Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: No name ( )
Date: November 16, 2016 11:16PM

Hey guys it's a now nameless exmo. I am what used to be Exmo Aspie. However after visiting an autism counselor today it turns out last year that Aspergers has been removed from the list of diagnoses. It doesn't exist anymore. I am now considered highly functioning autistic.

Since the diagnosis doesn't exist anymore, then the cover name of "Exmo Aspie" is dead.

I need a new one. Please comment below your ideas for a new name for me.

Admin note: The Subject was scary and not something I wanted to wake up to. I hope you don't mind, I added the note.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2016 07:23AM by Eric K.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: November 16, 2016 11:18PM

A rose by any other name...

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: November 16, 2016 11:21PM

We love you! Stay strong and let us know how you're doing!

Posted by: Ohdeargoodness nli ( )
Date: November 16, 2016 11:25PM

$hit, you had me scared thinking you had died!!!

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: November 16, 2016 11:31PM

Ohdeargoodness nli Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> $hit, you had me scared thinking you had died!!!

Me, too!!!

:) :) :)

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: November 17, 2016 02:03AM

Me, too!

Have a kind thought for us old farts, okay?
Don't scare people like that!

As for a name for you... how about:

X Aspie?

XmoXaspie?

ScaredU (you did!)

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: November 16, 2016 11:26PM

in b 4 ~ "Exmo Ass~burger" ~

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: November 16, 2016 11:32PM

CabinBoy

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: November 17, 2016 10:05AM

Or, Not Moby's Dick

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: November 16, 2016 11:38PM

God, you scared me dude, with that subject line.

I still just call myself an Aspie. Whatever it is, I'm just a tad weird and that's all. Otherwise, I function just fine, thank you very much. LOL

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: November 16, 2016 11:49PM

Keep reading posts here, and I'm sure you'll spot an amusing word or phrase that will make an xlnt moniker for your screen name. Where do you think I got the silly GA name of Chicken N. Backpacks? :-)

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: November 16, 2016 11:51PM

You scared the crap out of me for a second there with that subject line.

Posted by: Anonymous 2 ( )
Date: November 16, 2016 11:53PM

How is that even possible!?? I have Asperger Syndrome and I've never heard of it going away. I'm always fixated on one thing. For me it's typically TV, movies and video games(but mostly movies!) I have many of the behaviors in the link.

Asperger Syndrome

https://www.autismspeaks.org/what-autism/asperger-syndrome

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: November 17, 2016 01:29PM

Hi Anon 2. It's not the Asperger's that has gone away. Just the diagnosis, from the way it's labelled now in the DSM.

Read Southern ExMo's post on this thread which explains it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2016 01:29PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: Southern ExMo ( )
Date: November 17, 2016 12:43AM

I'm Asperger's too.

Well, I used to be Asperger's. Now, I'm high functioning autistic too.

Yeah, they brought in DSM-5 back a year or two ago (DSM 5 is the diagnostic bible that is used to diagnose and treat people, and bill insurance with).

The powers that be decided that they'd just lump Asperger's onto the autism spectrum, totally ignoring some of the special qualities that distinguished Aspies from other high functioning autistic individuals.

My personal opinion is that they did this in order to, ultimately, find ways to deny special services to more Aspies. I can't prove that, of course, but in my neck of the woods Aspies never were able to find much in the line of support services anyway. And now, with this change, even the few support services that did open up for local Aspies are being denied to most local Aspies.

I am so glad that I'm old enough that I don't need services anymore. (Of course, when I was young, there were NO services available at all, as Asperger's was not a recognized syndrome yet).

But for a while, younger Aspies could find needed support services.

Now -- at least in these parts -- most of those support services are closed to them again, since adoption of DSM 5.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: November 17, 2016 03:19AM

I'm also someone who used to have Asperger's, which was gone because of DSM-5 and it wasn't until I was nearly 30 that I was actually diagnosed because it wasn't recognized as a syndrome when I was a child. The reason I got diagnosed is that the therapist I was seeing at the time thought I had traits of it. Whatever those people say, I still call myself an Aspie because I have some traits even though I'm high functioning.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2016 03:22AM by adoylelb.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: November 17, 2016 12:50AM

Fire the counselor.

Glad to hear you survived. Don't scare us like that!

Posted by: Ohdeargoodness nli ( )
Date: November 17, 2016 01:44AM

+1000

No more scaring your fan club!!!

Posted by: JenMikell ( )
Date: November 20, 2016 01:48AM

AmyJo,

It's actually not the counselor's fault. The disorder literally does not exist in the new DSM, the DSM-5. It is now called "high functioning autism. It's really messed up, but technically, the counselor was correct.

