Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Thomas $. Monson ( )
Date: December 26, 2016 05:35AM

The Italian Data Protection Authority approved an application from an Italian citizen seeking to prevent the Italian LDS Church from performing rituals "for the dead" when the LDS Church does not show a declaration written by the deceased stating that he/she wanted to receive a baptism, an endowment or a sealing in a Mormon temple on Italian soil. The deceased does not necessarily have to be a relative of the applicant.

The court ruling is final because the LDS Church did non lodge an appeal. The LDS Church did not have to pay a fine because the personal data of the deceased were completely removed from the LDS genealogy records during the trial by judicial order, but it can be assumed that the same kind of written declaration/authorization will be needed for any ritual (hypothetically) performed in Rome, Italy in the future.

Court ruling (in Italian): http://www.garanteprivacy.it/web/guest/home/docweb/-/docweb-display/docweb/4362736

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: December 26, 2016 03:01PM

How much do you want to bet that the temple work for those people has already been redone in a temple in Utah?

Date: December 26, 2016 08:24PM

Unfortunately that was understood.
However, the news is interesting anyway…

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: December 26, 2016 03:15PM

No dead dunking = less reason to go to the temple = fewer temple recommends = fewer reasons to pay tithe = less income for TSCC.

I could care less about dead dunks but the lowered revenue for SLC brings a warm feeling to my heart.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: December 26, 2016 03:24PM

would this apply to Italian citizens only? or what about dead folk's names from other countries?

If that's the case, they might as well start disassembling that temple in rome right now.

Posted by: Finance Clerk ( )
Date: December 26, 2016 06:01PM

They won't close it. It's too much of a big deal being in the capital of the Roman Catholic, and even some believe Christian, church. The PR of having it there is a big feather in their cap. They will likely get more attendees coming there as tourists then locals anyway.

Date: December 26, 2016 08:35PM

Levi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> would this apply to Italian citizens only? or
> what about dead folk's names from other countries?
>
>
> If that's the case, they might as well start
> disassembling that temple in rome right now.

It applies to Italian territory and Italian (living or dead) citizens only because this is the jurisdiction of the Italian Data Protection Authority.

Other EU countries have their own data protection authorities.

Posted by: Pariah ( )
Date: December 26, 2016 03:33PM

Good for them!

This should set a precedent for other countries!

I would like to see people making these applications all over the world--with lots of publicity on the subject.

I think 99% of the human population has no idea of the Mormon death rituals that are being performed upon their beloved deceased family members. If everyone knew--wouldn't they rise up in group outrage?

Even though it is false and meaningless, the Mormons are sullying the names of innocent dead people, who can't speak out or fight back.

Am I right? Is the only reason TSCC is getting away with this heresy is that it has been going on IN SECRET? Behind temple walls, locked doors, in windowless, outrageous, eyesore, stone fortresses, closed to the public.

We can't stop it for our deceased loved ones, or for ourselves, or for our children. How do they get away with this?

Posted by: Pariah ( )
Date: December 26, 2016 03:36PM

Yes, the Mormon cult is using our dead loved ones, to make MONEY!

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: December 26, 2016 03:41PM

I hope mormons feel a bit sheepish about this slight humiliation to their pride.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: December 26, 2016 05:55PM

MORmONS are WAY TOO STUPID to feel embarrassment, which explains a lot of why they are able to persist in being MORmONS. Normal well adjusted people have NO use for a social club that demands 10% of their gross income in exchange for family togetherness based on molestation, stupid unmentionable secret handshakes and gory death threats and really stupid stories about Gold tablets that tell of Jesus coming to America.

Posted by: ericka ( )
Date: December 26, 2016 03:49PM

I guess they'll be using this building as a wedding chapel. No baptisms now work for the dead, all their left with is having weddings that nobody can go to.

http://www.ldschurchtemples.com/rome/construction/

Posted by: logged out for xmas ( )
Date: December 26, 2016 04:18PM

Next time there's an earthquake in Italy, TBMs will be nodding smugly at each other and yammering about "God's wrath" on an uncooperative nation. Take that, Italy, for persecuting the saints!

That is, if TBMs are even aware of the ruling. Many of them don't know about events unless they're printed in the Desperate News.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: December 26, 2016 05:31PM

It could set a precedent among European states.

Italian baptisms have been done for as long as LDS have been doing them, so it's doubtful it will be retroactive - unless the court orders all that came before be nullified.

Interesting case precedent setting law.

I don't see why that same rationale cannot be applied in an American court - because individual rights should trump the church right to baptize the dead against their wishes. That very concept violates freedom of religion for the living and deceased.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/26/2016 05:32PM by Amyjo.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 26, 2016 05:38PM

Excellent news! I would like to see this become more widespread.

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: December 26, 2016 06:03PM

I'm not going to let them - or anyone lids (life inside dead sainthood) - know I've died, when it finally happens, so this won't be a possibility. I don't want to be dunked when dead - or be born again - lds, so I'll join at around 95, to keep that from happening. I love a great plan!

