Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Dan ( )
Date: May 17, 2011 12:03PM

I don't know how intense his beliefs in Mormonism were, but Harmon Killebrew, the famous baseball player died of cancer today. He was known as a super nice guy, RIP Killebrew!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: May 17, 2011 12:21PM

One of the most beautiful things I've ever seen in professional sports was Steve Young's 65 yard touchdown run against Minnesota on MNF. Mormon or not, that was awesome!

I don't care about any athlete's social, political or religious views. Just shut-up and play. After all, isn't that what we pay them to do?

RIP, Kill-A-Brew.

Timothy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2011 01:15PM by Timothy.

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: May 17, 2011 12:23PM

I didn't know he was Mormon. Doesn't matter to me.

Posted by: Rod ( )
Date: May 17, 2011 12:33PM

..that must have been 30 years ago. I remember his talk (speech), which was really interesting. The man had the biggest forearms I have ever seen in my life, next to pop-eye, which probably explains, in part, his home run ability. RIP Harmon.

Posted by: m ( )
Date: May 17, 2011 12:49PM

Didn't Paul Dunn play with him in the minors?

I know there is a Paul Dunn Connection somewhere.

Posted by: Rod ( )
Date: May 17, 2011 12:50PM

..I believe there was some sort of connection.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: May 17, 2011 12:58PM

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 17, 2011 01:05PM

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: May 17, 2011 01:17PM

...growing up far from Zion, used to say, "This is going to be a Killebrew ball!" when he believed he was going to cream the next pitch for a homer. I didn't know who Killebrew was, other than a baseball player, and I had no idea he was LDS until decades later.

Posted by: Boilermaker ( )
Date: May 17, 2011 01:23PM

He converted to Mormonism. I have read that he was inactive though it really doesn't matter. He seemed to be a pretty good guy from all accounts.

Posted by: Steve ( )
Date: May 17, 2011 01:58PM

and married a mormon woman. He was active, but I do not think he was ever a believer. I met him once at when I was about 11 or 12 he came to our ward for church with a friend of the family (also a ballplayer) who was living with us while trying to make a comeback with the Royals. I was introduced as - "This is (insert real name here), he hit a double and a triple yesterday." Needless to say, my favourite introduction of my life lol. He was very nice and chatted with me for a minute or two.

My recollection is that when Harmon and his wife got divorced he remarried a non-mormon and basically stopped being mormon, didn't make a big deal about it, just stopped since he only joined for his (first) wife. I think his kids are still mormons though.

Posted by: AnonyMs ( )
Date: May 17, 2011 02:19PM

I hadn't heard the mormo connection.

He had esophageal cancer.........battled it then said he didn't want to keep treating it and went into hospice.

DAMN DAMN esophageal cancer........it's horrible.

My DH died from it too......it's hard to diagnose early.

Usually it's an acid reflux problem that creates the tissues that create cancer.
Smoking and drinking can contribute to it too....as with Christopher Hitchens.

Harmon was 74.

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: May 17, 2011 02:32PM

SAW HIM PLAY at the Met!! and that aint the Metrodome either! :)
my Granpa and Ma were big fans!! R.I.P. Harmon!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2011 02:32PM by bignevermo.

Posted by: mrtranquility ( )
Date: May 17, 2011 03:24PM

He was in a ward that was in our same building.

I also heard he joined Team Moron for love. I think he started an affair with his secretary and later married her - or something like that. At least he wasn't hitting on women in the bar restrooms like Kirby Puckett ;-)

A fellow missionary on my mission dated one of his daughters.

Super nice guy - never heard a negative story about fans that encountered him.

Posted by: Richard the Bad ( )
Date: May 17, 2011 05:08PM

We would make regular pilgrimages when I was a kid from Washington State to visit family in Utah. I remember there being a big sign outside of Payette, Id., that said "Home of Harmon Killebrew".

I asked my folks who he was and they just said "famous ball player". What an understatement.

Posted by: Ashleyah T. ( )
Date: May 23, 2011 05:58AM

Sad to hear! Previous Minnesota Twins All-Star Harmon Killebrew has succumbed to throat cancer. The powerfully built home run hitter who pelted Major League bleachers with hundreds of souvenirs was 74 years old. The ambassador for the game of baseball games ended his days peacefully while sleeping in his Scottsdale, Ariz., home. He was accompanied in his last moments by wife Nita and their children. The proof is here:Baseball great Harmon Killebrew, 74, has died, newstype.com

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.