Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: nomilk ( )
Date: May 13, 2011 10:13AM

I'm sure there are exceptions, but it seems to me that the amount of people who practice polygamy have a higher rate of people on public assistance ( food stamps, etc. ). The idea that is ok to keep having children without even planning to take care of them is hard for me to accept. I'm sure there are some that need help because of loss of job or health. From what I've read and the few people I've actually met, it seems they rely pretty heavily on the public dole. Anyone lese actually know more about this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: May 13, 2011 10:15AM

That it was created so people could and would practice it.

On the other hand, the FLDS have apparently cracked down on it and are supposedly trying to actually be as self-sufficient as they've claimed to be. It makes me worry for the children.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: May 13, 2011 10:23AM

It means they're taking from evil gentiles to build God's true kingdom on earth.

Posted by: Puli ( )
Date: May 13, 2011 10:56AM

My wife has read several books by polygamous women recently. She has said that public assistence is seen by many of the groups they come from as a way of benefiting from what they see as an evil government. The phrase they use is "milking the beast" to describe their taking money from government. I believe this was true of the FLDS as well as some others.

Posted by: get her done ( )
Date: May 13, 2011 04:44PM

My experience is not any more than anyone else. Met several professionals doing very well with lots of wives and kids. Heaven on earth.

Posted by: tamm ( )
Date: May 13, 2011 05:07PM

I've met both people getting assistance and people who aren't. To be honest though, the polygamists I know who don't receive government help are far better off. They have better relationships with their children and they always to seem to get along better with the people around them.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: May 13, 2011 05:58PM

investigated and found that $4 million a year flowed into Colorado City from the state of AZ.

They took money to run their own schools - and then kept the kids home and bought a private plane for the leaders instead. They took money for running police and fire depts. There was no oversight or accountability.

That's on top of welfare programs.

The FLDS was worth many millions and it was all controlled by a few top men at that time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2011 05:59PM by Heresy.

Posted by: christieja ( )
Date: May 13, 2011 06:30PM

There is a large polygamy group where I'm from and at least some of the women and their children are on public assistance. I only know this because I'm in the medical field and the kids have Medicaid.

I think temporary assistance is wonderful to help individuals and families get on their feet. It breaks my heart to see any family have to live completely off the government for extended periods but there are also those that take advantage of the system in the form of Section 8 housing, Medicaid, Low Income Energy Assistance, Food Stamps, etc...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.