Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: May 12, 2011 09:58PM

I have to get my big complaint in--

Movie theater becomes moviehouse

Laundry becomes warshouse

Bishop's storehouse

Steak restaurant becomes steakhouse--

or so my mother thought when she Utah-ized her question about a place to eat. Surprise!

Anagrammy

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: snb ( )
Date: May 12, 2011 10:02PM

I've never heard of moviehouse or warshouse.

Is that a central Utah dialect?

Steakhouse is a pretty common term all around the nation.

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: May 12, 2011 10:44PM

Growing up I heard it called "Warshington" so much that I spelled it that way until I was 12.

:D

Date: May 13, 2011 01:10PM

lol

Date: May 13, 2011 02:53PM

Yes, which in Utah is heard as

"stakehouse"

so my mother got directions to "some big church building" instead of the restaurant she was looking for!

Anagrammy

Date: May 13, 2011 03:15PM

Hahaha! That story is great, I love it!

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: May 12, 2011 10:36PM

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: May 13, 2011 09:12AM

you betcha....dontcha know!! with that nasal sound!! I am from Minnesota ay??? yeah kinda Canadian sounding dontcha know~~~ :)

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: May 13, 2011 03:00PM

bignevermo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> you betcha....dontcha know!! with that nasal
> sound!! I am from Minnesota ay??? yeah kinda
> Canadian sounding dontcha know~~~ :)

LOL I'm Canadian and I've never said 'eh', or 'ay' in my life. I don't know if it's certain parts of Canada which uses it or what, but I don't know anyone who says it here.

Posted by: Phantom Shadow ( )
Date: May 12, 2011 10:53PM

I also included stuff on the Deseret alphabet. My teacher, a Russian, was fascinated. I didn't take the class for a grade, just for practice in writing on an academic subject. I should dig it out--BYU linguistics actually keeps track of this stuff.

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: May 12, 2011 11:32PM

dot com. To us it sounds like you are saying "daaaat caaaam"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2011 11:32PM by ozpoof.

Date: May 13, 2011 12:03AM

In the northern Midwest of the US, Chicago, Minneapolis, etc., there is an accent that takes that even further. "dot.com" really sounds like "dat cam." There's a radio comedy team called Bob and Tom that I used to hear pronounced like "Bab and Tam" when I lived in Minneapolis. :)

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: May 13, 2011 07:01AM

ozpoof Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> dot com. To us it sounds like you are saying
> "daaaat caaaam"

That's especially strong in Western New York, for cities like Buffalo and surrounding areas. I grew up where we received a lot of Western New York TV stations. Top becomes tap, etc.

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: May 13, 2011 09:14AM

Posted by: Redwing ( )
Date: May 13, 2011 06:53AM

The one that always got me sounded like this: going to St. Garge for the Lard, to ride harses in my sharts.

But the Ozarks are no better: here they say 'you-uns' for you plural, & all ya'll - for every one.

ya et yet? yont too? (have you eaten yet? do you want to?)

Posted by: maeve ( )
Date: May 13, 2011 10:05AM

My Grandma, who lived in Logan, resided on "Farth Narth". She sometimes would drive to the town of "Hyde Pork". "Ward" rhymed with Lord. It used to drive my nuts to listen to her pronunciations.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: May 13, 2011 07:17AM

(For the uninitiated, Mormon-occupied western US is referred to as "The Intermountain West," and includes Utah, and neighboring parts of Idaho, Wyoming, Arizona, and Nevada.)

Words that pop to mind are:

"slippery-slide" for slide
"flipper crutch" for slingshot (that's a really weird one)
"borrow pit" for the shoulder and median of the road (a misnomer, because a borrow pit is a location where rubble and dirt are mined for building a road surface--always a big hole in the ground)
"gentile" for non-Mormons (really a misnomer)

Uh,... Can't think of anymore just now. Give me a while.

They also say "nershery" for nursery, and "pichure" for picture. Many of the more provincial Utahns still use the antiquated prefix "a-" on gerunds, like, "He was a-goin' and a-goin'."

Posted by: Richard the Bad ( )
Date: May 13, 2011 09:56AM

the "borrow ditch" is the ditch along a crowned and ditched dirt road. It is where they "borrowed" the dirt to form the "crown" of the road.

But you are correct, the borrow "pit" is different, but I have the terms used interchangabley.

