Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: May 19, 2011 10:39AM

have you noticed that TBM's commenting on news articles, blogs, etc. seem to have a disproportionate number of spelling and grammar errors?

As a teacher, I came to the opinion that most of our ability to spell correctly came not from weekly spelling lists but from reading on a wide variety of subjects. My sense is that people who read and study and find their way out of TSSC just seem to have a better grasp on spelling and grammar.

Or maybe not?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: May 19, 2011 10:43AM

speling and grammer are indicaters of edumacation aint it??? :)

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: May 19, 2011 10:47AM

And don't even get me started on the logical fallacies. I wish we were teaching logic in elementary school...

Posted by: Puli ( )
Date: May 19, 2011 12:20PM

I have sometimes copied posts over to a word document so I can run and spelling and grammar proof-read program on it. Other times, I notice after the fact that I left out a word I though I had written or some other stupid error. I would think a lot of these errors are more the result of not checking rather than lack of education.

My spelling has been improved by spell check, however, and it continues to be challenged (I know I am a notoriously bad speller).

Date: May 19, 2011 12:31PM

You are so right, Puli!

And also spelling has much to do with having a strong visual memory.

Posted by: Thomas Q. Monson ( )
Date: May 19, 2011 12:33PM

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 19, 2011 12:35PM

Posted by: voweaver ( )
Date: May 19, 2011 01:37PM

The ONE recurring error in grammar that makes me think of squeaking chalk on a blackboard is when a TBM "bares" his or her testimony.

I'm reminded of the classic Superman scene where Clark Kent rips his white shirt open and you see the red "S" of the costume underneath.

"BARING" testimony inspires the thought of TBMs ripping THEIR shirts open to show the Super Garmies to the world!

~VOW

Date: May 19, 2011 01:41PM

Maybe they are the wisest of all!

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: May 19, 2011 03:36PM

spelling mistakes, grammar errors, it's rampant. It has nothing to do with religion, in my view. It's a sign of the times.

I think it 's because we are a verbal society, not a written one. People used to write letters, pride themselves on their use of the language and spelling, but now days they use text, or talk on the phone, use chat, etc, (and like someone said to me: you don't have to know how to spell to talk.)

I think the lack of correct spelling and grammar errors are a sign of a different kind of society that is much more verbal, and into a kind of shorthand used in emails, texts, and chat on line.

Proper English and grammar and spelling is not a high priority anymore. I have read articles from college professors that are appalled by the bad grammar and lack of correct spelling. Spelling ought to be easier to handle as most programs have spell check, which, I use a lot!

Communication is also very diverse, there are dozens of inner city dialects that have a complete language that others outside the area don't have a clue about.

Posted by: Scooter ( )
Date: May 19, 2011 03:39PM

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: May 19, 2011 03:50PM

"It's" is the abbreviation of It is; "Its" is the possessive form.

Date: May 19, 2011 03:54PM

itzpapalotl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "It's" is the abbreviation of It is; "Its" is the
> possessive form.

Scooter is on the "dig" at SusieQ#1 rampage. It's been going on for years.
This time he was totally incorrect. So I get a huge laugh!!

Date: May 19, 2011 03:52PM

correct.
But I expected you to find one more thing wrong with me! Seems to be one of your habits that you delight in -- at least you didn't call me one of your more colorful names this time. Gosh, I miss the laughs!!

Posted by: Scooter ( )
Date: May 19, 2011 06:02PM

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: May 19, 2011 04:30PM

I use the contraction more often than the possesive, so it's a habit. These sorts of things happen.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: May 19, 2011 04:44PM

We all make mistakes...I like to have proper spelling, punctuation, grammar, etc... but it's not like I have that part of my brain functioning all the time. Sometimes I'm only on my third cup of coffee or I'm on my third glass of wine, lol.
I also hate my use of the passive voice when writing. The only time I tend to get bitchy about grammar and such is when someone else is acting like an ass.

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: May 19, 2011 05:56PM

Passive voice and other more ambiguous writing methods have been used by myself in the past. Also, mistakes have never been made by me.

Posted by: Sorcha ( )
Date: May 19, 2011 06:22PM

snb Wrote:
> Passive voice and other more ambiguous writing
> methods have been used by myself in the past.
> Also, mistakes have never been made by me.

(snort) I laughed so hard my Chianti came out my nose. Thank you!

Posted by: spaghettimonster ( )
Date: May 19, 2011 04:08PM

....ohhhh, you started a sentence with a proposition!! You must be arrested!

