Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: su ( )
Date: May 17, 2011 01:42PM

I get confused, at times why "ex mormons" always find the need to parade around calling themselves ex mormons. Here in the Bay area. I don't see other people from other religions doing the same. I am just not sure why "ex mormorms" can't just drop it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rogertheshrubber ( )
Date: May 17, 2011 01:45PM

Posted by: rj ( )
Date: May 17, 2011 01:46PM

I can't speak for everyone, but many of us still have family members stuck in the cult. Additionally, even though I have left the nonsense behind, I carry scars from the 30 years I spent in the Morg.

It's sort of like being a survivor of some terrible event.

Posted by: luckychucky ( )
Date: May 17, 2011 01:47PM

If you have'nt met an ex catholic or an ex baptist you aren't trying very hard. Most ex mormons or ex anythings I have met are only vocal about it in support forums or when they feel thier beliefs are under assault.

Heres a question for you. Why are the ex mormons supposed to quietly shut the hell up while the believing mormons are permitted to continue openly selling thier rediculas cult mindset unopposed?

Posted by: Queen of Denial ( )
Date: May 17, 2011 01:48PM

However, since you asked.

I don't go around parading my exmormon status IRL. Online, I do label myself exmormon. Isn't it obvious why I would? I'm trying to find people who are going through similar things.

If someone asks, I definitely distance myself from the mormons. Why would I want to be associated with such a dangerous, conceited, crazy religion?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2011 01:54PM by Queen of Denial.

Posted by: Rod ( )
Date: May 17, 2011 01:51PM

I have never seen an "ex-mo" parade? Where are they held? Why was I not invited.

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: May 17, 2011 01:53PM

Please provide some real life examples of ex-Mormons who "parade" around calling themselves ex-Mormons.

Posted by: Charlie ( )
Date: May 17, 2011 01:54PM

I do not call myself an ex-mormon. I will admit to having been a restorationist of several flavors in my past. Why does this all still concern me? Because I was a fool and allowed the MO to taint and confuse my life. Don't get me wrong, it was my fault and no one else's. I'm not dim therefore I don't know why I didn't see the light and get out earlier.

Any residual anger I feel is because members of my family are still trapped in mormonism. My older sister is being used and abused. Over 70, diabetic with CHF and they have her painting park benches and cleaning restrooms. BS!

Now, if your don't like what your read here, take yourself hence!

Thank you

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: May 17, 2011 01:56PM

It is a way of identifying themselves as no longer part of the LDS Church and their "tribe." Personally, I'm not interested anymore in stories about why someone is an ex-Mormon. It's their personal business.

I don't use the term in conversation, however, If someone asks, or the subject comes up, I will remark that I used to be LDS but not anymore. If they ask why I make it brief: I changed my mind, I don't believe the claims. Then I change the subject.

The question is: why would you have any concerns about how other people identify themselves?

Posted by: chulotc is snarky ( )
Date: May 17, 2011 01:56PM

Nature has a way of balancing itself out.

Why is that every time some kolobian kid goes on american idol or the voice or any other tv program, they ALWAYS have to say they're a kolobian?

We're just doing our part to balance the equation. That's all.

Posted by: Queen of Denial ( )
Date: May 17, 2011 02:02PM

Date: May 17, 2011 01:59PM

I just don't get if it was so horrible that you had to leave it. wouldn't you NOT want to talk about it? but instead it seems like a constant topic of conversation....my Muslim friends don't go around saying, oh I'm not Mormon.

I am curious as to why someone would like to Label themselves as such....

Date: May 17, 2011 02:02PM

Prevention is better than cure. Whatever we can do to make sure no other homo sapien has to endure the long-term damage that the kolobian cult does to people, especially children, then the better off our entire species is.

Also, the same problems encountered in kolobianism are also apparent in the other major western religions, so it's like killing several birds with one stone.

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: May 17, 2011 02:03PM

For instance, people talk about their exWife or exHusband on a regular basis. They discuss their former schools regularly.

What strikes me is that the Mormon church seems remarkably sensitive to their "ex's" discussing their experiences. It's rather cultlike AND seriously dysfunctional of them. Really, grow up, put on some skin and get used to the fact that when you hurt people they tend to talk about it.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: May 17, 2011 02:16PM

su Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I just don't get if it was so horrible that you
> had to leave it. wouldn't you NOT want to talk
> about it? but instead it seems like a constant
> topic of conversation....my Muslim friends don't
> go around saying, oh I'm not Mormon.
>
> I am curious as to why someone would like to Label
> themselves as such....

I had, for the most part, a good experience as a member of the LDS Church. I was a young adult convert, married a returned missionary in the temple in the 60's, raised a family in the church.
Sure, I had some odd-ball experiences, it was: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly, just like I did at work and school. Human behavior is the same everywhere.

I left, after nearly 40 years because I could not longer believe the claims that did not hold up to scrutiny.

I am much happier now without the religious controls in my life. I am married to a believer, for nearly 49 years, and that won't change.

Perhaps my analysis will help you understand better.

Mormonism, in my long experience and observation is more accurately described as a patriarchal, generational, cultural, religious tribe. In fact the word: tribe is used in their lexicon. As a convert, I was considered an adopted member of the tribe. Considering how tribes manifest, it is, in my view, the best way to understand how Mormonism creates a whole paradigm for the individual in a familial, societal, religious context aka tribe.
Leaving Mormonism is, for many, leaving their tribe in every sense of the word.

Date: May 17, 2011 02:00PM

I don't feel a need to "drop it" as Christians continue to make judgements about me and my religious status.

Posted by: Holy the Ghost ( )
Date: May 17, 2011 02:05PM

There is a church, commonly called the Mormon church, that has some 50,000 out there at any time telling people what they believe to be important.
Is it okay for them to talk about their beliefs?

Yes, then me too.

Posted by: rogertheshrubber ( )

Not trolls. SU is obviously a member of TSCC who is fighting the good fight.

It doesn't merit an answer.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )

Why do mormons always find the need to parade around calling themselves mormons ?

Date: May 17, 2011 02:10PM

Posted by: Stunted ( )
Date: May 17, 2011 02:09PM

So they survived cancer.... big whup! I just don't get why they have to have fundraiser 5k races and wear shirts etc. Why can't they just move on and leave poor, persecuted cancer alone?

Date: May 17, 2011 02:10PM

where I live, I don't think they do. People are kinda surprised if they find out someone is Mormon. but then again. its not utah either.

Posted by: angsty ( )
Date: May 17, 2011 02:12PM

Have you not heard of support groups before? Talk therapy?

You are visiting a support site for people who are dealing with issues about leaving the Mormon church. Why wouldn't it be a constant topic of conversation HERE? Of course people are going to identify as ex-Mormons HERE.

Your weirdness and willful ignorance of the obvious smells of Mormonism.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: May 17, 2011 02:17PM

Why would someone come to an EXMORON site and ask such a silly question? Time to move along su.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.