Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anemone ( )
Date: November 21, 2016 06:51AM

So I came across this scale that's used as a way of quantifying psychological control and abuse from various groups. It's developed by Michael Langone, executive director of the International Cultic Studies Association. Obviously any numerical scale is going to be imprecise and have flaws, but if you're like me and like quizzes and putting numbers to things, you might find this useful and validating.

You can take it here:
http://www.cultrecover.com/sites/default/files/pdfs/Group_Psych_Abuse_Scale.pdf

I scored my experience within Mormonism on here and got 105. For comparison, according to a 1996 presentation in Toronto, people in a support group in the Cult Awareness Network (RIP), scored an average of 95.50. To be fair, I'm not sure exactly what a 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 is supposed to look like.

Also some of the questions are phrased in a way where I'd assume you'd give yourself 5 points for a 1, 4 points for a 2, etc. "The group does not tell members how to conduct their sex lives" would be one example, where disagreeing with it would mean a higher level of abuse.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Topper ( )
Date: November 21, 2016 11:23PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.