ikki ( )
Date: May 13, 2011 12:29PM

Not even at work. I hate pantyhose!

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: May 12, 2011 10:00PM

I love that- Birth Control Underwear- and yet...they don't want you to NOT get pregnant.

Posted by: Stormy ( )
Date: May 12, 2011 11:29PM

Laughed aloud...never have seen a girdle and they found awful...

Tanned bare legs...sweetness

stormy

Posted by: Patti in Japan ( )
Date: May 12, 2011 11:57PM

I was forced to endure the hot humid Japanese summer in them as a sister missionary. Later, as a regular member here, I wore them to church in the winter, but went bare legged and sandal footed in the summer, and no one said I couldn't (though all the Japanese women wore them faithfully, with pumps or sandals). Now I don't think I even own a pair. The last time I wore them was to a funeral 4 years ago. Like garments, they're another symbol of bondage for me.

Posted by: kiwimum ( )
Date: May 13, 2011 01:26AM

That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.. not that they are getting rid of the rule that women have to wear them, but that they even had the stupid rule in the first place!!! What on EARTH does pantyhose have to do with the "gospel" anyway??!? I mean, come ON - are there any other aspects of one's life that they can possibly dictate?

Posted by: bingoe4 ( )
Date: May 13, 2011 01:35AM

Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: May 13, 2011 02:38AM

Exactly. Being a native of Arizona and Hawaii, I NEVER wore/wear pantyhose EVER. They are so totally deluded at the top. Ugh.

Posted by: brian-the-christ ( )
Date: May 13, 2011 09:52AM

Haven't women come a long way?

Today, the MEN of LDS, Inc. have given women directions on what clothes they can wear.

I guess women have FINALLY achieved equality with men...because men dictated to women that they can lose the hose!

Mormon women should be grateful to the MEN for allowing them this great freedom...and it's only the year 2011.

Posted by: Rod ( )
Date: May 13, 2011 11:22AM

Finally. Now I don't have to fear the "panty hose police" when I go to work in the great and spacious building. For years, I've been without panty hose from late spring until fall at work. I guess that someone finally convinced the men who make up the dress code to put on a pair of panty hose and wear them around all day. The only thing panty hose are good for is keeping your legs a little warmer in the foul winter weather.

I hope I don't get called in to HR for this comment. :^) Pray for me.

Date: May 13, 2011 12:33PM

Was there seriously a rule about that? I wore bare legs and dressy thongs ( NOT thong underwear) at least 5 or 6 months of every year.

Wow, had no idea about that one. Are you sure? And my ex was in the bishopric twice!

Posted by: lissie ( )
Date: May 13, 2011 01:09PM

Love the comment section (an hour of my life that I will never get back):

What an amazing red letter day for women! I'll bet they just love having MEN tell them what they are ALLOWED to wear!

Nice little subservient vassals

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.