Posted by: spaghettimonster ( )
Date: May 19, 2011 04:08PM

How was that for a spelling error??? LOL

Posted by: Mateo Pastor ( )
Date: May 19, 2011 04:42PM

I rarely read any TBM comments anywhere, but I must say I find a lot of spelling errors on this board as well. The one I most love to hate is when people spell "ad nauseam" ending in -um. There are a lot of nouns ending in -um (like museum) but this one is derived from a noun ending in -a (nausea). Not that I speak any Latin whatsoever.

The mix-ups between it's and its, or they're and their, or you're and your are also distracting. Though it gets hilarious when people tell me "your dumb!" I always reply "my what?"

Date: May 19, 2011 05:53PM

How do you know whether a comment is TBM or not?

Date: May 19, 2011 05:53PM

As a teacher, I see Mormons and non-Mormons who have serious spelling and grammar issues. A lot of folks think that this is because kids aren't reading (not true at all) or that kids aren't getting enough good schooling (also not true).

Language is evolving. Grammar (syntax and spelling especially) aren't nearly as important in informal written speech as it was when I was growing up. This is a direct result from how communication has evolved so drastically. Also, it doesn't help that we don't have institutions like the Academia Real (Royal Academy) to try and keep our language in line.

So, in short, this sort of thing has nothing to do with intelligence and is a completely normal phenomenon.

Date: May 19, 2011 05:57PM

snb Wrote:
> As a teacher, I see Mormons and non-Mormons who
> have serious spelling and grammar issues. A lot
> of folks think that this is because kids aren't
> reading (not true at all) or that kids aren't
> getting enough good schooling (also not true).
>
> Language is evolving. Grammar (syntax and
> spelling especially) aren't nearly as important in
> informal written speech as it was when I was
> growing up. This is a direct result from how
> communication has evolved so drastically. Also,
> it doesn't help that we don't have institutions
> like the Academia Real (Royal Academy) to try and
> keep our language in line.
>
> So, in short, this sort of thing has nothing to do
> with intelligence and is a completely normal
> phenomenon.

YES. I agree. Informal written language is more casual...

Posted by: WickedTwin ( )
Date: May 19, 2011 06:35PM

When I am writing an article or something to be turned in to a professor, I make sure everything is spot-on grammar and punctuation-wise.

When I write emails, on FB, on boards and the like, I view it as having a conversation. Conversationally, I DO make grammar and tense mistakes at times. Obviously I do not make spelling errors speaking :P And I do use eye dialect in informal writing.

I feel as though editing my comments to be "perfectly" written makes me sound stilted and that's not the voice I normally have.

My phone has a feature I call autoincorrect, so some of my spelling errors when posting from my phone are a result of being "corrected" and I didn't catch it. Conversely, there are some I expect it to catch and it does not. I suspect there are other iPhone posters with the same issue.

I am not sure if other mobile devices have a traditional spell check but that is the closest mine has. Imperfect to say the least, and many people post from mobile devices.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2011 06:40PM by WickedTwin.

Posted by: verdacht ( )
Date: May 19, 2011 07:07PM

The older I get the worse my spelling becomes. My grammar sucks because I'm a lazy writer. I've always had a terrible time maintaining the proper tense. See?

I have a friend whose son teaches a college course. He received a term paper where "U" was used in place of "you." Automatic "F".
Even I'm not that bad.

Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put.
Winston Churchill

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2011 07:26PM by verdacht.

Posted by: sonflower ( )
Date: May 19, 2011 07:45PM

I agree, as I have noticed many spelling and grammar errors, But what really bugs the heck out of me is how many people begin their sentences with "so" as in, "So, yesterday at church".... etc. Just start your sentence with, "Yesterday at church!" Drop the "so's"! They are awkward to read and not necessary. Also, many spelling errors are made by simply hitting the wrong key and not proofreading, not always ignorance of spelling rules and grammar. I've caught errors I have made, and I'm a teacher!

Posted by: notasheeple ( )
Date: May 20, 2011 07:38PM

evur since i went 2 the evilin woodhead sped ridin corse my ridin has inproved wunderfuly

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: May 20, 2011 07:55PM

As a teacher if they don't learn it in K - 5th they will not be good spellers. They must practice writing every day at my school-they create thinking maps with a pencil and paper mind you and then do what is called a tree map and then do the rough draft and then the final copy. This goes on for yrs. in many elementary schools. The writing test in 5th grade is a real bear and they must prepare them for it. The five paragraph essay with a topic sentence, supporting details and closing are essential to pass the test.

So my point is, the kid learns it or he doesn't. If he gets extra help at home all the better. But we all know that letting bad habits slide, just makes them think they don't have to really do it. And it makes them look less intelligent as they become teens and adults. I don't think every word must be perfect from young ones but I do think common words should be and ones they have practiced for years. No excuse on the contractions- NONE! My first graders know nearly all of them and how to use them. One trips them up...their, there and they're.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.