Posted by: JenMikell ( )
Date: November 20, 2016 01:50AM

My husband "had" Asperger's, and is now classified as High Functioning Autistic. I work in mental health. When I told him Asperger's no longer exists, he looked at me confused and said, "Yes it does. I have it!" I love him.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: November 17, 2016 04:11AM

Glad to hear that it's only your diagnosis which has died. I too was a bit worried that it was a friend of yours reporting your passing.

Posted by: anonuk ( )
Date: November 17, 2016 04:54AM

I've started asking people if they watch the big bang theory - I have even recommended it to a fellow mother whose oldest is ADHD.

The character 'Sheldon Cooper' is a great example of a highly functioning autistic and in later seasons his girlfriend displays many of the same autism spectrum symptoms.

It is funny when you recognise a behaviour or two (or more) displayed for comic effect in a sympathetic manner: it helps outsiders better understand the autism spectrum too, imo.

Totally agree with other posters that your title gave me what we call in east scotland a 'fleg' - relieved like the others that you are actually okay.

Aspergers are usually quite high functioning in society and usually have higher than average IQs yet they do share a lot of traits of low functioning autisitcs, such as tics, obsessions and routines. In my experience, people are more sympathetic to the label 'autism' than to 'aspergers'. This is due to previous media portrayals of autism (for those old enough to remember 'st elsewhere' there was a portrayal of a severely autistic child who was completely withdrawn from any social contact or interaction, and of course 'rainman' which is not truly representative of a savant but hoffman does a good job nonetheless).

The biggest problem all autistics have is that they think differently from most of the population, that is, the way their brain makes connections is more highly aroused and actively functioning all.the.time. I think you will find yourself more accepted in society in general under your new 'label' of autistic. Just remind everyone to think along the lines of "knows all the moons of jupiter but cannot tie shoelaces".

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: November 17, 2016 07:35AM

Posted by: anonuk ( )
Date: November 17, 2016 03:29PM

:)

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: November 17, 2016 07:06AM

Just because scientists grow out of favor with a name doesn't mean we necessarily have to get rid of it? like the Brontosaurus. Now they think it was something else completely different and have named it something else. They don't know of course, but we are suppose to not believe in it any longer.

Anyways I always thought the word Aspie refereed to "Aspiring" to be an Exmo, hence Exmo Aspie, QED

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: November 17, 2016 07:17AM

Don't say that. This has been the year of losing friends and relations. 2016 sucks. Make it go away. My best friend in Germany passed away yesterday.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: November 18, 2016 12:48PM

You have more than enough to worry about without a blow like that hitting you.

Posted by: nomonomo ( )
Date: November 17, 2016 07:41AM

How about "Highly Functioning Exmo" for a new name?

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: November 17, 2016 07:49AM

A+ Exmo ?

Or maybe just don't use a label related to it, well, unless you purposely want to be identified that way in order to connect to people through it.

But otherwise, just pick something you like.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: November 17, 2016 09:57AM

For anyone interested, here's some info on the name change:

https://www.autism.com/news_dsmV#sthash.Tz0u3Gq3.dpbs

I don't have a handle suggest, pick one you like. I'll just point out that in all the time you've been here, the diagnosis of Asperger's hasn't been what defined you. It's been your intelligence, honesty, depth of feeling, and ability to write well that have defined you -- and endeared you to us. I don't think the DSM-V should have anything to do with your handle. :)

Posted by: ipseego2 ( )
Date: November 17, 2016 12:24PM

X-man.

Posted by: No name ( )
Date: November 17, 2016 01:09PM

I don't mind

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: November 18, 2016 09:38AM

Exmo Exaspie

Posted by: Cold-Dodger ( )
Date: November 20, 2016 08:20AM

The title scared me.

There are many people who still refer to themselves as Aspies. :) the diagnosis is still the same, I thought, but the name has changed in the DSM 5 to combat misconceptions about what it means to lay people.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 20, 2016 09:28AM

Pluto is still Pluto, and it still revolves around the Sun, regardless of whether or not scientists call it a planet.

You are still you. Pick a new board name that pleases you, or keep the old one if you wish.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: November 21, 2016 12:39AM

ExMo Beef Cake? ExMo Undeluded? ExMo saw the light? Got a million of em....

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: November 21, 2016 02:44AM

Things are always being added or dropped according to various trends, fads, and socio-political pressures--especially regarding sexual matters. It demonstrates that psychology is the softest of the soft sciences, with the possible exception of sociology. If something bothers you, wait out an addition or two--it will be adjusted.

Take it from a semi-exaspie.

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: November 21, 2016 11:50AM

How bout "Exmo-Aspieree!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.