Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 26, 2016 05:50PM

Sure, those twist the container, cook'em up fresh crescent rolls are nice, but in the long run, King's Hawaiian butter rolls make for really delightful three-bite ham and turkey sandwiches.

What are you gorging on in these post-turkey dinner days?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: November 26, 2016 05:59PM

I buy them and they disappear.

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: November 26, 2016 05:59PM

Oh man, I love those--I can't get 'em down here--now I hate you even more. :)

Basically anything from the bread family will get me over the hump--a fresh baguette from one of the neighborhood panaderias. I had to try a bunch of 'em before I found the ones I like--the joint's a little farther away but when the bread comes out of the oven at about 11 a.m. it's just perfect. (The walk back up the hill allows me to slather on extra butter, of course!)

Posted by: Tall Man, Short Hair ( )
Date: November 27, 2016 11:53PM

getbusylivin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Oh man, I love those--I can't get 'em down
> here--now I hate you even more. :)
>

You have not because you shop online not. Try Walmart.com and https://groceries-express.com. It looks like they'll throw some in a box and mail them to you.

Date: November 28, 2016 12:01AM

Even if GBL could get them down there south of the equator, up in the Andes, while they were still edible, the shipping costs would be extremely prohibitive!

I didn't look at Wal*Mart, but I did see that on Amazon, even with Amazon Prime, they still wanted USA shipping costs that came to MORE than the cost of the rolls!

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: November 26, 2016 06:02PM

I just went there as it was the closest to where I was at the time and the traffic was horrible. I like Cafe Rio much better. I only have leftover jello and yams as those were what I took to dinner.

I guess I'm going to have to try those rolls again. I wasn't that impressed before. I buy Costco rolls and eat them as a snack.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: November 26, 2016 06:14PM

They make perfect rolls for little BBQ pulled pork sliders. Little chopped onion & slaw with tangy BBQ sauce & it's heaven.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: November 26, 2016 06:33PM

They are magic. First tasted them at Kings bakery in Honolulu in 1980. Wish I could buy them here.....

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: November 26, 2016 06:52PM

I've had those before, they are pretty tasty.

Right now am enjoying some sliced turkey on a Zomick egg challah roll, with just the right amount of mayo and honey dijon, and romaine lettuce. Now that spells delicious.

Enjoying every morsel.

Posted by: 64monkey ( )
Date: November 26, 2016 06:56PM

I want to be buried with a package and some butter.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: November 26, 2016 07:02PM

That sounds like a plan. My never-Mo maternal grandfather who more likely than not smoked himself into an early grave, since he'd been smoking from the age of ten on, was buried with not only his best suit and tie ... one of my aunts tucked a pack of his cigarettes in his lapel pocket, with a book of matches.

I've been curious to this day were his casket to be 'resurrected' from its above ground resting place in the mausoleum, if those cigarettes and matches would still be there, untouched?

Or if his addiction extended from beyond the grave? ;)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2016 07:30PM by Amyjo.

Date: November 26, 2016 07:51PM

My wife worked as a teaching assistant at a local Hutterite Colony school (Anabaptists like the Amish) and she'd bring home bread an buns on baking day and theirs were very close to Kings for yummyness.

RB

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: November 26, 2016 08:03PM

...spinach dip. Just cut the bread up into bite-size squares and dip away. Talk about addiction...

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: November 26, 2016 08:11PM

They're very popular in California, and sold in every grocery.

Posted by: Mr. Happy ( )
Date: November 26, 2016 09:04PM

Back in 1978 I worked at a grocery store in Bel Air, CA. One day my store manager opened up a new product we started carrying called King's Hawaiian Sweet Rolls. A knife and stick of butter were nearby. I've been addicted ever since.

Now they are making hot dog and hamburger buns!! Bastards.

Posted by: presbyterian ( )
Date: November 26, 2016 09:09PM

My former church (long story) uses the big rounds for Communion bread!!!! The kids run to help clean up after church to get a big hunk of leftover body of Christ.

Date: November 26, 2016 09:12PM

>
> a big hunk of leftover body of Christ.
>

I always thought of him as a leftover kind of guy!

Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: November 26, 2016 09:20PM

So if a church used Kings Hawaiian for the Sacrament bread, would hot dog buns be used for the priest to place the weiner?

