Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: newcomer ( )
Date: November 21, 2016 12:52AM

... You see the look on their faces, as they're trying to compute how atheist me is happy, making more money than them, most likely assumed to be having a lot of sex with many girls and doing what I want on my free time.

It's an unspoken, but deafening, jealousy.

I'm what they want to be but at the same time everything they loathe.

But... I'm just going to keep on smiling.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Honest TBM ( )
Date: November 21, 2016 01:02AM

One thing probably not emphasized enough is the genuine peacefulness, joy, laughter, happiness, and leisure ness that the glorious gospel brings into the lives of our members. As soon as the Ward gets 100% home teaching, 100% on chapel cleaning assignments, 100% on temple session and cleaning assignments, everyone reading scriptures daily, and everyone magnifying callings then I will suggest the idea in ward council that we do more to emphasize how peaceful, joyful, and full of leisure and laughter that Mormonism causes in our lives :) right now it's stretched to the limits on keeping everyone sane. But presuming that the next round of shaming by the Spirit works out well as expected in inspiring greater dedication/commitment then maybe we will be able to have some extra capacity to better communicate how much joy and laughter the gospel brings. Regardless, it's with feelings of great terror that Satan will lock us down in chains that we are cautious to never let the decibel levels of our laughter reach iniquitous and covenant-violating levels.

Date: November 21, 2016 02:59AM

Exactly...

To keep their world view intact, I'm sure some of them are saying to themselves that Satan is using me to tempt then to question their church.

I'd like to know that drug they think I'm selling from the trunk of my car or what they think of my intact, well-rounded, Christian family.

I mean, my parents don't have the gospels like Mormon co-workers do, so surely God is testing their authenticity.

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: November 21, 2016 03:45AM

I share your attitude towards Mormons. We have been Mormons ourselves, our Mormon parents tried to instill that arrogant elitism into us. We "get it." All the social climbing and pretense and living outside your means, made me turn my back on them, socially.

Most likely we have gained success by working hard, being honest, and devoting this effort towards supporting our family, and helping them build a future. We have aspirations of college for our kids--not missions. It's more important for our children to be good, law-abiding citizens of the community and of the world, rather than for them to cheat, and claw their way into petty church positions, with the philosophy of "It's all who you know."

Rather than turning our children over to the cult to raise, we raised them ourselves--and that takes a great deal of time and effort--and that's a great joy in life. Many financially successful non-Mormons earned the money almost as a bi-product, or after-thought, on their journey to set a good example, and simply do right in the world. Some of us were to occupied with the present tasks at hand--and enjoying the moment--to be concerned about life after death, and Mormon threats and myths. I always felt that I was in a different place than the Mormons.

You deserve every bit of satisfaction and laughter!

There's a war going on, and it isn't our war at all; in fact, we aren't even participating. Mormons are competing with us non-Mormons. Some even try to undermine us, thinking they can step over us to get to the top. Some gossip behind our back, and if there isn't any dirt on us, the Mormons just make it up. I think the jealous Mormons are going to lie about us, and there's nothing we can do to stop it. We're damned if we fail, and double-damned if we succeed. I had to work hard to stop caring what other people (Mormons I don't know, and that I don't deal with on the job) think. The Mormon cult is a mouse that roars.

Sometimes it can be funny as Hell!

I was at a funeral for an ex-Mormon cousin, held in a mortuary, and the deceased had requested no Mormon music, no Mormon preaching. The TBM wife of one of the dead woman's grandsons was supposed to tell a few family stories, and, instead, she preached about the plan of salvation. My three lifetime fanatic RM/bishopric/senior-mission cousins were sitting in front of us, and they actually gave each other low-fives, and said, "YES! She got some Mormonism in there!" It was like, "in your face!" The Mormon relatives all congratulated that speaker. I swear, it is WAR.

Instead of respecting our dead cousin's wishes, and appreciating her wonderful life of motherhood, and of REAL volunteer service and charitable donations, it seemed that the Mormons in the family was just waiting to insert their nastiness into the funeral, and take over yet again. They missed out on knowing one terrific lady.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: November 21, 2016 06:27AM

The dead are easy debate opponents.

Date: November 21, 2016 06:05PM

The high-fiving proselytizing at the funeral is the best example I have heard of a cult.

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: November 21, 2016 12:34PM

Maybe this is just me, but it may be that your perception of their unspoken jealousy is your spoken superiority.

If you think they loath your success, which by your admission they have never actually confirmed to you. It says more about you than them.

I'd be willing to bet that there are Mormons who make more money, have more sex, have more free time, and are happier than you are. I'd also be willing to bet that there are Mormons who don't make more money, have more sex, and have more free time that are happier than you. But most importantly I would be willing to bet that some of those who supposedly loath your success couldn't care less about your life because they are spending time with their life.

Sometimes when you put yourself above others you tend to distort your perception. I think it is about the lack of oxygen when you are up in your rarefied air.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: November 21, 2016 03:34PM

My mormon coworkers can't figure out why I still have a job in my "career" when they've all lost their's, and just as I was losing another account, guess what? I got another one and was able to refer several of them to this same place.

I'm far from someone who thinks they are anything special and mormons made sure they let me know it. And I don't brag. I may state some things on this board, but not one person here has met me in person.

Several mormon women are still trying to figure out how I've been with my boyfriend for 12 years even if I'm a HUGE SINNER. They still blame me that my ex isn't straight and think they can "fix" him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2016 03:35PM by cl2.

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: November 21, 2016 03:45PM

I accept your individual circumstances and I appreciate your individual experiences. Particularly given the fact that they have expressed their feelings to you.

My post was directed to the OP and to no one else. Unless someone else illegitimately believes that random people are envious of them.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.