Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anon99 ( )
Date: November 29, 2016 12:22AM

Is it possible for a woman to have a temple wedding if she got pregnant and had a child out of wedlock to one guy, not marry him, and then marry someone else a few years later? How is that virginal and pure? Or worthy for that matter?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: November 29, 2016 12:29AM

It is possible. Most bishops, in my experience, will recognize sincere efforts to straighten out one's life.

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: November 30, 2016 10:47AM

Women who have a child and live with a man they are not married to do not necessarily have to straighten out. A bishop might see her as sinful and unworthy, but the rest of us don't need to.

Posted by: Jdawg ( )
Date: November 29, 2016 01:25AM

Yes. Virginity isn't a requirement. You just can't be "living in sin".

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: November 29, 2016 01:39AM

Anon99 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is it possible for a woman to have a temple
> wedding if she got pregnant and had a child out of
> wedlock to one guy, not marry him, and then marry
> someone else a few years later? How is that
> virginal and pure? Or worthy for that matter?

Is it possible for one man to have a temple wedding if he got a woman pregnant and the child was born out of wedlock, then married someone else a few years later. Is that virginal or pure? Or worthy for that matter?

I'm not being argumentative so much as putting the shoe on the other foot. Too much emphasis is placed on a female's virginity as opposed to that of a male in my opinion.

I think it can be OK if a person repents and sincerely tries to do better.

Posted by: runrunrun ( )
Date: November 29, 2016 02:06AM

why does any of this matter? Non temple family members can't attend..........

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 29, 2016 05:47AM

Yes, it is possible. She would have to go through a lengthy repentance period first, however.

The church likely would have put enormous pressure on her to give up her baby as an unmarried woman, although in recent years we've heard of some unmarried Mormon women keeping their babies.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2016 05:49AM by summer.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: November 29, 2016 07:24AM

I've seen it happen a couple of times. Mormons like to ooh and ah over these kinds of weddings, particularly if it involves sealing the "illegitimate" (don't you hate that word?) child to new daddy over the altar. Temple matrons have to wipe their eyes. Anyway, I've attended a couple of these myself.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2016 07:24AM by cludgie.

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: November 29, 2016 05:25PM

Mormonism wants it's virgins (members) to marry it, not each other.

Posted by: Now a Gentile ( )
Date: November 30, 2016 10:17AM

I have a relative that "succumbed to the advances" of her boyfriend and wound up pregnant. She was quickly shipped out-of-state so that bf couldn't have anything to do with her (and her parents' and her church's) choice to give the baby up for adoption. Sound familiar?

Years later she was married in a very beautiful civil ceremony where her dad was able to walk her down the aisle. Afterward there was lots of food, no alcohol of course, and dancing. A year later her and hubby were sealed in the temple and this is the day the celebrate their anniversary. After all, it is much more important of a day then their wedding anniversary.

Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: November 30, 2016 10:27AM

That's pretty much how it worked for my wife with her with her previous marriage. Her out of wedlock son was sealed to her husband, though he wasn't the father.

Posted by: Trails end ( )
Date: November 30, 2016 02:30PM

Born again virgins is a thing..it takes a year the bishop said...least thats what i heard...to me its all guilt ridden horse shit...shit happens...kids happen...why and how could there be anything wrong or sinful in a new baby...regardless of which old fosdick said....GO FOR It...or no fosdick at all....id still like to know what lines gawd pulled on little mary to get her to raise jebbus...ive always admired the native philosophy...children are celebrated regardless of parochial approval...and many a grama has raised a child of a child...its just life and not one gramma has ever not enjoyed that little ray of sunshine that ive ever heard of...its said crazy horse viewed every mother in the camp as his own...white guys sure screwed up that great idea

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.