Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: notrab ( )
Date: November 29, 2016 01:23AM

Joseph and his Brother Husbands of Polyandry

http://i.imgur.com/r3oxIGT.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: November 29, 2016 05:14PM

WICKEDNESS never was happiness.

Joseph Smith, Jr. was lying about this too, like everything else!

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: November 30, 2016 06:51AM

polyandry is a messy situation, I see some who are between marriages and have relationships with both spouses. Then there are also workplace spouses (necessary at times to keep all the weirds away). But the strangest of all is the same sex sealings where there are adopted fathers. Personally I become Brigham Young's property/posterity is this arrangement?

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: November 30, 2016 04:50AM

"same sex sealings where there are adopted fathers"

It all sounds like one big power grab to me. You bind people to you to get hold of their wealth and/or loyalty, not only of the one sealed to you, but their relatives.

What did Emma have to offer? I think he loved her, but she had no wealth or status. It appears that her love was not enough. Even though none of the marriages or sealings were legally binding in any way, THEY considered them to be binding.

All of those sealings gave him something - more money, more control, more loyalty. Loyalty was probably a BIG thing. From things he wrote, it appears that for quite some time he was constantly afraid of being killed. So being surrounded by loyal "family members" would be very important, I'd think.

I think an interesting study, though perhaps an impossible one, would be to find out what each person sealed to him had to offer. Money. Status. Loyalty. Protection. Sex.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2016 04:52AM by seekyr.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.