Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: November 20, 2016 10:14AM

Last week a German family friend in his mid-70s died after a long-fought battle with stomach cancer. He and his wife, who died in 2002 of scleroderma, were like grandparents to my kids. We first met them some 32 years ago, after which they became integrated into my family and we into theirs.

They often made waffles that were like none other, and eating them represent cherished memories of them and their wonderful house. The waffles' beautifully sweet scent will bring back the memories for our entire family. So in memory of the two, I pass on their recipe in Americanized form. It probably qualifies as a Belgian waffle, but is literally a German waffle, so... Call it what you will. The important thing is they are not like American waffles, and need no syrup or butter, because they come loaded with sugar and butter. They are for eating plain, dusted lightly with powdered sugar, or being topped with blueberries, strawberries, etc. Or you can just eat them as many Europeans eat waffles--by hand with just about anything else. If you put them into a container, they last for a couple of days at room temperature. I've said too much. Besides, I'm repeating what's below:

1. Beat until fluffy the following:
- 2 sticks softened butter
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 6 egg yolks (save the whites)

2. Slowly mix the following with the butter mixture:
- 4 cups sifted flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder (sifted in with flour)
- 2 cups slightly warmed milk, adding a bit at a time as you mix

3. Beat the 6 egg whites until very stiff. Fold the whites into butter mixture gently, until mixture is evenly colored.

Use Belgian-style waffle iron, c. 1/4 cup batter per individual waffle. Eat them plain or dusted with powdered sugar, topped with berries, whipped cream and such. They come out sweet and buttery, so they're better without syrup or added butter.

Store at room temperature; don't refrigerate. Eat leftovers later plain with just about anything, even like the Germans might do--with salad of Boston lettuce with yoghurt dressing.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: holycarp ( )
Date: November 20, 2016 10:55AM

So...what time do all of us come to your home for breakfast?

Posted by: sunbeep ( )
Date: November 20, 2016 11:18AM

Yes, please pick me up on your way to cludgie's house. Got my own fork too.

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: November 20, 2016 11:20AM

I copied the recipe. DW is sick with the flu. I am going to try this. Looks simple. It has been a miserable week and these waffles sound good.

Not to hijack your thread... On top of the miserable week a long term co-worker died on Tuesday at the age of 61 - sudden heart attack. I had worked with him over 30 years at two different firms. He was an extraordinary individual. He made work as pleasant as possible and was brilliant engineer. The funeral was Friday.

Posted by: Ericka ( )
Date: November 20, 2016 01:24PM

You've sure had a bad week. It has to get better after this.

I hope you're waffles turn out good. Just be sure the bowl you ship your egg whites in is 100% grease free. Same with beaters. Do not use plastic. If there's any grease at all the whites won't whip. You may already know this, but just incase you don't.

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: November 20, 2016 04:47PM

"DW is sick with the flu."

Sorry to hear that, Eric. Please give Kathy our best. Our son Tyler is down with some sort of congestion this weekend too. There must be something going around.

Sorry about your co-worker friend too.

Date: November 20, 2016 01:26PM

These have to be good with all that butter, vanilla and eggs.

I think i'll make these in the morning. I have some apples that will make a good topping.

Posted by: liesarenotuseful ( )
Date: November 20, 2016 02:43PM

this recipe sounds fantastic! I'll copy it and give it a try.

Posted by: kativicky ( )
Date: November 20, 2016 03:54PM

Wow, that sounds yummy!!!! Thanks for sharing.

Date: November 20, 2016 04:44PM

...you can use the same batter to make funnel cakes. Just heat about an inch or so of cooking oil in a 6" or 8" round skillet. The oil will be dangerously hot, so use tongs or whatever. Slowly pour the batter into the oil using a funnel or similar. Criss-cross the batter over the entire pan to weave the batter together. Fry it for just a couple of minutes, then flip it and fry the other side. Lift the cake and put it on a paper plate to drain the oil off. The process is pretty much like frying homemade doughnuts. Favorite toppings are powdered sugar or strawberries and whipped cream.

In our old LDS ward, we made funnel cakes at the annual fair for many years as a fundraiser. We sold about 4000 during the 8-day fair. When the church instructed wards to stop holding fundraisers, the trailer kitchen was sold to a couple in the ward and they continued selling them for years.

Alternative recipe: Stop by the Krispy Kreme while the "Hot doughnuts now" sign is lit and pick up a fresh dozen. :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2016 04:48PM by randyj.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: November 20, 2016 05:09PM

I love funnel cakes! And these waffles!! Okay, I'll go back to my yoghurt and oatmeal...Damn! When did I turn into an old fart? The Boner.

Posted by: South bound ( )
Date: November 20, 2016 08:00PM

Will you ease come and cook at the oil patch camp in northern alberta? Please. Please. Please

Posted by: OzDoc ( )
Date: November 20, 2016 08:50PM

Sounds good. For those of us who love to cook but are not American-- How much is "a stick' of butter?

