Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Mormon Observer ( )
Date: May 14, 2011 04:46PM

When you saw the look new women friends in the ward had when they saw you in your Bakers Hat??

It was always a bit difficult to smile normally at the BP and EQ and SS teacher and HT after a session and I'd meet up with them in the Celestial Room. I mean, I'm in a dress and green apron and weird veil, but to see the guys I work with at church in a dress, apron and goofy hat with the 'sash' tied under the right ear???

I now am in touch with my thoughts (de programed from the shelf from where I put the reaction during my TBM days) it always was something I was preparing myself for; not to laugh or otherwise even think of laughing when seeing my serious friends in such a get up!

So did you guys ever wince too?
What about the first time your wife-to-be saw you in your garb???

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rmw ( )
Date: May 14, 2011 05:00PM

Of course! So many things about the temple made me want to burst out laughing, but I had to keep reminding myself to be mature and that it was holy. Eventually I got used to it. The part that got me the most is when Satan himself looks directly in to the camera and gives his stern warning to the audience.

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: May 14, 2011 08:00PM

That always cracks me up.

Another one is where Heavenly Father says, "Go to, dress this garden . . ." and this pops into my mind:

http://www.garfield.com/comics/vault.html?yr=1987&addr=870519

Posted by: TheExorcist ( )
Date: May 14, 2011 08:37PM

imalive Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That always cracks me up.
>
> Another one is where Heavenly Father says, "Go to,
> dress this garden . . ." and this pops into my
> mind:
>
> http://www.garfield.com/comics/vault.html?yr=1987&;
> addr=870519

The "dress this garden" thing didn't make sense to me because supposedly they didn't have to work in the Garden. Gardening is HARD work!

Date: May 15, 2011 01:35PM

Yes I've done gardening myself. I was just saying what came into my mind when God said to DRESS the garden.

But you're right. Why say that when it doesn't need tending?

Date: May 15, 2011 01:36PM

That Garfield strip is from May 19, 1987. :-)

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: May 15, 2011 02:59PM

Yeah, you wince, then you try not to laugh. The worst was seeing my sophisticated, distinguished professor father in the baker's hat.

During the last temple wedding ceremony I ever attended, my niece and groom kept getting the giggles--I mean, the shaking, uncontrollable, tears-down-the-face giggle-fits!

OMG! The bride is tiny, and the matrons didn't like her wedding dress, so they made her wear a dickey stuffed into the front of her dress, and long sleeves that came down over her hands. I overheard the bride and groom in the hallway, making a pact that they could not make eye contact during the ceremony--because they knew they would burst out laughing! The officiator's little speech was so pious and trite, that the bride and groom smirked a few times. When they knelt at the altar, she knelt on her veil, which pulled the hat thing down over her face, landing around her neck. It took forever for her to uncover her hands from the sleeves, and get the hat and bow untangled from the dickey around her neck, and slide it back over her face and onto her head. When her groom saw this happen, he just lost it, which made her laugh, too. After they recovered their composure, the officiator told them to hold hands in the patriarchal grip, and they had to wrestle with her sleeve again, to find her hand and wrist. The officiator asked them to look each other in the eye, and they covered their giggles by smiling and having possible tears of joy.

I was smothering my spasms behind a handkerchief, trying to breathe normally, trying to think of something sad, No one said a word about the ceremony, afterwards. I was glad to leave the temple for the last time, on a happy note.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: May 14, 2011 05:02PM

I think that's what it's called. It's where there's an impression from the elastic in the round hat that goes across your forehead. "I see you've been to the temple." "Yes... yes, I have... as a matter of fact."

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: May 14, 2011 06:52PM

It was a true buzz kill. If I ever started feeling attracted to any guy in the ward that wasn't my husband, I just pictured that guy in his Baker's Hat and apron and that was that. It was so ridiculous, even as a TBM I felt that took me down to earth where other Mormon men were concerned.

Weirdly, however, I didn't think my DH looked bad in them. I had some twisted, romantic, he-belongs-to-me-forever rose-colored glasses on and thought he looked good. But only my DH. Other guys just looked foolish.

Posted by: Simone Stigmata ( )
Date: May 14, 2011 08:53PM

I especially found the one piece jumpsuit look amazingly ridiculous. DW really found that to be gross. It highlighted the pot belly in about every guy who chose to go with that fashion statement.

Yeah I winced at the whole baker's hat, apron, robe look like I imagine everyone else did. It cracked me up to see some solemn high-powered businessman, attorney or doctor in the pillsbury doughboy outfit. I took some kind of sick delight in that.

Posted by: elderborracho ( )
Date: May 14, 2011 11:29PM

Actually, I went through the temple on my own because my wife is a "nevermo." I remember sitting in the room waiting for the video to start and seeing this young girl across the isle. I remember she was quite attractive and her mascara was applied as though she was Cleopatra! Even though she was in her temple garb she looked hot! To this day I'm not sure who she was. For a time, I thought she was satan herself because she was seriously distracting my attention!

Posted by: Moroni Marten ( )
Date: May 14, 2011 11:48PM

The first thing that got me was when I was practically naked and had this old man rub his hand under my garment right above my groin to "wash" and anoint me. WTF

Another thing that I hated was when I made my hand into a make-shift knife and had to slit my throat from ear to ear and then did the same to my belly to disembowel me. I looked around and everyone was doing this as if were "normal." Freaked me out.

The chanting and lowering and raising my arms was also a bit weird.

Compared to that crap, the dress and baker's cap was relatively mild.

Posted by: big sis ( )
Date: May 15, 2011 01:33AM

As a teenager, I got special permission to attend the sealing of my adopted brother to our parents. I hadn't received any type of prep, and when my parents walked in wearing that shit it took every ounce of self control not to fall out of my chair laughing. My dad seemed a little embarrassed for me to see him like that, too. I thought watching my brother get sealed would be an uber spiritual experience, but it was just awkward. Watching the little tyke bang the judge's gavel at his legal adoption was way more satisfying and emotional than that temple ceremony.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: May 15, 2011 03:37PM

I was about ten years old, and I waited in the temple nursery with my sister and brother for my parents to come out. The nursery ladies told us that it was very important not to laugh when we see the very sacred outfits they would be wearing. I guess it was necessary to prepare people for their natural reaction.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.