Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder George Carlin ( )
Date: May 17, 2011 10:16PM

"You can find things in the traditional religions which are very benign and decent and wonderful and so on, but I mean, the Bible is probably the most genocidal book in the literary canon. The God of the Bible - not only did He order His chosen people to carry out literal genocide - I mean, wipe out every Amalekite to the last man, woman, child, and, you know, donkey and so on, because hundreds of years ago they got in your way when you were trying to cross the desert - not only did He do things like that, but, after all, the God of the Bible was ready to destroy every living creature on earth because some humans irritated Him. That's the story of Noah. I mean, that's beyond genocide - you don't know how to describe this creature. Somebody offended Him, and He was going to destroy every living being on earth? And then He was talked into allowing two of each species to stay alive - that's supposed to be gentle and wonderful."
- Noam Chomsky, Interview by Wallace Shawn, October 19, 2004

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: May 17, 2011 10:17PM

Posted by: rj ( )
Date: May 17, 2011 10:27PM

Nothing needs to be said, but what usually IS said consists of nonsense concerning "useful parts" of the Bible, or how one doesn't need to take the stories literally. I've heard it argued that the bible is worthwhile as a literary work, or how one needs to have read it to understand WTF Shakespear is talking about sometimes.

I think it's worth reading the Bible if you care about what is true and want to see conclusive evidence that Christianity and Judaism are not based in anything resembling truth.

The end.

Posted by: Northrop Frye ( )
Date: May 17, 2011 10:53PM

Shakespear? Who the f*ck is Shakespear, you pretentious, illiterate ass.

You can't even spell Shakespeare, much less understand what he has written. You don't even know what you don't know.

Do your parents know you are on the computer unsupervised?

Posted by: Queen of Denial ( )
Date: May 17, 2011 10:58PM

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: May 18, 2011 12:08AM

"Shake - spear -- get it?"

Oh, and he was a whoopsie too!

;)

Posted by: rj ( )
Date: May 17, 2011 10:58PM

LOL, the list of things my parents don't know about what I do on a daily basis is long.

Seriously though, when you said "you don't even know what you don't know" my mind kicked off a philosophical debate which I've been having with myself for several minutes.

To what extent can a person know what it is they don't know?
Maybe it's just the beer, but that seems deep to me at the moment.

Posted by: Elder George Carlin ( )
Date: May 17, 2011 11:00PM

Posted by: Googler ( )
Date: May 18, 2011 05:11AM

rj Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> LOL, the list of things my parents don't know
> about what I do on a daily basis is long.
>
> Seriously though, when you said "you don't even
> know what you don't know" my mind kicked off a
> philosophical debate which I've been having with
> myself for several minutes.
>
> To what extent can a person know what it is they
> don't know?
> Maybe it's just the beer, but that seems deep to
> me at the moment.

You might find this interesting:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect

The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which unskilled people make poor decisions and reach erroneous conclusions, but their incompetence denies them the metacognitive ability to appreciate their mistakes.[1] The unskilled therefore suffer from illusory superiority, rating their ability as above average, much higher than it actually is, while the highly skilled underrate their own abilities, suffering from illusory inferiority. Actual competence may weaken self-confidence, as competent individuals may falsely assume that others have an equivalent understanding. As Kruger and Dunning conclude, "the miscalibration of the incompetent stems from an error about the self, whereas the miscalibration of the highly competent stems from an error about others" (p. 1127).[2]
The effect is about paradoxical defects in cognitive ability, in oneself and others.

Hypothesis

The hypothesized phenomenon was tested in a series of experiments performed by Justin Kruger and David Dunning, both then of Cornell University.[2][5] Kruger and Dunning noted earlier studies suggesting that ignorance of standards of performance is behind a great deal of incompetence. This pattern was seen in studies of skills as diverse as reading comprehension, operating a motor vehicle, and playing chess or tennis.

Kruger and Dunning proposed that, for a given skill, incompetent people will:

tend to overestimate their own level of skill;

fail to recognize genuine skill in others;

fail to recognize the extremity of their inadequacy;

recognize and acknowledge their own previous lack of skill, if they can be trained to substantially improve.

Dunning has since drawn an analogy ("the anosognosia of everyday life")[1][6] to a condition in which a person who suffers a physical disability because of brain injury seems unaware of or denies the existence of the disability, even for dramatic impairments such as blindness or paralysis.

Posted by: justanotherprettypiece ( )
Date: May 18, 2011 05:23AM

I came across a story about a bank robber who thought he was this amazing, fantastic bank robber. Instead of covering his face he was putting lemon juice all over it and figured it kept cameras from seeing his face. To test this, he had taken a picture of himself with his own camera and wasn't in it so he assumed the lemon juice did the trick LOL.

Thanks for the info, interesting stuff!

Posted by: KettleMeister ( )
Date: November 03, 2011 07:54PM

Chomsky is noooo Shakespeare or Carlin! How dare some of you fools. Carlin on the other hand is much more relevant and modernly important than Shakespeare...

Posted by: Mateo Pastor ( )
Date: May 18, 2011 08:44AM

"A wise man is always consumed by doubts, but an idiot is always certain"

Or something to that effect, anyway.

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: May 18, 2011 02:46AM

gc, I love your quotes. You have yet to post something that hasn't made me think.

Posted by: Mateo Pastor ( )
Date: May 18, 2011 03:58AM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.