Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Sperco ( )
Date: May 17, 2011 12:53PM

I live in Utah, but the morg doesn’t know where I am. They have been calling my family trying to locate me. Even my TBM family knows better than to give my information. So when church people come by they don’t know anything about me.

The missionaries have been visiting my next door neighbor lately. The husband is a nevermo and the wife is inactive. I see the wife’s parents come over on Sunday in their mormon garb to visit and they look as TBM as they come. If I was to guess, I would say that the missionaries have been sent over to reactivate and convert.

Yesterday I was doing some yard work with my wife outside. We were taking a little break and sitting on the porch while chatting. The missionaries saw us outside as they were leaving the neighbor’s house and came over to talk to us. The conversation went something like this:

Elder 1: “How are you?”

Me: “I’m alright” (in a voice that didn’t sound like I’m alright)

Elder 1: “You don’t look like you are very happy to see us” he then proceeds through the gate with his comp and closes it behind him.

Me: “I’m just not the religious type, and I’m not interested in your religion”

Elder 1: “Why not?”

Me: “I would never want to be a part of a religion that tells you what kind of underwear you have to wear. To me, that is just crazy”

At this point, elder 1 gets a face like he was sucking on a bitter lemon and wouldn’t meet my eyes. He would only stare at the ground

Elder 2: “Are you a member, or have you had an experience with the church?”

Me: “That’s really none of your business”

Elder 2: .... after a long pause...... “Well we are just in the area seeing if there is anything we can do to help you.” “Is there anything we can do for you?”

Me: “Yes there is something you can do, you can leave”

At this point Elder 1 butts in and starts talking to my wife.

Elder 1: Your husband says he’s not religious, but are you?

Wife: “No I’m not.”

Elder 1: “Where are you guys from?”

I would have continued telling them it was none of their business but at that point my 8 year old son opened the door and called me in the house. I left the Elders with my wife outside. They then quickly fled the yard so they wouldn’t be alone with my wife.

It was a fun exchange. I hope I have more like it in the future.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: May 17, 2011 12:56PM

Wow... it was pretty ballsy of them to just walk through the gate uninvited.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: May 17, 2011 01:28PM

They don't care how you are. They're just trying to be friendly to drag you into a conversation.

If they persist, say, "You're interrupting my thoughts and my private life. Please leave. Goodbye."

Date: May 17, 2011 01:52PM

Yeah, I know. I'm an RM. I know all about building relationships of trust to get people dunked.

That's why it was kind of fun.

Posted by: GW6EJ ( )
Date: May 17, 2011 05:12PM

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: May 17, 2011 02:14PM

Totally honest and upfront. Gotta wonder how much cog dis it causes to ignore that honesty and repay it with deception. RMs? Did you run into that sort of thing and did it ever kick up the cog dis?

Posted by: chulotc is snarky ( )
Date: May 17, 2011 02:25PM

The only challenging conversation I ever had during the entire afterlife insurance policy sales trip was with a very intelligent, happy atheist.

Luckily it was at the beginning of the trip.

I had learned in the MTC to build on common beliefs and construct straw-man arguments in order to "win" religious debates, then follow-up with manipulative testimony sharing.

But when I talked to this guy I had no common ground to start from, no straw-men arguments to construct, and when I tried to share my testimony he shot me down so fast my senior companion/trainer walked away with tears in his eyes.

I wish I could find that guy and shake his hand again.

Posted by: deb ( )
Date: May 17, 2011 02:22PM

always cordial, here. but in future on new venture i'll definitely KNOW if they are trying to recruit, i'll know to let them know right off the bat that I'm just not interested.

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: May 17, 2011 03:30PM

Sounds like he was hoping to divide and conquer.

CULT!

Posted by: Charlie ( )
Date: May 17, 2011 04:01PM

I just wish some would come by my door. I am gay and would love to see their reaction to being offered some aid and comfort from the enemy. I know, I am nothing but a slut.

Date: May 17, 2011 05:14PM

They aren't there to offer aid and comfort, they are there to achieve their baptism numbers.

As soon as they knew you were un-baptize-able they'd drop you like a hot potato.

But their reaction would be priceless all the same

Date: May 17, 2011 05:30PM

Ah!!! I didn't catch that. That would be priceless

Posted by: deb ( )
Date: May 17, 2011 05:23PM

also, i understand once you are dunked the love-bombing etc. w/the members stops. Not intentionally, but they are moving on, as well.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.