Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: vasalissasdoll ( )
Date: May 18, 2011 01:08PM

It's just like most "suggestions":

Women wearing pantyhose

No additional piercings or tattoos

No hair color or style which departs from the norm

White shirts and ties, if not a suit, for men

You can buck 'em, but good luck ever doing more then handing out hymnals.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: May 18, 2011 01:11PM

You might see them more often in the US but not in other countries.
Being clean shaven is mandatory for leadership. You betcha!

Posted by: nwmcare ( )
Date: May 18, 2011 01:22PM

Funny. Jesus had a beard. And he never wore a short sleeved white shirt. If he comes back on Saturday, he sure as heck ain't gonna be recognized in Salt Lake City . . .

Date: May 18, 2011 02:41PM

nwmcare Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Funny. Jesus had a beard. And he never wore a
> short sleeved white shirt. If he comes back on
> Saturday, he sure as heck ain't gonna be
> recognized in Salt Lake City . . .

Ya, but we are not living in Israel 2000 years ago! Times change. I don't find any scripture that says people are to dress like they did in Biblical times to be believers!

Date: May 18, 2011 02:52PM

SusieQ#1 Wrote:

> Ya, but we are not living in Israel 2000 years
> ago! Times change. I don't find any scripture that
> says people are to dress like they did in Biblical
> times to be believers!

And we aren't living in the 1950's, the age of conformity, either. Which was the last time the short sleeved white shirts and clean shaven faces for men was de riguer. Mormons are nothing if not conformists, and Christ was a non-conformist 2000 years ago and he'd be a non-conformist now.

He'd be hanging with the sinners and not the Saints.

I repeat--he wouldn't be recognized in SLC. Except maybe by the homeless, the sick, the imprisoned, the disenfranchised or the RfM's (who would be delighted to share their beer, terrific people that they are!).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2011 02:53PM by nwmcare.

Date: May 19, 2011 12:21AM

careers for men. So are suits, and conservative shirts and ties and polished shoes!

Posted by: Queen of Denial ( )
Date: May 19, 2011 12:33AM

My husband is in a very professional field where appearance is very important. He has a well groomed goatee as do many of his co-workers.

Also, let's not forget, that we are supposed to be talking about a so-called church here, not a corporation... supposedly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2011 12:37AM by Queen of Denial.

Date: May 19, 2011 09:49AM

SusieQ#1 Wrote:
> careers for men. So are suits, and conservative
> shirts and ties and polished shoes!

My DH is a professional who has a job that requires him to wear shirt, tie and suit!

He (and many of his colleagues) has a nicely trimmed beard and wears dress shirts in a variety of colors (but rarely white), man made fabrics (never synthetic) and stripes and never, ever, for any reason despite the heat in Texas, short sleeved. That would be like wearing white socks with dress shoes or pocket protectors. Out of style and in bad taste.

In short, do you really want a person who is so completely clueless about what is in style in a leadership role? I mean, who knows what else are they out of touch with, not paying attention to, or simply ignoring because 'it's always been done this way'.

Posted by: T-Rex ( )
Date: May 19, 2011 01:12PM

It's about image and has nothing to do with spirituality. Oh, they say it's about demonstrating obedience. But really, the MORG wants people to look the wholesome, delightful, superficial model they market to non-mormons, which teaches appearance over substance.

Posted by: T-Rex ( )
Date: May 19, 2011 01:15PM

And a lot of lawyers wear classy jeans and polo shirts to work. I wear slacks and a dress shirt personally, but sometimes a suit and tie. Bottom line: we do not have a mandatory dress code. Each lawyer can wear what they like because we are supposed be adults and have good judgment.

The Morg HATES people using their own judgment.

Posted by: dthenonreligious ( )
Date: May 19, 2011 03:05PM

Adults in the Morg? Whoda thunk it.

Posted by: Stormy ( )
Date: May 19, 2011 12:25AM

Priest last Sat subbing for our pastor...had a great beard..All our priests have small beards or staches...

stormy

Date: May 19, 2011 09:53AM

Gee, snarky, didn't know you of all people were a literalist! LOL!

History lesson (no pictures, just written): the Jews from that era and location wore beards as per their religious custom. The occupying Roman legions did not.

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: May 19, 2011 10:15AM

nwmcare Wrote:
> Funny. Jesus had a beard.

How do you know that? Nowhere is there a contemporary description of what Jesus looked like. All pictorial representations of Jesus are just some artist's imagination, and the oldest of them was made hundreds of years after anyone who had actually seen Jesus had died.

Date: May 19, 2011 11:31AM

RPackham Wrote:
---------------------------------------------------
> How do you know that? Nowhere is there a
> contemporary description of what Jesus looked
> like. All pictorial representations of Jesus are
> just some artist's imagination, and the oldest of
> them was made hundreds of years after anyone who
> had actually seen Jesus had died.

Again: history, not pictures. In the era and location Jesus lived in, men of his religious background wore beards.

Posted by: Crathes ( )
Date: May 19, 2011 07:44AM

I will wager a steak dinner that you will see a distinct reduction in the focus on white shirts. They have set the pattern, and the local de facto pressure will continue, but you will hear it less from the GC speakers.

I think they might be realizing that if they wish to be seen as a global organization, they need to focus on things that are more important that shirt color.

On the other hand.......

Posted by: WinksWinks nli ( )
Date: May 19, 2011 07:57AM

My dad is in the bishopric and wears a full beard.

And.... he plays santa some years, so I think that's why he gets a pass.

And, he has a fine professional career job too, and no one at work has ever said boo about it, so lay off the ancient expectations. Although he did shave it once for losing a friendly wager at work, no one has ever told him to shave it in order to "go further" ar for dress code or anything else that ridiculous.

Posted by: verdacht ( )
Date: May 19, 2011 12:00PM

My bishop always wore a gotee. Had a member of the bishopric with a full nicely trimmed beard.

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: May 19, 2011 12:02PM

It is common policy to ask bishops to shave their beards, but not the councilors. At least that has been my observation from talking to men who have become bishops. I don't think it's officially on the books, though. Some bishops in more relaxed, rural stakes have been known to get away with things like moustaches.

Posted by: exmollymo ( )
Date: May 19, 2011 12:06PM

My FIL was called to work in the temple cafeteria, but before he could work there he had to be clean shave. He told mess himself.

I was personally happy that he shaved it because it was unkept and made him look very creepy and scary. He's a really weird guy to begin with. He even "knows" when Christ will come again...guess when...April 6th!!!! But FIL would not disclose the year.

Posted by: Rob ( )
Date: May 19, 2011 12:30PM

Putting on my tinfoil hat here....

The beards are only worn by those in leadership when they are engaged in polygamy, as a tribute to Brigham Young. No extra wives means no extra facial hair.

Off topic. I work in a corporate environment where the managers and wanna-be managers wear suits and ties. I wear golf shirts and jeans. We have a saying that "Wearing jeans indicates that you're here to work, wearing a suit says 'I'm here to lie to you.'"

I really hope I live to see the day that we get rid of ties and suits and handshakes and get down to doing work rather than all the BS posturing that goes on. So many useless links in the chain.

Posted by: NyNeverMO ( )
Date: May 19, 2011 01:03PM

Would men with shaved heads be looked at askance?

Posted by: Richard the Bad ( )
Date: May 19, 2011 02:36PM

I think it becomes more and more of a suggestion, rather than a rule, the farther you get from the moridor.

Date: May 19, 2011 09:46PM

Holy crap. How 'bout everyone shave their heads (and beards!) and all bear their testimonies this Sunday in honor of this thread?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.