Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: November 27, 2016 08:45PM

One of his daughters is engaged to a Catholic convert to the Mormon faith, who's a returned missionary.

Cody is asking him to make sure they raise their children pro-polygamy so he and his plural wives won't be estranged from their future grandchildren.

Then he's asking the young man how soon they'd like to get married? He wanted to in 2-3 months. Cody is going ballistic. That's not enough time to get to know his future bride. He wants them to have a long engagement so they can be sure they're right for each other.

Next he asks the young man not to have sexual relations with Cody's daughter before they are married. Here's a guy (Cody,) who's married to several women of his choosing and his timing. And yet he's trying to dictate the terms and conditions of how his daughter gets married. They are planning a temple wedding - not something Cody can aspire to as a polygamist.

Arrghh ... didn't Cody just divorce or split from one of those plural wives? He's such a fricking hypocrite to be giving anyone marital advice and dictating how, where, and when they'll do it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: looking in ( )
Date: November 27, 2016 09:01PM

While I agree that Kody is not an example of a model husband - to one wife, let alone four - I'm kind of with him on this. The daughter in question, Mykelti, is quite young, and seems to me to be fairly immature. And she's only known the young man for 6 months. Kody seemed to think that Mykelti has been unsettled and impulsive since she finished high school, and that this is another symptom of that.

I don't see what the appeal is of Kody to his four wives, and I think he's not a good husband to any of them. But in this instance, I think his "dad instincts" are right.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2016 09:04PM by looking in.

Date: November 27, 2016 09:54PM

He actually gave his blessing to their engagement. He's uncomfortable with the timing because it conflicts with another daughter who's the same age who'll be getting married in June (two months prior to Mykelti's desired date.)

Kody and his sister wives seem very self-centered as to why it conflicts with *their* lives, instead of focusing on their daughter's happiness.

Five months is long enough to know if two people are in love or not. Heck, people get married on lots less notice than five months. By the time their desired wedding date rolls around it will have been ten months, practically a year. That isn't unreasonable if they're sure they're in love.

That's as personal a decision to them as Kody's decision to wed his several wives - as he said he has 80 years of marital experience between all four of them. He sounds like an entitled selfish SOB, and his wives are just focused on their own cloistered world. Their daughter is only going to resent their interference in her life. All she wanted was their blessing. Instead she got an earful of why it isn't the right time for them, not for her.

I might freak out if it were my 19 year old daughter too. But when they're marrying another 19 year old in June, but not her, because the timing is *too close,* and she just isn't as "mature" as the other one, it begs the question as to their own maturity. They all seem selfish and self-centered to me.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: November 27, 2016 09:58PM

I think Cody is a bit of a narcissist. I've watched the shows, and he always gets what he wants.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 27, 2016 10:03PM

Well, of all of them, he's the only husband!!

Also, what would be the point of watching a "reality" show where the 'cast' behaved admirably?

Anybody else remember Rob & Amber, and how they lost the first Amazing Race?

Date: November 27, 2016 10:07PM

What he wants, and *who* he wants.

His sister wives enable him to keep doing what he does so well.

Posted by: furtherfrom ( )
Date: November 27, 2016 10:15PM

Cody is an idiot... he thought hormones pass through kissing and then the Mormon church telling his children that they can't join the Church because their parents are practicing pligs. I smell a lawsuit. Real cute when the Mormons preach that we shouldn't 'suffer the sins of our Fathers'. Laughing stock.... Just because your parents are pligs doesn't have anything to do with you! numb skulls.. Dark Age church.
Does Cody think he owns his daughters.. that their significant others need to ask for his permission.. it's just a courtesy thing, Cody!-Like-Hey, I want to marry your daughter and I hope you approve. I am only 20 or so mins. into the episode. Who cares what your parents think.. Do what you want. Fine to give their advice, but in the end- Do what you want! They either support you or not. Sister Wives is out of control and full of not too bright people.

Date: November 28, 2016 09:21PM

They should be happy they have one more to marry off, and to a young Mormon lad who's a RM. Their daughter met him while in school in Utah. If the kid isn't a plig, at the least he shares their same religious values.

... Or perhaps they needed to add another dimension to their Sister Wives reality show? This daughter's engagement is going to be a part of this season's lineup.

That, and Kody's split with one of his wives as they work through their differences to either make up or break up.

