Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Queen of Denial ( )
Date: May 16, 2011 01:00PM

Therefore I would that ye should be perfect even as I, or your Father who is in heaven is perfect. - 3 Nephi 12:28

PERFECT
adjective |ˈpərfikt|
1 - having all the required or desirable elements, qualities, or characteristics; as good as it is possible to be

Who decides what these elements, qualities and characteristics are?

As a TBM, the oppressive journey to perfection was depressing. Looking back, I never knew exactly what I was striving for. I had clues, but the doctrine and counsel of leaders and prophets was in constant contradiction. I was wandering uphill, toward an ideal shrouded in a haze which kept floating to neighboring summits with the slightest breeze.

Maybe today, I, the Queen of Denial, have decided what elements constitute perfection.

Just as the scar under my chin adds character to my face, so it is with my personality "flaws." I am fond of my scar and the experience that caused it.

Perfection, as with beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.

Today, I am perfect.

And, since I've set my own parameters for perfection, I deem you perfect also.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: May 16, 2011 01:01PM

It's a clawfoot bathtub filled to the brim with steaming hot, lavender scented water, an ice cold mug of water and a nice book.

mmmmm....

Oh, and I agree that you are also perfect. Carry on! ;)

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: May 16, 2011 01:33PM

You stole my snarky reply!

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: May 16, 2011 01:35PM

And easy to please. :D

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: May 16, 2011 04:21PM

"And easy to please. :D"

That is one of my favorite qualities in a woman :)

Posted by: Lost Mystic ( )
Date: May 16, 2011 01:07PM

I always caught hell while I was in the church for commenting that everything is perfect. Sin is perfect. Our struggle is perfect...yada yada

We are what we are....everything. All things shining....

Posted by: Queen of Denial ( )
Date: May 16, 2011 05:45PM

I wish I would have realized what you did, as a TBM. It would have saved a lot of anguish...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2011 05:46PM by Queen of Denial.

Posted by: Lost Mystic ( )
Date: May 16, 2011 07:53PM

Thanks queen :)

I still had/have anguish...I just believe that it is perfect as well...lol

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: May 16, 2011 03:38PM

This is a theolgical issue that separates Mormons from orthodox christianity. Mormons work toward perfection as an obtainable goal. Christianity generally teaches that perfection (righteousness) is imputed to the believer only through righteousness "borrowed" from Christ through his atonement on the cross. One an earned goal, the other given through grace.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: May 16, 2011 05:31PM

"Perfection" is a moving, ever-expanding target. It's about keeping the followers following, of never letting them think they're righteous enough to not need the leaders telling them what to do.

Posted by: rogertheshrubber ( )
Date: May 16, 2011 05:36PM

Even if a mormon is able to refrain from all outward disobedience, they will probably still be terrified that their mind even continues to entertain thoughts, "what if the bishop is wrong? Oh, no! I sinned in my heart again! No sacrament for me!"

Damn cult.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: May 16, 2011 07:05PM

...was no matter how righteous I tried to be, I could never get to magic to work. No real testimony, no peace of mind, no happiness. Then I realized there was no magic. It was all a con game.

Posted by: Becca ( )
Date: May 17, 2011 06:01AM

Same here...

Posted by: Pil-Latté ( )
Date: May 16, 2011 05:56PM

Its nice to let go of what is deemed "perfect" by an organization. It's sad that Mormonism tries to fit everyone in the same box, and if you don't fit in that box you are not perfect= not worthy = you need to try harder= try to fit into the box again.

I am glad to rid myself of the box. I am perfect without it. :)

Posted by: yours_truly ( )
Date: May 16, 2011 06:15PM

Perfection is superficial, magic deception, giving as much reward (respect, attention, etc.) for as little effort as possible. Therefore, science is not perfect, but the child may be for the adult, and the adult is for the child.

Posted by: AIC ( )
Date: May 17, 2011 04:21AM

That word doesn't even mean "perfect"

I would have figured a prophet being inspired would have been told by God what it meant in ENGLISH!

It means to be whole...nothing missing, nothing wanted, nothing broken because we trust in CHRIST. Arrrrgh!

Perfection in the sense of Mormonism is drive yourself nuts doing dead works no pun intended.

Be ye perfect is to be chilaxed in Christ, not running around trying to keep commandments that you have no understanding of...I could go on,

It means keep it real!

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: May 17, 2011 07:16AM

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: May 17, 2011 07:17AM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.