Posted by: ThinkingOutLoud ( )
Date: May 13, 2011 08:28AM

I love word differences! Anagrammy, you crack me up.

I last lived in Pittsburgh, and we have joke books on Pittsburghese in every roadside rest area and bookstore there.

Y'unz (you ones), same as for parts of Appalachia, is where Pittsburghers get their nickname: Yunzers.

I've heard that in West Virgina and KY smetimes come out as youwens (you ones, or young ones, depends).

Warsh (wash), red up (short for "to ready up the house" to make it suitable for company), steakhouse and icehouse, I had heard in Ohio where I grew up.

But slippy ice or "It's slippy out there!" (black ice on roads in winter), no.

Nor dippy eggs (softer fried eggs with sloppy, runny yolks you can dip your toast in), nope yet again.

Never been to Utah, but have been to AZ, NV and CO. Southern AZ has some strange things going on, word and pronunciation-wise.

Posted by: tbirdguy ( )
Date: May 13, 2011 10:24AM

I lived in Provo/Orem area of Utah in the '80s. A lot of people called the "glove box" in the car a "jockey box." Never found out why.

I used to hear about the Jentsens up the street. They weren't the Jensens. They were in their farties.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: May 13, 2011 11:02AM

Liberry instead of library
Feb-YOU- ary instead of February
Ignernt (i'm sure many have covered this) used to describe someone as ill-mannered, usually by an ill-mannered person him or herself.
Dok-der instead of Doctor

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2011 11:03AM by itzpapalotl.

Date: May 13, 2011 01:12PM

My favorite is [lae'n] for Layton.

Posted by: KC ( )
Date: May 13, 2011 11:05AM

Posted by: Darksparks ( )
Date: May 13, 2011 11:23AM

Posted by: truthseeker176 ( )
Date: May 13, 2011 11:31AM

I came not to a strange people with a hard language, . Eze 3:5
Yankees be aware

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: May 13, 2011 12:28PM

I hear echos of an Appalachia accent in Utah and some of their quirks like a-goin' come straight from there. Think Tennessee, Kentucky and Missouri (which locals pronounce Mazurah, I think).

Posted by: angsty ( )
Date: May 13, 2011 01:30PM

so I can't speak to that, but I've spent most of my life in Appalachia (Ohio, Kentucky, Virginia, Tennessee) and I just don't hear any particular connection. I mean, it's the same language so there are going to be commonalities with any region, but if you dropped a native Utahan anywhere in Appalachia, people would immediately know they weren't even remotely local.

Posted by: J. Chan ( )
Date: May 13, 2011 01:39PM

I've spent a lot of time in eastern Kentucky, eastern Tennessee, and western Virginia. I don't hear any similarities in the accents. The local vocabularies are also dissimilar.

Date: May 13, 2011 02:58PM

My step grandmother was from Missouri and she pronounced it

Mizurah - all one syllable!

It was the soft slurring and running together that made me think it was a state I'd never heard of.

Ana

Date: May 13, 2011 03:00PM

Also, I noticed the head bob was often used to replace the 'ya, for example,

'preciate (head bob in your direction)

(head bob for ya) 'gwon now

Anagrammy-- love me some crazy language!

Date: May 13, 2011 01:16PM

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: May 13, 2011 01:22PM

I once got sent to "engineer" installation of Air Force equipment in a remote site in West Texas. It was a small project; everybody knew everybody else but I kept hearing of "Bob Ware" whom I had never met.

Turns out "Bob Ware" is what you make into a fence to keep cattle in or out.

Posted by: WinksWinks nli ( )
Date: May 13, 2011 02:38PM

I'm in WA, but I heard this all the time at church. Nobody could say thank you, ever. It was always 'preciate ya, short for I appreciate you doing/giving (whatever).
Sometimes run together even further: preciatchya.

Is that a transplanted Utahism? Or just a weird thing local to WA that I only ran into at church?

Date: May 13, 2011 05:00PM

We certainly do say it in Utah. It could possibly have moved through the ward network :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2011 05:00PM by snb.

Posted by: LCMc ( )
Date: May 13, 2011 03:42PM

Here is a link with dialects from US and other Countries.

http://www.accenthelp.com/collections/british-isles?gclid=CJqRia2G4qgCFchO4QodGTM9DQ

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.