Posted by: wives ( )
Date: November 28, 2016 07:44PM

Cody giving marital advice? Hahahahahaahaahaaa

Date: November 28, 2016 09:17PM

Right?! If anyone needs marital advice, it is him!

:)

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: November 28, 2016 09:30PM

And how long does he secretly date a prospective bride before telling his wives?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 28, 2016 09:36PM

The etiquette that guides a polygamous husband courting 'strange stuff' is pretty simple: "How much will they let me get away with?"

Posted by: Jimbo ( )
Date: November 30, 2016 10:42PM

i would like to know who here has a problem with polygamy ? The type of polygamy where all involved are fully consenting adults not sick illegal WArren Jeffs crazies but adults who want to live in that type of marital arrangement? I have no problem at all with adults living and associating with whomever they want to or having any type of sexual relationship as long as everyone involved is fully consenting to the situation.I think it's basically called freedom of association and it's not my business or the governments business what consenting adult do.

Posted by: Loyalexmo ( )
Date: November 29, 2016 08:17AM

Actually, the family has a major issue with the one marrying a Mormon. Two of their girls have tried to join the LDS church and been rejected due to their parents' polygamy. One now married a monogamous nevermo, one is marrying a monogamous Mormon but is not LDS herself. The family is actually more wary of Mormons than of the general population. Very weird.

And yeah, Kody (you forgot to spell it in the idiotic but accurate way) is a complete trash bag.

And no, he isn't divorced. He divorced the first wife legally to marry the youngest, but he is still "married" (eyeroll) to all 4 wives.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2016 08:19AM by woodsmoke.

Posted by: Anonomo ( )
Date: November 29, 2016 09:26AM

"The family is actually more wary of Mormons than of the general population. Very weird."

It kind of makes sense to me, though. These FLDS-types and LDS have history of animosity. The LDS church keeps polygamy illegal in Utah where the Browns want to live openly. The general population mostly just doesn't give a rat's tush about Mormons.

That youngest wife. Ugh. She's the favorite, and she milks it. I can't imagine how the first wife deals with it.

Date: November 29, 2016 10:11AM

Considering the relationship woes and problems mature monogamous couples deal with, I cannot for the life of me understand what these women see in this one guy - do they love the sex or the no frills pseudo marriages they conscripted for?

As far as supporting all his wives and kids, the show compensates him for a livelihood. They each seem to have very nice homes (are they paid for by the reality show, I wonder?)

While have yet to see Kody going to work for a living to support four households.

To me he seems like a gigantic cockroach, sucking the life out of those women, while their children are treated as appendages. Or a pimp if you will. He milks the reality show for all its worth. When that series ends, what ever will he do then to earn a livelihood to sustain their lifestyle?

Posted by: Jimbo ( )
Date: November 30, 2016 10:52PM

How is it your business or my business what these adults choose to do ? Is Kody a jerk? Ya probably .Are some monogamous husbaands jerks? Certainly .Everyone in that marital relationship is an adult and made a consenting choice to live that way. I have to work on my own marriage and care not what other consenting adults do with theirs

Date: December 01, 2016 03:42AM

A key diff between his marriages to four women and yours to one, is he made the choice to air his on a reality tv show for all the world to see every shade of their dysfunction.

He's opted in, in other words, to put his controversial lifestyle under a magnifying glass.

Sure, his 'sister wives' chose that discord and took it on like he did, out of their own free will. But not their children, who must live with their parents numbskullery every day of their lives, with little say in the bad choices their parents have put on them.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: November 29, 2016 10:44AM

Next up: Advice on critical thinking from Jeffrey R. Holland.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: November 29, 2016 02:20PM

On the one hand, it's edited and manipulated "reality" TV.

On the other hand, it's a window on what life would have been like with JS, BY, and whole lot of other LDS "pioneers".

Posted by: John Mc ( )
Date: November 29, 2016 02:44PM

I often wondered if the catfish thing was a double bluff, where they knew the attempt but instead of shutting it down they made it into an on running drama to boost numbers.

And the nice Mormon kid telling Kody he can get a loan for the wedding. WTF. He will make a great bishop or SP some day.

Can someone explain why pilig's adult kids cannot join the LDS church if he/she so wish to?

Posted by: Loyalexmo ( )
Date: November 29, 2016 09:12PM

Because they are still in contact with their parents and will not publicly denounce their parents' marriage. The church doesn't want the association.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.