Posted by: Trails end ( )
Date: November 26, 2016 09:59PM

Rons mention of hutterite buns brings back some memories...got invited to dinner a few times...great food...yet you always see them buying mcds in town like its special...already have the best at home but are used to it so buy crap for lunch in town...theres a humanities lesson in there somewhere

Date: November 26, 2016 10:09PM

Been there for a couple wedding suppers. Lots of food...and beer. Never seen 2 kegs drained faster. And yes, they love to hit the fast food joints when they are in town...and the VLT's in the bars.

RB

Posted by: yummy ( )
Date: November 26, 2016 10:32PM

Plain, with butter or dip, but really, hard salami and swiss. Room temp.

A package of each and it's dinner for the pups and me.

Posted by: Bruce A Holt ( )
Date: November 27, 2016 12:35AM

They are evil and must be destroyed. Bring them to me.

I'll take care of 'em...

Posted by: kativicky ( )
Date: November 27, 2016 08:23AM

They are really good. I worked with a lady who would make pulled pork in bbq sauce and would bring some of these rolls in to make little sandwiches with and they were soooooo yummy.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: November 27, 2016 01:11PM

Home-made pan de sal. King's are great, but freshly-made, warm out of the oven home-made rolls (Filipino style pan de sal) make for the absolute best turkey & ham 'sliders.' :)

Posted by: peculiargifts ( )
Date: November 27, 2016 03:46PM

Yeah, right, tell us about it, but don't include the recipe.... Where is your holiday spirit?

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: November 28, 2016 05:04PM

It's a secret. I could tell you, but I'd have to...

No, wait, never mind. Here's a good one :)

http://www.kawalingpinoy.com/pandesal/

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: November 27, 2016 02:18PM

I bought them occasionally when I lived in Las Vegas and really enjoyed them

I saw them at Smith's grocery here in SLC, and was excited to have them again. For some reason, they didn't taste as good.

Date: November 27, 2016 03:07PM

memikeyounot Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I bought them occasionally when I lived in Las
> Vegas and really enjoyed them
>
> I saw them at Smith's grocery here in SLC, and was
> excited to have them again. For some reason, they
> didn't taste as good.
>

They are baked specially for Utah; the church mandated that the fun be taken out of them.

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: November 27, 2016 05:57PM

That's a good one. I did take a couple of packages to a family party last summer and they were a hit then. Mix of TBM and not :)

Posted by: montanadude ( )
Date: November 27, 2016 03:51PM

Thanks for the thread elderolddog! King roles make great bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwiches. I didn't have a dinner idea. Off to the grocery store.

Posted by: anonculus ( )
Date: November 27, 2016 07:22PM

Too sugary, too gummy for me.

For store-bought rolls I like LaBrea "Take & Bake" french rolls. They're about 3/4 baked, so you finish them at home in the oven for about 6 minutes.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: November 28, 2016 12:15AM

Just yesterday, I was at a Small Business Saturday event, and I was able to have pulled pork sandwiches on those rolls. Also, one of my friends works there, and what I've heard is that sometimes those who work in the office get to have some of those rolls hot from the bakery.

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: November 28, 2016 05:32PM

I like "Rhodes" freezer rolls. Frozen dough, thaw in a cupcake tin, bake! Fresh, fluffy and hot!

I made a very nice pumpkin soup over the holiday weekend......pureed Georgia Candy squash (cooked), chicken broth, half and half, salt, pepper, cumin, Red Robin seasoning, butter. Topped with toasted peanuts and cilantro....turned out really good, definitely a keeper recipe.

I also made persimmon ice cream. A co-worker has been giving me bags of them....turned out great, very creamy too.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: November 29, 2016 12:35PM

You are so off topic here that you need to be punished, severely

I shall see to it promptly. ;)

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: November 29, 2016 01:52PM

I still have the studded leather collar, chain leash, and riding crop. Man, I'd love to hear him squeal for all those uncouth snarky OTs he makes! Is there any chance of a YouTube video coming out?

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: November 29, 2016 01:57PM

If you are addicted to King's Hawaiian Rolls, does it make going cold turkey any easier? I would think if you had some mayo and cranberry sauce, it would :)

Posted by: LifeFromANewView ( )
Date: November 29, 2016 05:55PM

I grabbed Way more than my fair share on thanksgiving but there were normal rolls there too. My cousins didn't do crap to prepare for the holidays they could eat the stale ones.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: November 30, 2016 12:59AM

Oh ya. Discovered them a couple of years ago.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.