[Edit-spellfu__ingcheckthis]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/26/2016 06:04PM by readwrite.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: December 26, 2016 06:56PM

[doc. web n. 4362736]

"Decision of 16 July 2015

"register of measures
n. 430 OF 16 JULY 2015

"THE GUARANTOR FOR THE PROTECTION OF PERSONAL DATA

"In the meeting today, in the presence of dr. Antonello Soro, president, dr.ssa Augusta Iannini, vice president of prof.ssa Licia Califano and dr.ssa Giovanna Bianchi Clerici, components and Dr Giuseppe Busia, secretary general;

"HAVING REGARD to the appeal submitted to the Authority on 7 April 2015 in respect of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints with whom XY, not doing more part of this organization, reiterated the instances already advanced within the meaning of art. 7 d.lgs. n. 196 of 30 June 2003 - the Code in matter of protection of personal data (hereinafter the "Code"), opposing to the further processing of data concerning him which it has requested the deletion;

"HAVING REGARD to the further acts of the office and, in particular, the note of 13 April 2015 with which this authority within the meaning of art. 149 SUBPARAGRAPH 1 of the Code, has invited the resistant part to provide feedback to the requests of the person concerned as well as the note of 5 June 2015 with which it has been placed, within the meaning of art. 149 SUBPARAGRAPH 7 the extension of the deadline for the decision on the appeal;

"HAVING REGARD to the note of 20 April 2015 with which the defendant has claimed to have recorded in their records the willingness of the applicant not to be more state;

"HAVING REGARD to the minutes of the hearing of 24 April 2015 held at the offices of the Guarantor in the course of which the applicant in represent that on the Internet site of the Church resistant lds.org" "are still detained data relating to your account (as from screen filed in place of hearing), reiterated the request to be deleted from any archive by opposing every type of communication coming from the same;

"HAVING REGARD to the note of 15 May 2015 with which the respondent Reiterated not to be "an organization of a commercial character" and never to have contacted the applicant for commercial purposes; furthermore, the same argued that all can register to the site "lds.org" by means of an own account "regardless of the membership of the Church" and that registration may be automatically canceled by the user himself; finally, the respondent has ensured that none of the governing bodies or institutions of the Church herself will come into contact with the applicant;

"HAVING REGARD to the notes of 19 and 26 May 2015 with which the applicant has argued that there is no automatic cancellation of registration at the site of resistant and reiterated that continues to receive from the latter different newsletter "having evident reasons of Marketing";

"HAVING REGARD to the note of 12 June 2015 in which the defendant has stated that "following its request, we provided directly to the closure of his lds account on 11 June 2015";

"HAVING REGARD to the notes of 13 and 25 June 2015 with which the applicant reiterated that you have again received email from "ldschurch.org" therefore putting in doubt the cancellation of data concerning him, confirmed instead from resistant;

"HAVING REGARD to the note of 7 July 2015 with which the resistant part again reiterated that it has been established that in their computer systems are no longer present information relating to the applicant at which email address would no longer be sent any e-mail; Detected that the defendant has argued that the e-mail received by the applicant could, in its opinion, come from independent sites from the official one of your organization created independently by some members to which the applicant could have writing; the respondent, in order to carry out additional verifications, has therefore invited the applicant to provide it with a copy of the e-mails received that are not deposited in Acts;

"HAVING REGARD to the note of 8 July 2015 with which the resistant part, after having received from the applicant a copy of one of the e-mail subject of dispute has found that such e-mail come from a platform called LDS.job.org that "allows the user to receive notifications for positions within the organization"; detected that the respondent, after the necessary verifications, has been able to establish that, "following a communication problem informatica between LDS.job.org and LDS account, the instrument LDS.job.org was not deleted automatically together with the LDS account", fault that will be promptly settled; in any case, the respondent has confirmed that "currently also the account of the applicant on LDS.job.org (for which the same had in his time loaned adjust consent) was closed to equal Its LDS account, closed above";

"felt compelled to declare, pursuant to art. 149 SUBPARAGRAPH 2 of the Code, no need to adjudicate on the appeal, having the holder of the treatment provided an adequate response to the concerned although only after the presentation of the application;

"view the documentation in Acts;

"HAVING REGARD TO ARTICLES 145 ff. of the Code;

"HAVING REGARD to the comments of the Office made by the secretary-general within the meaning of art. 15 of regulation of the Guarantor n. 1/2000;

"rapporteur Dott.ssa Giovanna Bianchi Clerici;

"ALL THIS STATED THE GARANTE:

"declares no need to adjudicate on the appeal.

"Within the meaning of Articles 152 of the Code and 10 d.lgs. n. 150 2011, against this measure may be subject to opposition to the judicial authorities by application lodged at the court of the place where he has his residence, the holder of the treatment of the data, within thirty days from the date of communication of the measure itself, or sixty days if the applicant resides abroad.

"Rome, 16 July 2015"
_____

(Note: The maximum allowable length of the translatable text from this particular translation website was reached before the entire text could be converted to English on the first go-around. So I had it translated via that same site by splitting the text into two portions, then having each section translated separately in two different submissions, then putting both texts together to make it a single text. For a basic web translation, you can enter the text you wish to be converted from Italian to English here: https://www.freetranslation.com/en/translate-english-italian)

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 12/26/2016 07:56PM by steve benson.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 27, 2016 12:01AM

Europe outshines us in many ways.

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: December 27, 2016 12:13AM

I'm not going to let them - or anyone lids (life inside dead sainthood) - know I've died, when it finally happens, so this won't be a possibility. I don't want to be dunked when dead - or be born again - lds, so I'll consider joining around 95, to keep that from happening. I love a great plan!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.