Date: November 20, 2016 10:16PM

Date: November 21, 2016 08:50AM

The recipe calls for 500 g.--a metric pound--of butter, which is slightly-slightly more than 1/2 lb. American. Stupid Americans. Anyway, 1 lb. of American butter is divided into 1/4 lb. sticks. Hence, two sticks of butter. Working from the American perspective, I generally add a couple of tablespoons extra to account for 500 g. being slightly more than 1/2 lb.

I said it was Americanized. But I forgot you were out there.

If you want, I will post the European measurements if I can find them. It's all like you would probably do it in Australia, i.e. in weight units (so many grams of flour and sugar, etc.). Or I can haul out my cooking scale and reverse-engineer the recipe if I can't find the original.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: November 21, 2016 09:44AM

Um, 500 g is slightly more than one pound, not half a pound. That's why they call it a metric pound.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2016 09:48AM by Brother Of Jerry.

Date: November 21, 2016 10:04AM

You can see I contradicted myself in my own post--an obvious error. It's what happens when you consistently get like 3 hours' sleep per night. As I say, a metric pound is 500 g. A metric half pound is 250g. One half a US pound is slightly less than 500 g, two sticks of butter slightly less than 250g.

Posted by: Tyrrhenia ( )
Date: November 21, 2016 12:12PM

Already yesterday I wanted to ask you how much is two stick of butter, but my Waffeleisen went kaputt months ago, so I cannot make Waffeln anyway. Then I read your conversion in gram today and I was wondering how could it be possible? a half KILO of butter??? 250 grams makes more sense.

Date: November 21, 2016 12:23PM

A half kilo of butter would make awesome waffles, though. You gotta admit.

I do know my metrics. I swear it. Here, I'll show you:

American measurements: "A semi crashed on the I-95 between Slack Jaw and Tooth Gap, spilling tons of canned tuna."

Metric measurements: "An articulated lorry crashed on the M-1 between Rugby and Shitterton, spilling tonnes of tinned tuna."

Date: November 21, 2016 01:32PM

Without looking, how many bars is 32 PSI? The true test of metric conversions is translating foot-pounds into Newton-meters without the Internet. Try it. Also, working in your head, how cold is it in Celsius if it's 2 below zero in Fahrenheit? Bonus question: Remind me, why do Americans use Fahrenheit? Wadn't Fahrenheit some German guy or something? Don't Germans use Celsius? How is it that "inflammable" means "flammable?" What kind of place is this?

Posted by: Tyrrhenia ( )
Date: November 21, 2016 02:04PM

Aaahhhhhh!! cludgie! I can't stop laughing. You are going through so much right now and it seems it is getting more, instead of less, but it is good that somehow you still have a verve.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: November 21, 2016 02:12PM

cludgie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Also, working in your head, how
> cold is it in Celsius if it's 2 below zero in
> Fahrenheit?

Oooh, I know that one! -19!

Temp conversions are easy. Pressure...not so much. I think 32PSI is 1 bar (STP), but not certain...

> Bonus question: Remind me, why do
> Americans use Fahrenheit? Wadn't Fahrenheit some
> German guy or something? Don't Germans use
> Celsius?

Because the English used to use it.
We're so current...not.

edit: damn, I looked it up -- 32psi is 2.2 bars. Shoot. :(

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2016 02:13PM by ificouldhietokolob.

Date: November 20, 2016 09:19PM

4oz. or 8 Tablespoons. This is not diet food, but a nice holiday breakfast food (IMO). I could eat these every day, but i'd probably have a lot of health issues and weigh 400 lbs. Sooo, like ice-cream, once or twice a year is it for this food of the Gods.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: November 21, 2016 01:16PM

Now I really have waffles on the brain. I might even buy me a waffle iron just to do this. If I'm going to take the time to make waffles from scratch, I want to make the best.

The only waffles I've cooked in probably the past 15 years have been what I make for the granddaughters--a mix where you just add water and made in the Hello Kitty waffle maker (they actually make the Hello Kitty figures).

Date: November 21, 2016 02:48PM

Posted by: East Coast Exmo ( )
Date: November 22, 2016 12:32PM

Posted by: ericka ( )
Date: November 22, 2016 12:26PM

Hubby was home from work today so I made these this morning.
Wow are they good! I cut the amount of sugar in half, and they were still pretty sweet.

I think next time i'll try adding 1/4c pumpkin and cutting the milk down 1/4 cup, adding pumpkin pie spices and some pecans.

These are really wonderful!

Date: November 22, 2016 12:28PM

Don't overthink it, but good luck. A big "D'oh!" on cutting the sugar, though. Don't be cuttin' no butter.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: November 22, 2016 04:28PM

Maybe their Flemish. Or Dutch?

I'd serve them with my French vanilla coffee, except that I found out it came from Quebec, which makes it French Canadian coffee. I used to enjoy my brew from Green Mountain Coffee roasters, but I was disillusioned to learn that they grow it in the Lake Champlain valley, and not actually on the Green Mountain highlands.

Can't trust those marketing guys, can we?

Date: November 22, 2016 07:42PM

"Can't trust those marketing guys, can we?"

I suppose that next, you'll be tellin' us that Irish Spring soap isn't really made in Ireland.

Date: November 23, 2016 07:51AM

And that the Irish actually don't talk like the people selling the soap.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.