Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: November 22, 2016 11:09AM

"Driver Thrown Over Bridge Into Icy River After Stopping to Help on I-84

The saying 'no good deed goes unpunished' rang true for Steven Arrasmith who stopped his car on a bridge between Idaho and Oregon to help a driver who had lost control on the ice.

A short while later he found himself soaking wet, stripped of some of his clothes and stranded on a small island in the freezing river some 50 feet below.

The 34-year-old from Mesa, Idaho, stopped his Jeep on the Interstate 84 bridge around 6 a.m. Monday (8 a.m. ET), Oregon State Police said in a statement. He wanted to help a Chevrolet Colorado that had lost control on black ice and collided with the side of the bridge.

Arrasmith was standing next to the vehicles when a third car, a Hyundai, also lost control and struck his Jeep, shunting the other cars forward and knocking him over the railing.

He suffered "a serious injury" but managed to hang onto the side of the bridge for a short time before dropping 50 feet into the bitterly-cold Snake River below, according to the police statement....

"In the darkness, Arrasmith managed to shed heavier clothing and swam to a nearby island," the statement said.

First responders at the scene of the crash could hear his yelling and managed to reach him. He was taken to hospital with "non-life-threatening injuries," the statement added.

Neither of the other drivers received serious injuries."

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/driver-thrown-over-bridge-icy-river-after-stopping-help-i-n687086

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: November 22, 2016 12:05PM

Since he survived the river, I suppose it was too cold for Stan to get out of bed that day.

Date: November 22, 2016 01:06PM

He probably felt that way himself after the morning he weathered.

Would've made more sense to have stayed in bed under the blankets, and called in sick!

Posted by: Fell out ( )
Date: November 22, 2016 01:14PM

The Samaritan only stopped because the stranded driver was female and wearing something provocative. The Samaritan had an evil thought when he met the damsel in distress and skydaddy immediately initiated another driver "comin in hot" and took out the perv.

Skydaddy does this all the time for eternal viewing pleasure

Date: November 22, 2016 01:39PM

That's assuming Skydaddy has a sense of humor ....

A 50 foot drop could only be viewed as 'funny' from a remote distance: high, dry, and unscathed.

That's a script right out of Dudley Do-right and Penelope Pitstop.

Alas, such as it is, reality's a far cry from make believe.

At least here there was sort of a 'happy ending.' Not so much for the landing part. :)

Posted by: sd ( )
Date: November 22, 2016 03:36PM

cute girl wearing a tank top in cold weather. Now there's an image.

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: November 22, 2016 05:33PM

Sounds rather nippely.

Posted by: incognitotoday ( )
Date: November 22, 2016 05:44PM

I always stop. Always will. It's the second commandment. Equals the first. Learned this from all those who have helped me in times of trouble...

On the other hand, I know he had a critical case of 'river dick.' Ladies, you have no idea of the crisis! Used to have an outy. Got an inny. Check with BYU Boner for details. High beams rank well below, 'RD.' It ranks close to childbirth. Well, not really. But...

Date: November 23, 2016 06:48AM

incognitotoday Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I always stop. Always will. It's the second
> commandment. Equals the first. Learned this from
> all those who have helped me in times of
> trouble...
>

Ah, this makes you a mensch of the highest order!

Maybe even an Ubermensch.

My dad set the same example when we were children, to stop and help someone in need. He had boundaries though. Such as it were was hitchhikers. Once when he let me drive as a 15 year old, I stopped the car along the highway and my dad nearly had a heart attack, because I stopped to pick up a hitch hiker.

I didn't understand why he'd be so upset over that. It wasn't until a few years later, and some life experience I realized how foolish I was and how wise dad had been about that.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.